Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

View Poll Results: Should Patrick Bamford return?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: outright purchase please

7 26.92%
  • Yes: take him on a loan basis

11 42.31%
  • No: he shunned us once and should never be allowed back here again

8 30.77%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Too School for Cool

Default Re: Patrick Bamford

Yesterday's man. There's better out there, if not in the squad already.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I don't recall seeing him banging them in for the reserves and I did go a fair bit, the u18's he was scoring for fun.
    I recall one game v Sheffield United reserves and he was made to look like a little boy out of his depth. He wasn't first team ready in my opinion, not by a long way.
    Would you, as a manager, really pick a player who wouldn't take the opportunity to train with the first team full time because I bloody wouldn't.
    Talk as much sense as you want, My hatred of Cotternill will not waiver

I walk around like everything is fine but deep down, in my shoe, my sock is sliding off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MariAndy!s View Post
    Talk as much sense as you want, My hatred of Cotternill will not waiver

It's a proper headfuck having to defend him!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I don't recall seeing him banging them in for the reserves and I did go a fair bit, the u18's he was scoring for fun.
    I recall one game v Sheffield United reserves and he was made to look like a little boy out of his depth. He wasn't first team ready in my opinion, not by a long way.
    Would you, as a manager, really pick a player who wouldn't take the opportunity to train with the first team full time because I bloody wouldn't.
    It was panic stations and the fans and media were calling for Bamford to play to end our draught. The problem is having to rely on a schoolboy rather than the schoolboy himself. I will conceed to your knowledge on him as I didn't watch the reserves. Many times this season Dowell has looked like a lost boy against men, however he has won us a few games this season on his own.

Last edited by garibaldi; 03-01-18 at 17:19.

Bamford was what, 17 or 18 when he left? He was a kid, taking advice on a career move.

I remember him tearing it up that year for the academy, think he score 4 vs a very talented Southampton side in the FAY Cup.

He should have had a shot for the team.

His move sorted out his security for the rest of his life. He's not exactly done awful since leaving either. Sure, he's stuttered a bit, but he never was a likely England candidate or anything in my eyes.

I'd have him at Forest without a doubt. He's definitely got an affinity for the club, he's a very talented player, and he can be a match winner with it. If the new manager wants him, go for it.

Left Winger

If Bamford had that much affection for Forest, he would never have played for the Sheep.

Stuart Pearce > Bamford.

(Psycho: "I'd rather go on the dole than play for them").

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

Too School for Cool

His name sounds too much like Jason Manford for my liking

Quote Originally Posted by cloughandtaylor View Post
    Birtles and Bowyer were great re-signings, Clough decent. Never imagined Bamford in that class so a no from me too.
    As was Reidy. Concentrate on Tyler & Ben up front

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Too School for Cool

Sorry to burst the Bamford bubble, but he aint that great. And he's a Judas.

It's a no from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    Sorry to burst the Bamford bubble, but he aint that great. And his middle name is Judith.

It's a no from me.
    Judith?
    Well he'll be popular in the showers!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Judith?
    Well he'll be popular in the showers!

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    I can’t say anything about the contract situation etc because I don’t really know much about it. I was in a bit of a lull with my forest supporting at the time so I wasn’t really paying attention.

Regarding his education etc - I don’t know if he expected to walk into the first team or not, but I think even the most staunch forest supporters can probably see that in the long run he made a good decision for himself by going to Chelsea. You’d imagine, as an intelligent lad with an intelligent family, that they were fully aware of how his time at Chelsea was gonna pan out; they took advantage of the opportunity and he’s done very well out of it.

Would I have him back? Absolutely - but because he’d improve our football team, not because I’d expect any loyalty from him regardless of the inevitable noises he’d make at the press conference.

Mercenary footballers are only good for the club if they’re adding something on the pitch, and you can only have so many. I think Bamford would do that, and I’d have him over the Carayols and the Jamie Wards we have now.
    Did he really do well out of it? Here was highly rated as a hot prospect who had the world at his feet and the only way was up. He went to Chelsea where he was repeatedly farmed out on loan to sit on benches around the country, before finally ending up at Boro where again he isn't setting the world alight. He's 24 now and his career has at best stalled. He hasn't developed or improved in a meaningful way and if anything you'd expect him to further slide down the leagues.

From a financial perspective he no doubt did very well but from a footballing one it's hard to agree with that.

As for bringing him here - why would he improve our team? He's not gone on to do very well anywhere, and right now our club is on about trying to sign proven quality rather than youth or failed potential. Removing his history with the club from it entirely, and from a purely subjective viewpoint he would be a strange signing because he's struggled for most of the time since he left, is no better than what we have, and hasn't demonstrated that he would offer anything to improve us. The only thing he has proven is that he perhaps isn't as good as we thought he was and in the next year or two he's probably going to end up further down the leagues. Hopefully that isn't with us.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

No thank you,let him rot at Boro, his dad will be telling them he is to good to be not playing like he was at Forest.
    Once a Sheep and an arrogant one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    Did he really do well out of it? Here was highly rated as a hot prospect who had the world at his feet and the only way was up. He went to Chelsea where he was repeatedly farmed out on loan to sit on benches around the country, before finally ending up at Boro where again he isn't setting the world alight. He's 24 now and his career has at best stalled. He hasn't developed or improved in a meaningful way and if anything you'd expect him to further slide down the leagues.

From a financial perspective he no doubt did very well but from a footballing one it's hard to agree with that.

As for bringing him here - why would he improve our team? He's not gone on to do very well anywhere, and right now our club is on about trying to sign proven quality rather than youth or failed potential. Removing his history with the club from it entirely, and from a purely subjective viewpoint he would be a strange signing because he's struggled for most of the time since he left, is no better than what we have, and hasn't demonstrated that he would offer anything to improve us. The only thing he has proven is that he perhaps isn't as good as we thought he was and in the next year or two he's probably going to end up further down the leagues. Hopefully that isn't with us.
    Sorry - to be clear, my original point was he did well financially out of the deal and would have got a pretty penny when he signed for 'boro permanently.

If all he aspires to be is a mercenary footballer making as much money as possible for as little output as possible, then he's done his job very well.

Do we want players like that? No.
    Is he a better striker than the others we have? Probably.
    Are there better strikers out there for the money we'd spend? Definitely

But I'd still have him if we didn't have any other ideas.

Too School for Cool

He can massively do one

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    He can massively do one
    Yep, I agree.

I'd have him. Plenty of other positions need strengthening before buying another 'lightweight' forward, though.

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    Sorry - to be clear, my original point was he did well financially out of the deal and would have got a pretty penny when he signed for 'boro permanently.

If all he aspires to be is a mercenary footballer making as much money as possible for as little output as possible, then he's done his job very well.

Do we want players like that? No.
    Is he a better striker than the others we have? Probably.
    Are there better strikers out there for the money we'd spend? Definitely

But I'd still have him if we didn't have any other ideas.
    Fair enough mate

I struggle to see what he'd offer us, or what he's done since he left to justify us bringing him in. The 5 forwards we have are all reasonable, or learning, and I can't see what Bamford brings that isn't covered by the collection of strikers we have. He doesn't offer a stand out element we are lacking, and on form even the things he can do he isn't doing very well. It would feel like a signing for a signings sake. Fully agree that there are better strikers out there that would be a better use of money

Well the rumoured new man AK likes him?

Unfinished business and has had time to grow up since he flounced out for 'the big time'. Definitely worthy of a loan to see if he 'wants it'.

Purveyor of exotic goods

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    If Bamford had that much affection for Forest, he would never have played for the Sheep.

Stuart Pearce > Bamford.

(Psycho: "I'd rather go on the dole than play for them").
    I'm not sure we can presume that. He appears to have a bit of an aloof air about him which may not help. What do you expect? He probably loves Forest, but his context will be totally different - Posh lad, Ex Chairmans son, The Boys High School, a complicated relationship with the club, top that with talent and connections it figures the young lads head was turned by Chelsea; a team famous for using the loan market to the extreme. Being sent on loan to Direby for half a season was just a part of a young footballers development, these lads have to move fast, get game time and turn heads, they can't get sentimental.
    I'm sure he's bright enough to have plenty of affinity/respect/love/whatever for Forest. If he comes here and acts smart I think he'll fit in with a very talented group of players who i believe could play at the highest level given the rub of the green. TBH he'd be a mug not to come if its on the table.
    He'll get my full support and I think he would fit in well.

Nottingham Forest is a fairy tale club, that's why it makes sense.

Purveyor of exotic goods

Decent interview, adds some context perhaps

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featu...-championship/

Is he better than brereton? Nope, what can he offer different from walker, McKay etc??

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Is he better than brereton? Nope, what can he offer different from walker, McKay etc??
    He can offer being an actual right winger

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by JordanForest View Post
    He can offer being an actual right winger

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
    So can Norman Tebbitt, but I wouldn’t want us to sign that bastard either.

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTomato View Post
    Decent interview, adds some context perhaps

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featu...-championship/
    If anything, it confirms what many of us widely suspected - that the move was driven by his Dad.