53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Win - Promotion this season

19 35.85%
  • Lose - Karanka Out

26 49.06%
  • Draw - Karanka Out

8 15.09%
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchday 28: Wolves vs Nottingham Forest - Official Matchday Thread!

Default Matchday 28: Wolves vs Nottingham Forest - Official Matchday Thread!

Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Nottingham Forest

Following a narrow defeat in his first game as Forest boss, Aitor Karanka will be hoping for a strong response from his players when they take on league leaders Wolves at Molineux.

The new garibaldi gaffer had this to say after Scott Hogan ended his away goal draught to ensure victory for the Villains at the City Ground. "We haven't had time to prepare for the game the way I like to prepare for games."

It will be interesting to see what effect Karanka's appointment has tactically and just maybe we will see some changes to personnel between now and Saturday.

Wolves of course go into the game as the bookies' favourites (2/5 Sky Bet), but Forest go into the game as somewhat of an unknown quantity, given Karanka is (perhaps unfairly) renowned for imposing a playing style that is almost the antithesis of the patient, possession base approach of Warbuton sides.

The West Midlands outfit go into the game off the back of a goalless stalemate at Oakwell that saw them stretch their unbeaten run to 14 games. The Wanderers will be fairly confident of picking up three points against a Nottingham Forest side languishing in 15th place and that has struggled for consistency so far this campaign.

Forest showed just what they can do last week when, under the stewardship of caretaker manager Gary Brazil, they dumped reigning champions Arsenal out of the FA Cup with a 4-2 victory courtesy of a brace from Eric Lichaj and spot kicks from youngsters Ben Brereton and Kieron Dowell.

Wolves are not unbeatable but they have only fallen to three defeats so far this season and have conceded the fewest goals in the competition. Forest will need to defend resolutely and display a sense of urgency if they are to repeat their Arsenal heroics.

Reverse Fixture
    16/09/2017
    Nottingham Forest 1 - 2 Wolves

In a game to forget for the Reds there was one moment to remember...

Full highlights here

Danger Men

Léo Bonatini has scored 12 goals for Wolves this season after arriving on loan from Saudi outfit Al Hilal. Diogo Jota, who has scored 11 goals so far this campaign, is a player that Forest will be wary of, having netted twice when the sides met at the City Ground in September.

Wolves have strength in depth and talent all over the park having made 12 summer signings including Rubin Neves who cost £15.8m from Porto. Wolves have already been active in the January transfer window, acquiring Rafa Mir from Valencia after beating none other than Real Madrid in the race to sign the forward. An often clumsy Forest defence will have their work cut out if they are to deal with an exceptional free scoring Wolves that have already bagged 50 goals this season.

Strengths & Weaknesses

Classic Fixture

Brian Clough's table topping Nottingham Forest take on Wolves in February 1978.

Last edited by LowerBridgfordHerts; 14-01-18 at 01:25.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Matchday 28: Wolves vs Nottingham Forest - Official Matchday Threat

Smith

Darikwa
    Worrall
    Mancienne
    Traore

Ward
    Osborn
    Bridcutt
    Cash
    McKay

Brereton

4-2 win.

Can mods please edit the name of this.

Although I do like the sound of our 'matchday threat!'

Assuming we don't recruit during the week

Smith
    Darikwa Worrall Mance Lichaj
    Bridcutt Osborn
    Cash Dowell McKay
    Brereton

If Sunderland can get a point there then we can.

If we're honest, with Wolves unbeaten in 14 (10 wins) its unlikely.

Performance should be the main focus.

Another defeat putting lots of early pressure on AK. If we could somehow get a point it would be fantastic.
    After the cup game v Hull the fixtures look a lot less daunting and the results in those will determine our season.

We will surprise them with a 0v2 win.....we "do" inconsistent.

Left Winger

Default Re: Matchday 28: Wolves vs Nottingham Forest - Official Matchday Thread!

Park the bus, let down it’s tyres and throw the keys down the nearest sewer grate.

0-0 bore-fest, Joe Worrall and Liam Bridcutt “men of the match” in an Alamo-esque performance that has Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie applauding from Heaven.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Default Re: Matchday 28: Wolves vs Nottingham Forest - Official Matchday Thread!

I wouldn’t be surprised if we won this and raised expectations for the next game which we will duly lose

Quote Originally Posted by nffc13 View Post
    Smith

Darikwa
    Worrall
    Mancienne
    Traore

Ward
    Osborn
    Bridcutt
    Cash
    McKay

Brereton

4-2 win.
    I'm amazed you could even think of leaving Linhaj out. One of our more consistent players. Darikwa can't defend.

My eleven:

Smith

Linhaj
    Worrall
    Mancienne
    Traore - only because we only one left back.

Cash
    Vaughan
    Dowell
    Ward
    Osborn

Brereton

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post

.....an Alamo-esque performance that has Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie applauding from Heaven.

"Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?"

Like the OP but this myth that Karanka is worlds apart from Warburtons footballing ethos is, for want of a better phrase, a crock of shit.

He plays patient passing football that attempts to move through the thirds and create overloads of tight intricate passing for attacking threat. The variance Karanka has over Warburton is that he prefers tight defensive organisation over risky decision making.

People setting themselves up for a fall with this nonsense and half the reason the team got booed off yet again yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By far our toughest game of the season. Can't see us getting anything from it, but it will be another excellent chance for the manager to identify the weak links in the team. With a bit of luck we'll have a couple of new signings in by this game too.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

We're going to get a beating, more calls that Karanka is useless and Dowel only does the"shit fancy stuff".

How do you compete when one of their players cost more than our squad, or gets paid more than our starting 11.

I walk around like everything is fine but deep down, in my shoe, my sock is sliding off.

Take a 0 0 all day.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Karanka Mutineer

Best served cold

It’s going to be a beating but will again show Karanka what he needs to fix.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Impressive member

We'll get a right shafting.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I actually reckon we'll nick summat here. Hopefully. We could slip down to 18th otherwise

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

This is one of those no lose games...

...Until we lose, then panic stations.

Can't see anything but sadly, Worrall is back but not sure else else we can change really.

0-2 or 0-3 and move on quickly.

We get hammered 4 or 5 nil. Derby win and close the gap on leaders. The queue starts at Hooters and leads to Trent bridge with people throwing themselves in the river

The Wand!

Another game I don't think we've got the minerals for.
    A draw would be a good result.

2-0 Wolfs.

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    I actually reckon we'll nick summat here. Hopefully. We could slip down to 18th otherwise
    Been dreading this run of fixtures for a few months, I expected we'd drop several places in January and its begun.
    February's fixtures gives you a lot more optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Been dreading this run of fixtures for a few months, I expected we'd drop several places in January and its begun.
    February will be to late. We'll all be bloated corpses floating past Newark then

Not that type of player

Toughest game of the season.

It’s a good time for the new manager to come in, to see how we measure up against two of the best teams straight away.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Not to mention Billy's return then too

Unless we sign 4 new players and get a new spine in the team, I don't hold much hope for this one sadly.