Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Karanka signings

The below article is a list of the 47 players Karanka signed for Midlesbrough during his time there;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.gaz...h-11850039.amp

What is more apparent than I realised was quite how diverse his player policy appears to have been. A number of British players signed (and many of were decent/were developed into decent Championship-level players) only a handful of Spanish, and some aging journeyman.

So, this is maybe only so much help in guessing what he may do with Forest...

I would like to think he may concentrate on a new Goalkeeper (much as I’d like to see Smith retained and developed), a central defender, and a left back. I would say that all other postional areas of the team appear to be relatively strong and I would like to hope that the young players get their chances, and aren’t blocked by any incoming signings.

I think time should be up for at least Henderson, Mills, Hobbs, Fox, Ward and Cummings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's all about mid-table...

Default Re: Karanka signings

47 !!

I'd still like to see a right sided attacker/midfielder I think, and potentially a striker. The Arsenal result might seem to paper over the cracks somewhat I suspect, but of course just like when it comes to centre-backs the players should be decent value (considering whatever budget can be used) and genuinely add some improvement (and variation for the more attacking players, plus just squad depth especially if Ward and Cummings for example did move on soon or were out of the first team equation).

I know it might be thought of as blocking Cash playing down the right, and Brereton up front though. Depends who he can get I suppose, in terms of whether it's absolute first choices or adding to the squad with options. Cash might seem like he can do a Steve Stone type job on the right, but I also think (if Karanka went with it) he'd not be a bad option at all in central midfield as he could get up and down and help at both ends of the pitch, while presumably his partner in Karanka's 4-2-3-1 would generally sit in the middle more. As for Brereton I suppose when Arsenal fans start speculating about £50m bids it might seem like he should be first choice, but buying a new striker wouldn't have to mean freezing him out....though probably playing him on the right should be forgotten now shouldn't it especially if new options are made available for that slot.

Impressive member

Brereton worked well against Arsenal because they left gaps that he was able to exploit and either shoot or hold up to allow Dowell, Cash, etc time to push up with him.
    That won't work all the time, especially in the Championship where teams set up defensively. The more options we have, the better.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Looks like a scattergun approach to me.

Don't get the clamour for a new goalkeeper. What exactly does Smith have to do to prove he's good enough to retain the jersey? He's made three one on one saves in two games...

Signings we need now are very different to ones we need in Summer. Signings in this window should be players (probably younger ones) who need a longer time to bed in and have the next six months as a free hit as we finish in mid-table. That sentiments extends to youth players on the fringe like Edser, Appiah and Anel (sorry!) if we can get them some game time in the second half of the season.

Once we've got a good basis to work from and a number of players have moved on, the key positions we need filling are left back, centre back, centre midfield, right midfield, striker.

But this sentiment hasn't changed on the back of a new manager, it's the exact brief Warburton should have been working to.

Karanka Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    Don't get the clamour for a new goalkeeper. What exactly does Smith have to do to prove he's good enough to retain the jersey? He's made three one on one saves in two games...

Signings we need now are very different to ones we need in Summer. Signings in this window should be players (probably younger ones) who need a longer time to bed in and have the next six months as a free hit as we finish in mid-table. That sentiments extends to youth players on the fringe like Edser, Appiah and Anel (sorry!) if we can get them some game time in the second half of the season.

Once we've got a good basis to work from and a number of players have moved on, the key positions we need filling are left back, centre back, centre midfield, right midfield, striker.

But this sentiment hasn't changed on the back of a new manager, it's the exact brief Warburton should have been working to.
    I agree, but what you've stated above is what I believe Warbuton's and McParland's transfer policy would have been and it's probably one of the reasons they were removed. I suspect we'll see players brought in with more experience who are expected to hit the ground running.

Agree, unless we are really still going for promotion via the Play-Offs as an outside shot.

would like to see edser, appiah, and anel out on loan, dont see them getting any game time this season. smith i agree, he is developing into a great keeper, he needs to be number 1 all season

47 signings in under 3 years??

What have we made in the last 3? Around 20?

Best get your cheque book out Marinakis, and don't leave us carrying the can for any over-spunkage of money either.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Only 3 former Forest players within that list of 47, so maybe he does know how to spot a decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    47 signings in under 3 years??

What have we made in the last 3? Around 20?
    Doggie Freedman embargo bingo flare sent up!

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Doggie Freedman embargo bingo flare sent up!
    I was counting Dougie loans in my head when I did that tally though.

In fact, here's my count:

Matt Mills
    Jamie Ward
    Daniel Pinillos
    Stephen McLaughlin
    Thomas Lam
    Stephen Henderson
    Damien Perquis
    Mustapha Carayol
    Licá
    Nicklas Bendtner
    Armand Traoré
    Jason Cummings
    Barrie McKay
    Andreas Bouchalakis
    Daryl Murphy
    Tendayi Darikwa
    Liam Bridcutt
    Adam Federici

18 players. Have I missed any?

We've sold WAY more than we've bought in, whereas Kranky's record at Boro showed he spent 20m more than he sold.

Just be very interesting to see how much the owners are prepared to back him, and how we'll operate.

Here's a question regarding our defence - are the players we couldn't have good enough or not? Or is the statement............they are good enough but were told to play in a way by Warburton that didn't suit the personnel we have?

Impressive member

Matt Mills
    Jamie Ward
    Daniel Pinillos
    Stephen McLaughlin
    Thomas Lam
    Stephen Henderson
    Damien Perquis
    Mustapha Carayol
    Licá
    Nicklas Bendtner
    Armand Traoré
    Jason Cummings
    Barrie McKay
    Andreas Bouchalakis
    Daryl Murphy
    Tendayi Darikwa
    Liam Bridcutt
    Adam Federici

We've sold WAY more than we've bought in, whereas Kranky's record at Boro showed he spent 20m more than he sold.

Just be very interesting to see how much the owners are prepared to back him, and how we'll operate.
    Most not good enough for Nottingham Forest.

Matt Mills
    Jamie Ward
    Daniel Pinillos
    Stephen McLaughlin
    Thomas Lam
    Stephen Henderson
    Damien Perquis
    Mustapha Carayol
    Licá
    Nicklas Bendtner
    Armand Traoré
    Jason Cummings
    Barrie McKay
    Andreas Bouchalakis
    Daryl Murphy
    Tendayi Darikwa
    Liam Bridcutt
    Adam Federici

McLaughlin was bought by SOD.

Only McKay, Murphy and Bridcutt are good enough imo. The rest of 'em can leave if they haven't already.

Ok so just looked on transfermarkt website:

Clough
    Vellios
    Lica
    Perquis
    Lam
    Henderson
    Traore
    Carayol
    Tshibola
    kasami
    McCormack
    Dumitru
    Hildeberto
    Teixeira
    Stojkovic
    Ariyibi
    Murphy
    Darikwa
    Bridcutt
    Cummings
    McKay
    Bossin
    Bouch
    Dowell
    Williams
    Ward
    Macheda
    Olivera
    Pinillos
    Trotter
    Mills
    Jokic
    Mendes
    Ebecilio
    Gardner
    O'Grady.

I make that 36 since the summer window for the 15/16 season.

Oh and I left off Ben Hamer and Adam Federici

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur's Cape View Post

Clough
    Vellios
    Lica
    Perquis
    Lam
    Henderson
    Traore
    Carayol
    Tshibola
    kasami
    McCormack
    Dumitru
    Hildeberto
    Teixeira
    Stojkovic
    Ariyibi
    Murphy
    Darikwa
    Bridcutt
    Cummings
    McKay
    Bossin
    Bouch
    Dowell
    Williams
    Ward
    Macheda
    Olivera
    Pinillos
    Trotter
    Mills
    Jokic
    Mendes
    Ebecilio
    Gardner
    O'Grady.

Ay, and 90% fucking rammel.

So we've signed 36 players in 3 years plus we've played 7-9 academy lads in the first team in that time as well?

We're not that far off are we in terms of numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by tricky_tree1982 View Post
    Here's a question regarding our defence - are the players we couldn't have good enough or not? Or is the statement............they are good enough but were told to play in a way by Warburton that didn't suit the personnel we have?
    Perhaps consider we've been shipping goals regularly for the last five years at least.

The defence needs a major overhaul. Traore isn't good enough, Mancienne is too short to physically compete and Worrall is still learning and will get there, but for now needs time. Lichaj is steady which is fine for where we are, but shouldn't be expected to carry the defence.

Then add on that our keeper is inexperienced and whoever partners Bridcutt probably isn't quite good enough either.

I make that minimum of three signings to enforce the defense. Maybe five if we're in a rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipstones Pye Eater View Post
    So we've signed 36 players in 3 years plus we've played 7-9 academy lads in the first team in that time as well?

We're not that far off are we in terms of numbers?
    Wivgot more than Chelski

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur's Cape View Post

Clough
    Vellios
    Lica
    Perquis
    Lam
    Henderson
    Traore
    Carayol
    Tshibola
    kasami
    McCormack
    Dumitru
    Hildeberto
    Teixeira
    Stojkovic
    Ariyibi
    Murphy
    Darikwa
    Bridcutt
    Cummings
    McKay
    Bossin
    Bouch
    Dowell
    Williams
    Ward
    Macheda
    Olivera
    Pinillos
    Trotter
    Mills
    Jokic
    Mendes
    Ebecilio
    Gardner
    O'Grady.

Cheers chap, posting on the fly so had to do it from memory.

Now here's where I get lambasted for "negativity" when I'm just pointing out facts.

Out of those, players I'd say are good enough for a squad which can make a top 6 push are:

Murphy
    Dowell
    Bridcutt
    McKay
    Olivera
    Vellios
    Berto?

Basically most of Mark Warburton's signings

Last edited by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery; 09-01-18 at 12:46.

Cheers chap, posting on the fly so had to do it from memory.

Now here's where I get lambasted for "negativity" when I'm just pointing out facts.

Out of those, players I'd say are good enough for a squad which can make a top 6 push are:

Murphy
    Bridcutt
    McKay
    Olivera
    Vellios
    Berto?

Basically most of Mark Warburton's signings

Pretty much agree although I would have Jokic and Jamie Ward on the top 6 list. On the whole it is a very depressing list.

Impressive member

Fawaz's signings skew the fugures.

Best served cold

Karanka faces a very different set of circumstances here. He will have a smaller budget and will be expected to ensure youth is still at the core of what he's doing. Or so I'd assume. If he can make a handful of astute signings this window, we should be able to limp through to the summer where our younger players will have gained more experience, Karanka will have been able to work on what he wants them to do, and then he'll be able to add more depth where needed.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers