29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1 - "Old School Fan, modern football is rubbish"

8 27.59%
  • Option 2 - "I want it NOW!"

5 17.24%
  • Option 3 - "It's a Marathon, not a sprint"

16 55.17%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you serious about promotion?

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Default Re: Are you serious about promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    You can get banned for posting his picture without warning me!
    It's the one with that smug c**t and the smug c**t that made me mad!

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    It's the one with that smug c**t and the smug c**t that made me mad!
    C**ts have uses.

Left Winger

I have added a Poll, reflecting the three choices...

Let's see!

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

It's a case of wanting to get to the prem and stay there

Pork - Stuffing - Apple Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    It was in the closed season when we relegated - first former European Champion to drop to the third tier - and, according to Mark, we would be going back up at the first go. But it was essential that wevall bought season tickets.
    I could have swore it was 2004-05 in order to give Diamond Joe Kinnear a transfer war chest

MA., now he was a man with a plan.
    With him and Fawaz mentioned on the same thread I am going to require a visit to my medical cabinet.
    Is he still doing a cracking job at Yorkshire CCC?.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm serious about promotion, are you?

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    I could have swore it was 2004-05 in order to give Diamond Joe Kinnear a transfer war chest
    They even increased season ticket prices which they assured us to go towards getting new players, they even cited Ipswich as a club that had done the same thing the year before.

The only difference was that Ipswich bought players where we did eff all except drop down a league.

Do any of your options come with a 5-year plan?

Ideally I'd have relitively entertaining & competitive football; with a Forest/British core; and management + playing staff in place long enough to become "heroes".

Also, the disposable culture which erodes society is something which is rife in the game, and I'd love us to be what this area & club used to be, and that's trendsetters - by bucking that trend and building on traditional British values which saw this nation thrive.

Not trend-followers by lapping up the consumer-fueled tory consumerist brainwashing bullshit which makes everyone think something new & shiny is better.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO

far less pressure to finish top 6 this season, it's like a free gift for Karanka, go on 20 free games, an ok squad, 4 good signings required, maybe 2 will be enough, just do it ... NOw!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    Now you mention the war-chest I think you're right.

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

Not that type of player

I’m guessing GBG is wishing he’d chosen a different thread title.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Honestly, i'd be happy with finishing top six in the Championship consistently and a decent run in one of the cups. I like it when we win and if you look at our history, this league is probably our level.

If we can't get promoted and become a top half Premierleague team then I don't really want us to go up for the sake of it and be another one of these clubs that's getting piped by the bigger clubs every week.

oopsy daisy!

Seriously?

I just want to be proud of the team I support again.

Not just it's history, but what it is doing in the now.

Not too much to ask is it?

It appears so.

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Collymore! View Post
    Do any of your options come with a 5-year plan?
    Only if your name is Iosef Vissionarovich Stalin.

Bad girls do it well

serious
    /ˈsɪərɪəs/

adjective

demanding or characterized by careful consideration or application

If that's how the club are approaching promotion then I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    Don't be put off by the provocative Fawazesque thread title, I have a legitimate question for you. What do you really want for Forest?

I have often seen here pejorative comments about the Premier, the commercial turn of modern football, the big clubs with their high-paying, consumer fans, their lifeless stadia etc. Moreover, part of the whole Warburton debacle was the disappointment of some of you for owners sacking managers because of results. I have also seen a (healthy in my view) insistence on playing the right kind of football and on a good old-fashioned football experience on the field. Finally, I have often seen calls for tighter ties to the community (ties which the new regime, initially at least, promised to forge), as an essential aspect of ‘being Forest’.

My question therefore is, how do you view the future of Forest?

1. Stability, Championship, good football, stars of the academy, affordable ticket prices, pride in the achievements of the past, the occasional success against the Arsenals of this decayed football of theirs. We don't care about the behemoths of modern football, let them have their damn Premier and their Champions League and their plastic teams built for plastic fans. We like real football, the old-fashioned football experience. Success? Meh, we prefer the Mull of Kintyre, not to be forced to listen to sponsors’ jingles.

2. We want success and we want it now. We are two times Champions of Europe and nothing below this can ever be good enough. The Premier is the obvious goal, and we want to stay there and be competitive there. Of course we would like to do it the right way, of course we would like to succeed having first built solid football foundations, without moral sacrifices, and without having to succumb to total commercialization, but let’s not kid ourselves, we would brush aside any moral hesitation if real success came sooner rather than later.

3. It’s both Ithaca and the journey, obviously, not one or the other. It goes without saying that we want to make it to the top, we do not want to be second tier for the remainder of our days, but only in the right way. If we build the foundations of success and success does not come immediately, no problem; we have waited for decades, we can wait for more.

So, how serious are you about promotion?
    Option 3 for me (best of option 1 and option 2 merged basically, with some compromise potentially on both sides as I guess you are implying!).

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyBala View Post
    Honestly, i'd be happy with finishing top six in the Championship consistently and a decent run in one of the cups. I like it when we win and if you look at our history, this league is probably our level.

If we can't get promoted and become a top half Premierleague team then I don't really want us to go up for the sake of it and be another one of these clubs that's getting piped by the bigger clubs every week.
    i get what your saying was quite the same, we go up mid table season after season, is this what we want? at least in the championship we are playing for promotion or the playoffs?

Bad girls do it well

I'm of the opinion that if you do the right things the right way then promotion is a natural consequence of that, and one of those things is giving a manager a couple of seasons (at least) to build their team.

We've got a proven promotion manager now. No excuses Forest. Give him time.

Does it matter what we want? If recent history has taught us owt, if you don't realign at least some of your aspirations towards the owners, then supporting Forest can become a real chore.

For the record, I want to go up, although we haven't earnt it, I think we have a rightful place there. How do we get there?

Appoint a good all round manager with a track record that fulfills our brief & back him.
    Recruit players fit for purpose
    Be competitive at both ends of the pitch
    Show discernible & continual signs of improvement
    Die for the shirt, earn your luck & hope things fall right.

I think this manager gives us a great shot.

Last edited by MASE; 12-01-18 at 10:33.

I would like promotion, but am resigned to the fact that we will be no better than Everton, Newcastle, Southampton etc and will probably never win another trophy for the foreseeable future even if we are in the Prem.

I would like to see us beat ManUre again just to watch the misery of the Notts born ManUre traitors in the stands. Also we need to smite the vile Scouse good and proper.

i don't know whether fans are serious on promotion or not, but it is clear that the owner, the board, the management and Karanka are pretty serious.

now they have to deliver

Quote Originally Posted by karteo View Post
    i don't know whether fans are serious on promotion or not, but it is clear that the owner, the board, the management and Karanka are pretty serious.

now they have to deliver

20 years and waiting mate

I'd like to see some good investment before I'm convinced of the owner being serious.

We all known folk who at this time are serious about losing weight and getting fit, but most go to the gym twice, quit, and then stay fat fuckers the rest of their lives bar two gym sessions next year. It's all good saying these things, but doing them is where it's at.

To quote a wise man - "Actions speak louder than words", and financially I've seen little yet to suggest we wanted to do anything other than rebuild. The intent may be there, but that has to be backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by karteo View Post

now they have to deliver
    Or have a bloody good go without bankrupting us.

I've voted for a long term approach, firstly because I have terrible memories of appointing David Pl*%t, and spending loads of cash on crap past-it players in the hope of a swift return to the Premier League, and secondly because I took so much pleasure from the first two seasons under Paul Hart that I've always wanted the club to try the tactic of growing the club from within again.

In terms of the Premier League, the Burnley model looks an interesting template. Appoint a manager, back him to gain promotion, back him in the top division rather than chucking money around to stay there, don't just spend silly money but think about the infrastructure of the club.