Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match day experience City Ground versus Old Trafford

Doesn't like Joe Worrall

Default Re: Match day experience City Ground versus Old Trafford

My best mates a ST at Anfield..... says its just full of Chinese folk who have no concept of whats going off and just stand up at random points to take photos of a player taking a throw in or something daft like that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wandering around the CG

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I've asked this before but,

If watching football was so good in the 80's how come no one wanted to watch it and crowds were at an all time low?
    It had its problems as you know. It was Euro 96 that made the nation fall in love with football again and the fact it tried to reinvent itself with the creation of the Premiership just before.
    All seater stadiums were just a small part of that progress.

Personally, from a spectator point of view I don't like how regimented it is now.
    I miss walking up to the ground and deciding which stand to go in based on the weather or the opposition, pay on the gate. I'd like the choice to sit or stand. I don't like allocated seating because it kills the atmosphere. I'm sure you'll agree nothing will ever come close to the old Trent End on its day? That was because people were allowed to congregate together that wanted to make a noise, there wasn't stewards telling them they had to stand in a certain place over near the corner flag, or telling them they can't wave flags after kick off.
    Away fans could bring anything from 100 to about 7,000, it was spontaneous, unlike now we're we can predict the numbers of every away following almost to a man.
    It's just boring and predictable, and admission is way too expensive.

On the pitch? Where do you start
    For starters it used to be a more level playing field. There wasn't a closed shop like now in the Premiership.
    The Cup competitions meant something, there were less midweek games, Sky didnt move fixtures, 3pm on Saturday was still a thing, players seemed to be more loyal to clubs and played for the shirt, young talented players usually reached their potential and didn't end up at playing in Chelsea C. We could go on and on...

City Ground is OK but it's places that are small and compact which generate the biggest buzz for me. I really enjoyed going to Brentford a few weeks ago. Reading's old ground Elm Park was shit too but the enclosed atmosphere made it good.

Proud father of the :whoosh:

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    It had its problems as you know. It was Euro 96 that made the nation fall in love with football again and the fact it tried to reinvent itself with the creation of the Premiership just before.

Personally, from a spectator point of view I don't like how regimented it is now.
    I miss walking up to the ground and deciding which stand to go in based on the weather or the opposition, pay on the gate. I'd like the choice to sit or stand. I don't like allocated seating because it kills the atmosphere. I'm sure you'll agree nothing will ever come close to the old Trent End on its day? That was because people were allowed to congregate together that wanted to make a noise, there wasn't stewards telling them they had to stand in a certain place over near the corner flag, or telling them they can't wave flags after kick off.
    Away fans could bring anything from 100 to about 7,000, it was spontaneous, unlike now we're we can predict the numbers of every away following almost to a man.

For starters it used to be a more level playing field. There wasn't a closed shop like now in the Premiership.
    The Cup competitions meant something, there were less midweek games, Sky didnt move fixtures, 3pm on Saturday was still a thing, players seemed to be more loyal to clubs and played for the shirt, young talented players usually reached their potential and didn't end up at playing in Chelsea C. We could go on and on...
    Well you've certainly glossed over all the negatives there. Personally, I think it has more to do with being young than football actually being better back then. A bit like older people say the music when they were young was the best and modern music is rubbish type of thing.

Like it or not, without the advent of the Premier League football would have continued to die in this country, and England would now probably be an insignificant backwater of European football.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Looks like the self styled "Theatre of Dreams" is literally that.......a theatre

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Quote Originally Posted by siforest65 View Post
    "Theatre of Dreams"
    Almost without question the most nauseating piece of marketing ever to sully the game.

"This statement is false."

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    Almost without question the most nauseating piece of marketing ever to sully the game.

I don't know. December 1977 and March 1989 it lived up to that name .

Wandering around the CG

Well you've certainly glossed over all the negatives there. Personally, I think it has more to do with being young than football actually being better back then. A bit like older people say the music when they were young was the best and modern music is rubbish type of thing.

Like it or not, without the advent of the Premier League football would have continued to die in this country, and England would now probably be an insignificant backwater of European football.
    We are a backwater as far as international football goes and if the investment ever goes elsewhere we'll also be one in European football.

I watched a documentary about 80's Football that focused on the decline in crowds and the problems with hooliganism. It pointed out that in the late 70's early 80's Football crowds were predominantly male but the average man was beginning to find new hobbies. Which included stuff like DIY, owning their first motor car, hi-fi and the rest of it. Which isn't crap, a lot of these things did become popular at the time. It said men were beginning to spend their time and money away from football grounds, in comparison to the past.
    In the absence of disapproving older males the younger males got into more and more trouble, which in turn put families off attending. It was quite interesting.

Football is better now in terms of how many families it attracts, and ladies, but the atmosphere is dead compared to the past.

As for the football itself I think some of it is better, but there's a lot of overpaid rubbish out there. That aside I do truly fear for the game if the investment goes. We'll just be like the Scottish leagues.

Oh, New music is crap, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    My 70 year old Gooner mate says the Emirates is like a morgue.
    A few years back I was speaking to an Arsenal season ticket holder who happened to attend a random Forest match at The City Ground.

He was taken back by the passion in the crowd and the noise generated before kick off. Day trippers make up a large proportion of fans at these big clubs and the atmosphere is either artificially manufactured or non-existent .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think some of the magic of Old Trafford died with the clubs endless success.

I remember going against Liverpool, Villa and Everton in the 1980's and the place was electric. Singing in pubs, the walk down Warwick road with all the street vendors and the atmosphere near the away fans in the ground was great, all surrounding sections singing, plus the Stretford End.
    You look at the place now and there's loads of tourists in the crowd, but I suppose it's the same at Arsenal, Man City and the others.
    Gary Neville tweeted something a while ago that summed it up for me. 1 is a picture of him taking a throw at Anfield with a load of angered fans behind him making all sorts of signs, clearly saying all sorts of things in his direction. The other, Mourinho taking his seat at Anfield surrounded by a load of fans who just sit there taking photos.

I'm not for the violence or anything like that but by god if that's what football is becoming I want no part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thehockleyhustler View Post
    A few years back I was speaking to an Arsenal season ticket holder who happened to attend a random Forest match at The City Ground.

He was taken back by the passion in the crowd and the noise generated before kick off. Day trippers make up a large proportion of fans at these big clubs and the atmosphere is either artificially manufactured or non-existent .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    My girlfriends a ST holder and I go to the games sometimes.

Its ALL like the BC.

don't matter whether its old Trafford,city ground,or any other ground in the country....sitting down and yellow jacketed wannabes staring at you like your muck has buggered up the match day experience big time.

Not that type of player

We are a backwater as far as international football goes and if the investment ever goes elsewhere we'll also be one in European football.

I watched a documentary about 80's Football that focused on the decline in crowds and the problems with hooliganism. It pointed out that in the late 70's early 80's Football crowds were predominantly male but the average man was beginning to find new hobbies. Which included stuff like DIY, owning their first motor car, hi-fi and the rest of it. Which isn't crap, a lot of these things did become popular at the time. It said men were beginning to spend their time and money away from football grounds, in comparison to the past.
    In the absence of disapproving older males the younger males got into more and more trouble, which in turn put families off attending. It was quite interesting.

Football is better now in terms of how many families it attracts, and ladies, but the atmosphere is dead compared to the past.

As for the football itself I think some of it is better, but there's a lot of overpaid rubbish out there. That aside I do truly fear for the game if the investment goes. We'll just be like the Scottish leagues.

Oh, New music is crap, isn't it?
    By "atmosphere" I assume you mean being locked in an overcrowded cattle pen whilst coins and bottles of piss are thrown at you. The supporters back then were usually heavily committed young males who craved the excitement it's true, but I see it as generally a good thing that the appeal is much wider and women, families and older folk can now go to games in relative safety. My dad is in his seventies and wouldn't be able to go if he had to stand for a couple of hours.

As for internationally, not much has changed really. We've always been also rans in my lifetime.

In this day and age if players like Frank Worthington and Russell Osman were playing the Trent End would be forcibly emptied and closed by half time with the nature of the banter thrown in their direction by the crowd. Worthington in particular loved it. Cutting humour sadly no longer allowed.

Wandering around the CG

By "atmosphere" I assume you mean being locked in an overcrowded cattle pen whilst coins and bottles of piss are thrown at you. The supporters back then were usually heavily committed young males who craved the excitement it's true, but I see it as generally a good thing that the appeal is much wider and women, families and older folk can now go to games in relative safety. My dad is in his seventies and wouldn't be able to go if he had to stand for a couple of hours.

As for internationally, not much has changed really. We've always been also rans in my lifetime.
    I agree it was rough as hell at some places and everyone under a certain age seemed addicted, but I do genuinely mean atmosphere as in that electric feeling. It's rare you get that now, Blackpool in the playoffs and the odd Derby game were about the closest. Arsenal in the cup last year had a vibe, it briefly felt like old times.
    Without the danger of course and I do truly believe we can have both with safe standing. Get some atmosphere back but keep grounds welcoming places to all.

The match experience is sanitised today versus the way it was in the 70's, and 80's. Still remember watching the old East stand with just a wire mesh fence and a few coppers in helmets trying to stop fans getting at each other, and mostly failing, And it is for the better.
    But it doesn't mean there can't be a good atmosphere, and here the WFCG is not bad. Good mix of old timers, twenty year olds, and young families, who are genuine supporters not just tourists, still can create an energy and excitement for the right game.
    And even if we don't get that many, at least we go mental when we score, not like the Mancs.

I always liked MOK as a start of game song. I think you'll never walk alone is the most boring tune I've ever heard. It ends pathetically as well.

You can properly belt MOK out. My young nephew goes for it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRILLIANT I couldn't have said it better myself. You are 100% spot on

Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    I always liked MOK as a start of game song. I think you'll never walk alone is the most boring tune I've ever heard. It ends pathetically as well.

MOK is a shit song written by the world's 2nd most famous Scouse.

There's no benefit to comparison or criticism because it's our song. We love it for its place in our tradition. I wouldn't replace it with anything else.

I do miss 'we've got the whole world in our hands' another shit song tho we hardly hear it's magic anymore.

Last edited by Red Unity; 14-09-17 at 09:49.
    We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

Do Wolves still do that "Hi Ho Wolverhampton" song before matches? I think it's a good thing, something unique to your club. As much as it pain me to say, hearing YNWA at Anfield is pretty amazing.

I started at Forest at the turn of the 90s and so got a few seasons in the old Trent End, the atmosphere in there was a different level to what we see now. Strange to think TWFCG was used in Euro 96 as one of the 8 stadiums, would be well down the pecking order now. As much as I miss the terrace and banter, I'm happy to take a seat nowadays and bring my little girl along. I wouldn't have done that in the past with the language and potential trouble outside post match.

My old man's had a season ticket at Chelsea since the mid 70s. He hates the modern matchday 'experience' and spends most of the game chatting with mates about the good old days when they were crap but had an atmosphere.

Aye... Wolves still use 'hi ho silver lining' as do Sheffield Wednesday.

Left Winger

Jeff Beck must be appalled.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post

Agreed, I think YNWA is a dreadful dirge. I hate it. MOK is a far better crowd song, I couldn't care if a Scouser did write it.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Jeff Beck must be appalled.
    He'd probably approve of Hi Ho We Hate Derby.

Doesn't like Joe Worrall

The instrumental version of MOK should be played instead of that melted face twats voice ruining it.