Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

      
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2

    Default FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    I am currently researching for a book about Tooting and Mitcham United's epic 1958/59 season.
    In the FA Cup 3rd. Round Proper on 10 January 1959 Forest were 2-0 down at halftime at Tooting's Sandy Lane ground. An own-goal and a hotly debated ( and still discussed !) penalty gave Forest a 2-2 draw. In the replay at the City Ground on 24 January , before a crowd of 42,000, Forest won 3-0 and , of course, went on to win the Cup at Wembley a few months later. Intestingly, Roy Dwight, who scored and then broke his leg at Wembley, managed Tooting in the 1970s and took Tooting to the 4th. Round Proper, as the last non-league side in the competiton, in 1975/76.
    Is there anybody on this Forum who was at either, or both, matches ? Or someone who knows someone who was ? If so, I would love to hear your memories of the games. You could either post on here or send your memories to me at brooksjeff18@aol.com .
    Many thanks, Jeff Brooks


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    12,903

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Al ask me dad.


  4. #3

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Someone raised a similar thread before. http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthr...hlight=Tooting


  5. #4
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    12,903

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Av I bin hoodwinked??


  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    12,110

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    Av I bin hoodwinked??
    Book being published by Pineapple - send money in advance to guarantee your copy!


  7. #6
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    12,903

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Its onnits way ! To a Nigerian Prince !


  8. #7
    ...the Liatrom Red
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A Block 'til I die
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
    I am currently researching for a book about Tooting and Mitcham United's epic 1958/59 season.
    In the FA Cup 3rd. Round Proper on 10 January 1959 Forest were 2-0 down at halftime at Tooting's Sandy Lane ground. An own-goal and a hotly debated ( and still discussed !) penalty gave Forest a 2-2 draw. In the replay at the City Ground on 24 January , before a crowd of 42,000, Forest won 3-0 and , of course, went on to win the Cup at Wembley a few months later. Intestingly, Roy Dwight, who scored and then broke his leg at Wembley, managed Tooting in the 1970s and took Tooting to the 4th. Round Proper, as the last non-league side in the competiton, in 1975/76.
    Is there anybody on this Forum who was at either, or both, matches ? Or someone who knows someone who was ? If so, I would love to hear your memories of the games. You could either post on here or send your memories to me at brooksjeff18@aol.com .
    Many thanks, Jeff Brooks
    You could contact Roy's Cousin Reg and ask him if he's got many stories.

    He might even sing them to you.


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,837

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    I remember the day well, but sadly wasn't at the game. In the Winter term we played football and in the Spring term we played hockey. I was lucky enough to play for the school first XI at both, so was playing hockey on that day. I heard the report on "Sports Report" thought that was a bit of luck; I was sure we would win at the CG.

    Not much help in the op's project, but brings back memories to me. I was a boarder and had a small study just off the main senior day room with a very large old valve radio which took ages to warm up. I rushed in after the hockey and switched on just in time to hear the Sports report tune playing. We used to wait for the reading of the results with bated breath as that was the first we knew of the scores.

    All I have now is an old battered scrap book with one report of the game cut from the Daily Express on the Monday.


  10. #9
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    59,806

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by Roonaldo View Post
    You could contact Roy's Cousin Reg and ask him if he's got many stories.

    He might even sing them to you.
    Got to be careful with him though, he was a proper hoolie in his day?

    Remember “Saturday night’s all right for fighting”?

    "It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

  11. #10
    Red til I'm dead
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,575

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by Roonaldo View Post
    You could contact Roy's Cousin Reg and ask him if he's got many stories.

    He might even sing them to you.
    I spoke to Elton about this game once, he said there was a right gale blowing, and he remembers a contentious penalty shout not being given.

    “It seemed to me, if I remember right, to be handball in the wind.....” he said.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  12. #11
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    13,533

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest




  13. #12

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Barry was there, he strutted in like a peacock on 25 mins but left early to avoid the traffic


  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    161

    Default FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Whatever happened to the Tooting Popular Front ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  15. #14

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by GOD View Post
    Whatever happened to the Tooting Popular Front ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    merged with the Mitcham Not So Popular Front, begs the question, what happened to the Sneinton Popular Front?


  16. #15
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    59,806

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by GOD View Post
    Whatever happened to the Tooting Popular Front ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Turned out to be a Sheep fan.


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Turned out to be a Sheep fan.
    He is isn't he

    A plague in his house then.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  18. #17
    ...the Liatrom Red
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A Block 'til I die
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: FA CUP January 1959. Tooting and Mitcham United v Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO View Post
    merged with the Mitcham Not So Popular Front, begs the question, what happened to the Sneinton Popular Front?
    Merged with the St Anns Popular Front

    http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/stannssneintonfc


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •