Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jan Transfer Surprises

Yeah if there is a McKay or Bridcutt that we need a certain position we would be mad not to go for it.

Ronnow and McGinn are going to cost a bit though. So I suppose how much will they be willing to stick their neck out.

I want a CB and LB but I just have this feeling it will be best to get that in the summer.

Last edited by BryanRoy; 09-11-17 at 09:09.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Why change how we're operating when it's moved us so far forward in such a short space of time though?

I'd keep doing exactly what we are doing. Right players at the right price.

We don't have to be a part of that rotation culture, and we shouldn't make decisions out of the fear of it either.
    I agree, Im not advocating anything reckless, just a question mark as to whether you can conceivably get to where we want to go such a bias on our attacking game.

Id feel more comfortable, when the bigger boys revisit, if we were a bit more solid at the back. Then consider injuries to key players & weaker legs as the season progresses.

Think we can recruit & keep things in line with MW & his team.

Default Jan Transfer Surprises

I think itís really important that we get a left back, especially if weíre talking about promotion. And maybe a center back as I donít trust mills whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally happy with where we are with the squad after the summer dealings and 16 games. Obviously we couldn’t do it all in 1 transfer window so with a number of defensive players contracts expiring at the end of the season it’s time to get busy if the right player becomes available. 2 centre backs and a left back please and if we can off load Mills & Hobbs before their contracts end then perfect. Like the idea of getting them in in January as this gives MW and DW time with the new boys before a full preseason and your hitting the ground running next year then. That’s if we don’t get it done this year which I’m not definitely not discounting.

Don’t want us to lose Benny or anyone from midfield and reckon Vellios still has a role to play if anything happens to Murphy.

Go and get Ronnow as Smith needs the competition for that no.1 jersey.

Suppose the question the management team will be asking will be: Will signing these players pretty much guarantee us a top six spot this year?

If the answer is no, there's no point, because we might be there or there abouts anyway. Better then to re-assess in Summer when we've moved on players and freed up a lot of budget to go again.

We'll also be a more gelled squad going into the opener next year than we were this, so for me I'd rather focus on new recruits in Summer when there are better options both financially and quality wise.

Proud father of the :whoosh:

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    Suppose the question the management team will be asking will be: Will signing these players pretty much guarantee us a top six spot this year?
    Agree thats why I said ‘if the right players are available.’ Only the management team will know that but with 25 goals in the for column and 26 in the against it’s pretty clear where we need the injection to be able to contest for a top six place.

I'm not famous anymore!!
    Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

I can see MW putting in some effort to bring in a goalkeeper, I think that is a must. Also I can see maybe a young left-back as as competition for Traore as well as providing something long term for that position. Also I think at least 1 centre-back. Goalkeeping and defence is is need of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Come the end of December, I suggest we'll be right up there in the mix with a decision to make.

Stick or twist, with player & management rotation rife in football, long term projects are something of a minefield. Id like to think we;d be giving ourselves a fighting chance in the January window to see the job through.

Without being reckless naturally.
    I would probably think they are going to try and sign the players whatever position we are in.

Anybody we "twist" on will be a young player with value to be added anyway, more than likely.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRedDog View Post
    I can see MW putting in some effort to bring in a goalkeeper, I think that is a must. Also I can see maybe a young left-back as as competition for Traore as well as providing something long term for that position. Also I think at least 1 centre-back. Goalkeeping and defence is is need of improvement.
    Pretty much all positions he tried to address late in the window, I would think they have a huge list of targets to go for but as we know January is a tough window.

I'm not famous anymore!!
    Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    Pretty much all positions he tried to address late in the window, I would think they have a huge list of targets to go for but as we know January is a tough window.
    Yeah fully agree with that, I think our midfield is sorted out long term now with reasonable quality failing to even make the bench. Also playing 1 up top means we don't need a load of forwards.

Of course if somebody is available that will improve the squad and the price is right then it would make sense to bring them no matter what position.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post

If the answer is no, there's no point, because we might be there or there abouts anyway. Better then to re-assess in Summer when we've moved on players and freed up a lot of budget to go again.

We'll also be a more gelled squad going into the opener next year than we were this, so for me I'd rather focus on new recruits in Summer when there are better options both financially and quality wise.
    Yeah, for me it's just a case of "are they the right player? Is that the right price for them?" No need to be Mark Arthur, self-harming tight though either. If a quality leader is availble say at DM or CB for 1.5m and their market value is 1m I'd take the extra 500k hit because of their suitability.

But it's all a balance, and I don't think we've ever had such an in-synch setup in ages between manager & DOF/CEO etc.

Don't want to see us wank away 5m on 1 player, but then again won't grumble if we pay a bit extra for a player who is exactly what we need to take us to the next level.

ďAll the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.Ē

Left Winger

If we don't buy anyone in January, I won't even be upset, because for the first time, since, well fucking ages, we seem to have a footballing department that knows what it is doing when it comes to recruitment.

If we buy, then I'm confident that Mr. Warburton and Frank McParland have done the work and know the player is good value. If we don't buy, then there was nobody available at a sensible price (as often happens in January).

I would much rather us wait until the summer, when we can free up some wages too, than "panic buy" for no valid reason.

Let's face it, we have shown enough so far this season to be fairly confident we aren't going to be anywhere near the bottom three again, so why not let's see what we can develop?

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    If we don't buy anyone in January, I won't even be upset, because for the first time, since, well fucking ages, we seem to have a footballing department that knows what it is doing when it comes to recruitment.

If we buy, then I'm confident that Mr. Warburton and Frank McParland have done the work and know the player is good value. If we don't buy, then there was nobody available at a sensible price (as often happens in January).

I would much rather us wait until the summer, when we can free up some wages too, than "panic buy" for no valid reason.

Let's face it, we have shown enough so far this season to be fairly confident we aren't going to be anywhere near the bottom three again, so why not let's see what we can develop?
    To me, a left back isnít a panic buy because I donít trust Tendi at right back, maybe RWB but weíve stuck with the 4 at the back recently. And yeah Lichaj May be a decent short term back up at LB but not a half a season because we know traore and his injury record. Like that position should be the MAIN goal of January, anything else is a plus or just unnecessary because, like you said, the price would probably be ridiculous.

On the one hand, you've got to imagine Marinakis came here to get us into the Premierleague but unless you end up doing a Huddersfield, you have to spend quite a bit to not only get on the level with other teams but also, to put yourself ahead of them.
    Get the impression we can't do that, not because Marinakis doesn't have the funds but because we're still carrying a lot of weight from Fawaz and if we did go for it, we'd breach FFP and be back to square one.

January is panic buy season and our January window last season was horrific. Besides Clough, our four other signings played a grand total of 11 games between them. Villa bought half a football team and it did them no good.

Don't see a CB coming unless we shift Mills or Hobbs. I'd like a new goalkeeper and maybe a cover for left back though.

Can't see us spending much, if anything, in January. A keeper is a must though if they have even a remote hope of doing anything this year.

All the efforts must be to retain the squad we have and loan or sell any of the deadwood to trim the wage bill even further. Can't see that either.

The summer is going to be wonderful; getting rid of the likes of Hobbs, Mills, Fox (although he's been decent at CB) off the wage bill can only be a blessing.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyBala View Post
    On the one hand, you've got to imagine Marinakis came here to get us into the Premierleague but unless you end up doing a Huddersfield, you have to spend quite a bit to not only get on the level with other teams but also, to put yourself ahead of them.
    Get the impression we can't do that, not because Marinakis doesn't have the funds but because we're still carrying a lot of weight from Fawaz and if we did go for it, we'd breach FFP and be back to square one.

January is panic buy season and our January window last season was horrific. Besides Clough, our four other signings played a grand total of 11 games between them. Villa bought half a football team and it did them no good.

Don't see a CB coming unless we shift Mills or Hobbs. I'd like a new goalkeeper and maybe a cover for left back though.
    Though I fully agree with all of that, I foresee a Twitter/FB/Vital-meltdown if half-a-dozen-or-so haven't arrived through the NDA gates by the 1st of February.

If Fawaz was still here we'd pay Usain Bolt a £10m sign on fee to join us. He would have been rubbish on a break for us before this season though If we got possession in our penalty area and broke for the Trentend,he'd be at Meadow Lane before we got the ball across the halfway line we were so slow getting out. Thank goodness we've speeded up this year.

There’s a decent left back just become available... can’t play until next season mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyBala View Post
    Besides Clough, our four other signings played a grand total of 11 games between them. Villa bought half a football team and it did them no good.
    Last January reminds me of the one where we got Gomis, Djebbour & Fox. They always seem good on the day because YAY DEADLINE DAY SIGNINGS WOOO but they both were disasters.

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    Last January reminds me of the one where we got Gomis, Djebbour & Fox. They always seem good on the day because YAY DEADLINE DAY SIGNINGS WOOO but they both were disasters.
    Someone canít count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

I still for the life of me can't remember anything at all about Gomis, other than we apparently signed him and he played like one game for us.

We are still about 4-5 players away from being a squad capable of finishing in the top 6 in my opinion; a left back, centre back, keeper and another winger. A long term replacement for Vaughan/Cohen would also be nice but perhaps an academy player can step up to fill this void.

It's extremely unlikely we will fill these gaps in January though, far more likely that we will strengthen in these positions in the summer when more players are available, there is better value for money and we have shifted more deadwood.

Completely fine and understandable if we don't strengthen in January, the prices for players are vastly inflated and given our financial problems under Fawaz I'd rather we didn't go down the path of paying over the odds for players again. We will probably finish mid-table either way this season, so its hardly like we are desperate for signings to avoid relegation or that signing these players would guarantee us a top 6 spot.

Default Jan Transfer Surprises

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I still for the life of me can't remember anything at all about Gomis, other than we apparently signed him and he played like one game for us.

We are still about 4-5 players away from being a squad capable of finishing in the top 6 in my opinion; a left back, centre back, keeper and another winger. A long term replacement for Vaughan/Cohen would also be nice but perhaps an academy player can step up to fill this void.

It's extremely unlikely we will fill these gaps in January though, far more likely that we will strengthen in these positions in the summer when more players are available, there is better value for money and we have shifted more deadwood.

Completely fine and understandable if we don't strengthen in January, the prices for players are vastly inflated and given our financial problems under Fawaz I'd rather we didn't go down the path of paying over the odds for players again. We will probably finish mid-table either way this season, so its hardly like we are desperate for signings to avoid relegation or that signing these players would guarantee us a top 6 spot.
    Gomis played one game, against Barnsley. Abdoun almost scored two screamers and controlled the game basically, one off the bar and another nicely saved. Jamie mackie missed a sitter and billy Davies I think had to watch from the stands.

I think he played like a 6/10.

Last edited by Thomas; 11-11-17 at 20:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Gomis played one game, against Barnsley. Abdoun almost scored two screamers and controlled the game basically, one off the bar and another nicely saved. Jamie mackie missed a sitter and billy Davies I think had to watch from the stands.

I think he played like a 6/10.
    One of the more bizarre signings we made... well until we signed that Teixiera bloke this January who never even managed one game.

One of the more bizarre signings we made... well until we signed that Teixiera bloke this January who never even managed one game.
    I still think he was a decent enough backup but just came at a bad time.

Totally agree on where we should reinforce, where I disagree is the way we're happy to give the season away from such a decent position.

I say we compete for honours if we make the additions in Jan. The big fish aint firing & MW has proven we're in safe hands with the budget.

We could well do a Reading this season if we're prepared to get brave with this. We look like a side that could gain some momentum with some positive moves.