Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Match day experience City Ground versus Old Trafford

Not that type of player

Default Re: Match day experience City Ground versus Old Trafford

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Many years ago, there was a lad who used to drink in my old local in Newark, who thought that Everton was a suburb of London.
    It's a mint isn't it?

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Woodcock's LoveChild View Post
    I seem to remember a fantastic post on here some time ago which explained brilliantly why they hated Manchester United.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of the poster but I remember reading it and thinking 'wow. You have just summed up perfectly why I hate Man U
    Finally found it in Forum Highlight of week. Wish I knew how to post it as link. Thank you Francis for summing up perfectly why I hate Man U

I've had some more time to ponder this. It started when they signed Neil Webb. He was my first ever favourite footballer. I wanted to be Webb. He played for Forest in the position I played in for my local team. He scored lots of goals. He scored my favourite ever goal against Luton at Wembley. He was a God for a short time. I put him up there above Ivan Lendl and Optimus Prime. And he then he just cleared off to Man U. At that time I didn't understand how the world worked. We were winning at Wembley, FA Cup semi-finalists, third in the league and he moved to mid table Man U of all teams? How come? Why Webb? Brian Clough even said he wasn't for sale and Ferguson took him anyway. It was the moment I had to come to terms with the fact that my Forest heroes didn't actually love Forest as much as I did. It was also the moment I first learnt that there were evil big clubs that were hellbent on buying their way to the top.

Webb helped the evil Alex Ferguson on his way with his first trophy with that sublime forty yard pass for the winner in 1990 FA Cup Final. Like all mega villains, Ferguson just disposed of him again when he no longer had a use for him. Webb was injured playing for England and Ferguson just sent him back to us as he was damaged goods. He had served his purpose. Man United only finished 13th that year and there were crowds at Old Trafford below 30,000. They were crap. They were 4-0 down after 20 minutes at the City Ground that season. I joined in with the booing of the treacherous Webb even though it gave me no real satisfaction. But eventually if you can outspend everybody else in football you can buy some silverware. They won the Cup the following week and Ferguson's evil empire had its beginnings.*

United just outspent everybody and picked off everybody else's best players to get themselves to top. When they bought Webb, Ince, Pallister, Bruce, Donaghy, Phelan, Hughes and Wallace it was a crap load of money they spent for that era. They were the moneybags trying buy success. It didn't initially work. Ferguson outspent everybody and had United in midtable. But they got there in the end. And they reached the top just as the PL money started coming and creating the gulf . They pocketed the most money and started each season in an even stronger position than the last. Easy. It was the opposite of the US system where to ensure competitiveness the worse teams get first pick of the next set of great players. Then they got knocked out the European Cup early by Galatasaray back when Turkish teams weren't taken so seriously (before he was tainted Webb had scored when England beat Turkey 8-0 a few seasons earlier). So United, with the help of a few other stinking rich clubs campaigned for the group stages in the European Cup to guarantee them more TV revenue, and also to be allowed into the competition even if they didn't finish first, then later second or third, in their domestic league. Oh and if they got knocked out of the group stages they wanted to go out via more games in the old UEFA Cup too. It was virtually impossible for them not to pull further and further away from the field.

It could have been worse I suppose. Two European Cup wins in an era when United were the biggest club side in the world, hasn't really been a great return. Especially as they were kind of flukey in both finals. But all the PL titles were won in an era when it has never been easier to dominate. Man United fans have the hypocrisy to complain about City's 'financial doping'. It was just money that took United to top. They may have been a big enough club to be able outspend others in the eighties. But once they got there the FA, PL, UEFA stood back and let them play a big part in moulding competition rules and pay structures to suit themselves, kill much of the competitiveness in football and make it virtually impossible for anybody to the catch them. Arsenal and Liverpool have benefitted enough to just about cling on to their coattails. But the only way to leapfrog United was to do it the way Blackburn did, and Chelsea and Man City have done more recently. You can't build slowly. Southampton have gone from Division 3 to 8th, but their best players and manager is being picked off as a result. You have to do it instantly with the kind of money that blows everybody else out of the water. It has been the only way to catch Man Utd for years. United ensured that. But their fans still moan their arses off when somebody does it.

I never really understood why anybody with no links to Manchester enjoy their success. I started following football in the late eighties, so that was the beginning for me. If football was a comic book series starting in 1986, Man United would be the evil brotherhood. Neil Webb would be fallen hero, once a God, who was turned evil who started something very bad indeed.

Left Winger

Francis' post was an extremely eloquent rebuttal of why Man U have been nothing but bad for football.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Funniest thing for me was when Man U legend Denis Law, relegated them whilst playing for Citeh. A cheeky back heel relegated Utd to the second division back in the spring of 1974.
    He intended to miss too, if I recall.

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    He intended to miss too, if I recall.
    Yes, I think he did.

Francis' post was an extremely eloquent rebuttal of why Man U have been nothing but bad for football.
    Ditto Chelski

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    A few of the away 'ends' in Italy have screens and/or netting around them don't they? Pretty sure when I went to the San Siro (Inter v Roma) the Roma fans looked like they were in the Crystal Dome or something. Home fans were free to throw whatever they could at Roma players taking corners though. The noise was fucking deafening and when Inter scored, the stand shook (and all the concourses/steps were full 2/3 lines of people too). Absolutely nuts in the best way.
    Both the third tier seating areas behind the goal at the san siro are pretty much sealed off with big plastic boards. But then they're both used for away fans depending on who's playing.

On my way there now as it happens. First time in primo anello ,beneath the curva sud. Should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
    Both the third tier seating areas behind the goal at the san siro are pretty much sealed off with big plastic boards. But then they're both used for away fans depending on who's playing.

On my way there now as it happens. First time in primo anello ,beneath the curva sud. Should be fun.
    Enjoy!!

Will do. Got a beer, atmos is nice, sun is shining. What's not to like.

Left Winger

It's how football should be watched!

It's how football should be watched!
    What, surrounded by Italians?

Doesn't like Joe Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    At least youd be confident youd have the smallest nose in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    I did get hugged when Milan scored their first so for the second half I went pitch side.

Coincidentally just next to the bar.