48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Win

24 50.00%
  • Draw + Sack Gary Brazil

14 29.17%
  • Lose + Sack Gary Brazil

10 20.83%
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Matchday 27: Nottingham Forest vs Aston Villa - Official Matchday Thread

Default Matchday 27: Nottingham Forest vs Aston Villa - Official Matchday Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Bottled reading the rest of this thread to be honest, I went to the game, thought I'd share my take.

Worth reiterating what a decent, well balanced side Villa are, Quality in every position. The ref? fucking hell he gave us nowt, nor did the two idiots running the lines. That's the excuses out the way.

First half thought we were pretty good, positive in our passing, camped in Villas half without creating clear cut chances. I'll bet Smith is coming in for stick for the goal, but that's an undefendable ball in by Snodgrass.

Second half we were poor, thought we ran out of legs to be honest, the gaps between the players increased dramatically & the longer hopeful balls came in with very little success. The general levels of application were out from the Arsenal game.

Individually Cash & a very isolated BB were the highlights for me, Mancienne again looked decent, Dowell again carried the full weight of attacking threat on his shoulders & Mckay looked decent.

Reading little into it to be honest, new manager, looked knackered & decent Villa side.

Owt from this game always a tall order.
    Great summary, the only thing I’d point out is Mancienne was very solid but he is no captain. Bridcutt, Lichaj or Worral would get my vote as they are proper vocal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Matchday 27: Nottingham Forest vs Aston Villa - Official Matchday Thread

Men against boys.villa were more organized and worth the win..

Jonny Metgod is my hero

Default Re: Matchday 27: Nottingham Forest vs Aston Villa - Official Matchday Thread

I didn't get to see all 90 minutes as I was at the darts and the lakeside has shit reception. However, it's great to see the usual scapegoats getting panned. Regardless of who the manager is two things stay constant: Brereton is, at this point, totally overrated on here; Osborn is the midfielder that needs replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by George cooney View Post
    Were they better organized, or just man for man a better side than us?

Quote Originally Posted by tjhooker View Post
    I didn't get to see all 90 minutes as I was at the darts and the lakeside has shit reception. However, it's great to see the usual scapegoats getting panned. Regardless of who the manager is two things stay constant: Brereton is, at this point, totally overrated on here; Osborn is the midfielder that needs replacing.
    In my opinion..the midfield should be cash,briddy Vaughn and Osborne..sadly no clough for me..

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by George cooney View Post
    Spot on.

We'll have our day.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Were they better organized, or just man for man a better side than us?
    isn't that the same thing really? they looked bigger,fitter and more organised imo

Impressive member

I think Mancienne, Worrall and Lichaj are probably the only defenders worth keeping. I'd be tempted to try Darikwa on the right wing, ahead of Lichaj, and see how he fares.

Cashl, Bridcutt and Osborne are good and fairly reliable.
    Dowell will be gone in the summer.
    Carayol and McKay seem to lack confidence. Walker is improving. Brereton is decent but not superman, he needs decent support.

If you look at our squad, very few are what you'd call 'dominant in their position'. I think we need probably 4 new players (the spine?) who will go into the team and be guaranteed starters due to their quality.

The rest of the team can learn and improve by playing with them as regularly as possible.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Not that type of player

Villa’s level of organisation and experienced game management is a world away from where we are at the moment. Comfortable away win, as we might have expected.

Like this though: "We have a lot of potential up front but we have a young squad who need to improve. The quality we have in the side is very good but we need to be more aggressive, more intense and more organised"

At least the new manager can see what needs to improve.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Jonny Metgod is my hero

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Villa’s level of organisation and experienced game management is a world away from where we are at the moment. Comfortable away win, as we might have expected.

Like this though: "We have a lot of potential up front but we have a young squad who need to improve. The quality we have in the side is very good but we need to be more aggressive, more intense and more organised"

Potential doesn't win matches. Get Clayton in now.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    We aren't that bad mate

I reckon a three or four quality signings with experience will knit this side together.
    Villa were good today, Bruce has finally organized them and there is quality in depth in that team. Some of them are Prem players.
    There is no shame in today's result and it was always going to be an anti-climax after last week.
    Balanced, and I agree. A fresh and experienced spine in the team and we won’t be far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post

Doesn't really give much detail on where we need to improve though? Like astrology, keep it high level and cover all bases. All teams need some organisation and intensity.

Nevermind, let's see what a week with the squad achieves rather than a couple of days.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Karanka Mutineer

View from the Bridgford end

7. Smith - no chance on the goal, distribution continues to improve
    7. Lichaj - dependable as ever, quality slo mo moment where he seemed to glide backwards in the box. Pinned back
    6. Mills - he can head it and block it, let's stop asking him to play it
    6. Mancienne - showed grit again, got beat in the air again
    5. Traore - up against their best player, came second. Still our best left back
    6. Vaughan - put in a shift
    - Bridcutt - chasing a point this was a sideways move, and of course he was competently sideways
    7. Osborn - heart on his sleeve
    8. Cash - the latest in a long line of promising youngsters who are not wingers to play play on the wing, lots of endeavour
    - Ward - a winger! From Derby
    6. Dowell - a harsh score only because he can be so much better. Best shot of the match to be fair but down the keepers neck
    7. Clough - kind maybe but played the sweetest killer through ball in the first 5 and made them look silly at times
    - McKay - if only that shot hadn't been a powderpuff
    8. Brereton - worked hard, thoroughly martialled

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    Doesn't really give much detail on where we need to improve though? Like astrology, keep it high level and cover all bases. All teams need some organisation and intensity.

Nevermind, let's see what a week with the squad achieves rather than a couple of days.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    And nor should it be overly detailed at this point. He’s noticed and stated the areas where improvement is obviously needed. I find that reassuring. He’s not come here to mess about.

With any luck, only one defender in that back four will be starting this time next year, and that's Mancienne, at a push. The rest can leave the club and I would not be bothered, and they won't be missed one bit.

Karanka's got work to do, will he be given time by our fans? Hope so, but I fear we're probably only a couple of games away from people mocking his lack of English.

A lot more pressure is on the club this January than it previously was. Will it lead to panic buys or shrewd signings though...

Too much negativity - especially idiots booing today (probably the ones who gave their seats up for the Arsenal game and expected the same performance)

I'm still not happy that Warburton was sacked - not been satisfied by any statement by the board but that's by the by - welcome Aitor Karanka.

We were bad but Villa game management was pretty good. I think once we get the right personnel in and Karanka is fully up to speed we'll be strangling the life out of games, winning 1-0 and causing their fans to be frustrated and moan that their team is shit.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Went to the game today and ultimately, it was the third film in this particularly shit home game trilogy.
    It dawned on me that it's not going to matter who is in charge of this particular crop of players in the short term because the failings will always be the same.

Defensively, I didn't see a whole lot wrong if I'm honest. I think our offensive has gotten a free pass because our defence has been so shoddy in the past but it is a problem that we're not creating really any clear cut chances for our strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Always look on the bright View Post
    5. Traore - up against their best player, came second. Still our best left back

7. Clough - kind maybe but played the sweetest killer through ball in the first 5 and made them look silly at times
    Cloughs giving Traore precious little support defensively.

Thought we looked pretty good first half today. From where I was sitting Osborn, Vaughn were very comfortable for the first 45 mins. Cash was a real threat. Bar a couple of bits of skill Clough was completely out of his depth felt like we were a man down (amazing how a back heel can change some peoples views). Second half probably not worth speaking about although nice of Ward to waste a couple of well worked positions..

All in all Cash looks like a star, Osborne had a touch of a young Vaughn about him. Not much else to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by nffc13 View Post
    With any luck, only one defender in that back four will be starting this time next year, and that's Mancienne, at a push. The rest can leave the club and I would not be bothered, and they won't be missed one bit.

Karanka's got work to do, will he be given time by our fans? Hope so, but I fear we're probably only a couple of games away from people mocking his lack of English.

A lot more pressure is on the club this January than it previously was. Will it lead to panic buys or shrewd signings though...
    Worral is the future, mance for me can only work in A back five with another big lump who can pass

Quote Originally Posted by Always look on the bright View Post
    Worral is the future, mance for me can only work in A back five with another big lump who can pass
    Worrall didn't play today, so not included in the players in that back four I'd want out.

Lichaj who's 29, Mills who's 31 and Traore who's 28 shouldn't be lasting much longer here. All brilliant ages to be playing at their peak, and not only that, but marshalling this young team through games. They're failing, as they do in the vast majority of games they play, giving away tame goals.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by tjhooker View Post
    Potential doesn't win matches. Get Clayton in now.
    I would guess that we’ll see a few new faces this month.

Dowell added nothing to the team beyond a long shot any competent keeper should be saving. He's got a sweet left foot but he's a passenger. For some reason he gets a free pass. Clough looked much better than he has but played out if position. He didn't provide Traore with any cover. But he's our player and I'd rather see him play in the 10 role now than Dowell.

Regards giving him time. It's not the supporters he should be worried about is it? When our farce of a club state stability is of Prime concern, then sack the manager because of a possible on the field disagreement, any manger must be prepared to read the small print when arriving through the gates. I'm surprised the hinges are still working tbh.

It's all about mid-table...

Worrall didn't play today, so not included in the players in that back four I'd want out.

Lichaj who's 29, Mills who's 31 and Traore who's 28 shouldn't be lasting much longer here. All brilliant ages to be playing at their peak, and not only that, but marshalling this young team through games. They're failing, as they do in the vast majority of games they play, giving away tame goals.
    A lot of experience there, and fans are saying that's what we need?