Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Premium Watches

Default Premium Watches

Not one for starting threads but as LTLF is the font of all knowledge thought I'd seek some opinions on here.

I've been wearing the same Oakley watch for the past 13 years, picked it up for a few hundred dollars when I was in Florida back in 2005, and it's definitely seen better days. The case is a bit scuffed and the rubber loop that holds the strap down broke off a while ago. This is it if anyone is interested So it's time for a change.

I don't want to spend stupid money so I've allocated a budget of £500. I'd like one with automatic movement and ideally a leather strap. At that price point I'm looking at brands like Tissot, Ingersoll, Hamilton, Bulova & Certina. So just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, opinions, recommendations to share which might help me with my decision.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Left Winger

Default Re: Premium Watches

I have a Tissot Tachymeter which Iíve had for ten years and it has been brilliant.

Itís travelled the world with me and still looks brand new.

Obligatory:

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Ginger

Rice # 42

Beat me!

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MariAndy!s View Post
    Gets all the girls

Not yours, it doesn't havd 80085 on the display.

Quote Originally Posted by bhastings316 View Post
    Not one for starting threads but as LTLF is the font of all knowledge thought I'd seek some opinions on here.

I've been wearing the same Oakley watch for the past 13 years, picked it up for a few hundred dollars when I was in Florida back in 2005, and it's definitely seen better days. The case is a bit scuffed and the rubber loop that holds the strap down broke off a while ago. This is it if anyone is interested So it's time for a change.

I don't want to spend stupid money so I've allocated a budget of £500. I'd like one with automatic movement and ideally a leather strap. At that price point I'm looking at brands like Tissot, Ingersoll, Hamilton, Bulova & Certina. So just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, opinions, recommendations to share which might help me with my decision.
    hamilton is the way to go. they are of great quality and not so boring like other brands. don't go for ingersoll, certina or bulova. they are of much lower quality. tissot are good watches, swatch group, but with lower diversity of designs. if you go upper with the budget you could see oris too.

if you want to give me more details on your preferences i can provide some ideas. do you want a dress watch? a diver? a pilot?

are you interested in new or considering pre-owned too? are you going to buy this from eshop? do you want small or big watches? i mean 40mm, 42mm, more? (depends on your wrist size mostly and your likes)

i have a long time interest in watches and a modest collection, and i had too many watches from various brands that are worn/sold/financed other purchases and i could help if you want.

for example

this would be a nice dress watch in this price range
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collect...-day-date-auto

a diver
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/fr/coll...avy-scuba-auto

i think that http://www.jomashop.com/ha.html has pretty good prices

Serious question Chris, I have had a Tissot also for 24 years but it has a simple 3 hands and a date face, without all those other dials you have. Have you ever used all those features or is it just aesthetics?

Quote Originally Posted by karteo View Post
    hamilton is the way to go.

if you want to give me more details on your preferences i can provide some ideas. do you want a dress watch? a diver? a pilot?

are you interested in new or considering pre-owned too? are you going to buy this from eshop? do you want small or big watches? i mean 40mm, 42mm, more? (depends on your wrist size mostly and your likes)

i have a long time interest in watches and a modest collection, and i had too many watches from various brands that are worn/sold/financed other purchases and i could help if you want.

for example

this would be a nice dress watch in this price range
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collect...-day-date-auto

a diver
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/fr/coll...avy-scuba-auto

i think that https://www.jomashop.com/ha.html has pretty good prices
    Want something to every day use really. Work and going out.

For what reasons would you prefer Hamilton over Tissot?

I've found this one that I really like https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/00011...c-Mens-Watch/p

My eye keeps being drawn back to Tissot's Powermatic range http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Mens-Tis...03/p/17360997/ although I have to say the more I look the more I'm leaning towards brown leather on the strap.

I mentioned Ingersoll but I'm reading very conflicting opinions about them online, I just liked the look of them as they are a bit less plain than most of the others at this kind of price. The "Armstrong" in particular caught my eye http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Ingersol...ch/p/17700094/

I certainly would consider pre-owned.

Last edited by bhastings316; 12-01-18 at 11:03.

and please keep in mind that automatic watches need a service every around 5 year. don't miss it in order to keep it running properly without issues and to avoid killing the movement. if you service an automatic watch properly you will keep it many many years

Want something to every day use really. Work and going out.

For what reasons would you prefer Hamilton over Tissot?

I've found this one that I really like https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/00011...c-Mens-Watch/p

My eye keeps being drawn back to Tissot's Powermatic range http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Mens-Tis...03/p/17360997/ although I have to say the more I look the more I'm leaning towards brown leather on the strap.

I mentioned Ingersoll but I'm reading very conflicting options about them online, I just liked the look of them as they are a bit less plain than most of the others at this kind of price. The "Armstrong" in particular caught my eye http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Ingersol...ch/p/17700094/

I certainly would consider pre-owned.
    i prefer hamilton over tissot, both members of the swatch group, because of the more modern style designs. i had both of these brands in the past and i found better the hamiltons.

i love this hamilton you just posted. it's really nice. the same stands for the tissot powermatic range

you can check chrono24.com for preowned. filter the location to UK if needed to find what is available there

don't go for ingersoll. they have chinese movements and not swiss like hamilton and tissot. not good.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Not yours, it doesn't havd 80085 on the display.
    I don't wear any jewelry.

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    Serious question Chris, I have had a Tissot also for 24 years but it has a simple 3 hands and a date face, without all those other dials you have. Have you ever used all those features or is it just aesthetics?
    Actually - yes I have on occasion.

Itís a Tachymeter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachymeter_(watch)) so the extra dials and numbers around the edge are used to convert elapsed time to speed (useful sometimes when cycling!)

The lady doth protest too much.

If it bleeps every hour, I'll take it.

I don't want to spend stupid money so I've allocated a budget of £500.
    HOW MUCH

Just check your phone for the time & boost the budgets on Fags, booze, William Hill & girls.

that's for you then:

statement watch

most accurate watch ever

the maths watch

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I like the maths watch.

If you need a time piece then you need a full suit, pocket watch and chain.

I walk around like everything is fine but deep down, in my shoe, my sock is sliding off.

Floating in space.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    I have a Tissot Tachymeter which I’ve had for ten years and it has been brilliant.

It’s travelled the world with me and still looks brand new.

Obligatory:

I have the same watch but much cooler as it has a blue face. When my dad died myself and my brothers got a grand each so I spent most of mine on a watch to have him with me. My little bro bought a power shower, he was being ironic as my dad used to shout 'Simon, get out the shar now', he was from Belfast. My older bro went to Tenerfife and shoved it all up his nose. When my battery ran out in England, I had to send the watch to Switzerland to get it changed. So posh, expensive though.

I haven't worn a watch for quiet a few years.

It's rare that I'm not near a clock or have some other time-telling device, close by.

When I don't, I'm probably not in need of the time.

I do have a watch that my mrs bought me, but I think it's more in the £200 range and is made of black titanium. It just tells the time.

Last edited by Red Unity; 12-01-18 at 12:35.
    We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

Floating in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    I haven't worn a watch for quiet a few years.

It's rare that I'm not near a clock or have some other time-telling device, close by.

When I don't, I'm probably not in need of the time.

I do have a watch that my mrs bought me, but I think it's more in the £200 range and is made of black titanium. It just tells the time.
    Mine just tells the time too as I have no idea what all the little dials do. I won't even wear it in the shower in case it gets broke. I think it can be submerged slightly more than the pressure of a par shar.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    I have the same watch but much cooler as it has a blue face. When my dad died myself and my brothers got a grand each so I spent most of mine on a watch to have him with me. My little bro bought a power shower, he was being ironic as my dad used to shout 'Simon, get out the shar now', he was from Belfast. My older bro went to Tenerfife and shoved it all up his nose. When my battery ran out in England, I had to send the watch to Switzerland to get it changed. So posh, expensive though.
    just for the battery you send it to Switzerland? mistake my friend. it could be changed and serviced there. anyway. i wish you to wear it and to time good memories past and future

Floating in space.

Quote Originally Posted by karteo View Post
    just for the battery you send it to Switzerland? mistake my friend. it could be changed and serviced there. anyway. i wish you to wear it and to time good memories past and future
    The watch shop or jeweler in the shopping centre in Nottingham told me it had to be sent away due to sealing it again so I just did it.

Too School for Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    I have a Tissot Tachymeter which Iíve had for ten years and it has been brilliant.

Itís travelled the world with me and still looks brand new.
    Looks a bit tachy to me