Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Davies interview

Default Billy Davies interview

Not that I want to start another Billy Davies discussion because it's as boring as anything but Christ this interview.

Turns out he is suing the club, blaming a PR company for his demise and says Hearts, St Mirren are 'beaneath him' and he deserves to be at the top. I wonder if the "top lawyers" that advised him was his cousin...

Move on Bill pal. Take a job and rebuild your reputation instead of this.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...-man-j8qmpnjth

I braced myself going to meet Billy Davies. The reputation of this football manager goes before him: talented, abrasive, angry, feeling persecuted. It didn’t take long for it all to come pouring out.

“The lies, the smears!” Davies hissed as he reflected on his three years out of football. An avalanche of resentment duly followed.

His ability as a manager is beyond question. Wherever he has gone — Preston North End, Derby County, Nottingham Forest — Davies has raised the bar and put his teams in contention. It took him a mere 11 months to get Derby promoted to the English Premier League in 2007, making the club tens of millions in the process, and they haven’t been back since. Between Preston, Derby and Forest, Davies has been to five English Championship play-offs and racked up countless managerial awards.

If only this was the sum of it. Davies has been out of football since being sacked by Forest in March 2014 and has spent the interim nursing various aggrieved theories about why this is the case. He has spent three years pursuing a breach of contract action against Forest, as well as accumulating what he believes to be evidence of an orchestrated smear campaign against him.

“I love football, I miss football,” says Davies. “It is in my blood. But three years ago I spoke with a very respected legal individual who, back at the beginning of all this, told me categorically: ‘Billy, you cannot go back into football until you clear this up’.

“I have gone through various QCs, Scottish and English law firms, the League Managers Association, HMRC and more, chasing all the data I needed to show I was an innocent man. It has taken me a long, long time but I have now got that data.”

An innocent man against what or whom, I asked him.

“In the face of the lies, the smears,” Davies replies. “I’ve spent in the region of £100,000 — maybe higher — on my case. I know I am innocent. You saw it everywhere on social media: ‘Bloody Billy Davies … there is a reason why no club will touch him with a ten-foot pole … even shitty Scottish teams’. It was all over Twitter and elsewhere, these lies about me.

“You’d think, over all this time, somebody like me should have had my hand bitten off — by Rangers, by all these English Championship clubs — because I am a very good football manager. Just look at my record. So let’s not be kidded here, it has been a smear campaign.

“My integrity and my morality will not allow them to do what they are doing to me ... these smears, these lies. I’m going to prove it.”

This is the interesting bit. Who are the “they” as in “what they are doing to me”? Davies believes there has been a malicious PR campaign against him which has driven him out of football. His face quivers slightly as he reels off the wickedness of it all.

“In December 2014 some people were touting me for the Rangers job,” he says. “So what they did was, they hit the Rangers fans forums, and they wrote nasty things about me there. My agent was told by a Rangers board member that the reason why Rangers did not come and get me, was because of these accusations.

“Then you get these ex-pros coming along and saying, ‘Don’t touch Billy Davies, it must be terrible working with Davies.’ Look, I know these people aren’t just writing these things off their own back. We knew what was going on. I’ve been showing this to my legal people. I’ve been gathering all this [evidence] for three years now. I know what’s been happening.

“A ‘trouble-maker’? ‘Baggage’? That’s not me. I’m so bad that two out of the three clubs I have managed — Preston and Nottingham Forest — have both asked me to go back and manage them. You don’t accumulate 78 points in a season, you don’t get to all these play-offs, and be difficult to work with.

“So, do I accept the smearing and just get on with things? Or do I deal with it? You look at the amount of games that they have taken away from me. They have stopped my personal development.

“I faced a choice: do I let this go or do I confront it and deal with it? I’ve made my choice. I’m dealing with it.”

Davies says it is a PR company — he won’t tell me where exactly — which is behind this smearing of him. He can even calibrate it, he is arithmetically specific about their calculated malice. “What they decided to do in their smearing is identify the bottom six EPL clubs, and some English Championship clubs that they know I would go to. They’ve sat down and identified these clubs. Plus, throw in the only club in Scotland — Glasgow Rangers — they identified them as well. Just look at the comments on these forums from certain people, during the process when Rangers were starting to pick a new manager. You can see it clearly.

“These people identified a certain level of club that they knew Billy Davies was suited for — six EPL clubs, ten Championship clubs, one Scottish club. They have targeted 16, 17 clubs. That’s what they’ve done with their lies, their smears.”

Throughout our conversation Davies’s face becomes taut and reddened with anger. His contract dispute with Nottingham Forest, from which he says he is owed money, is now going to arbitration, and is a case Davies might well win. He is angry at Forest and its former chief executive , Mark Arthur, and the club’s former owner and chairman, Fawaz Al-Hasawi.

“When I joined Forest the second time [in February 2013] there were 15 games remaining. We just missed out on the play-offs in the 93rd minute against Leicester — that would have been my sixth play-off. We then go into my second season [2013-14] where we had only 13 defeats in 59 matches.

“And people have written that my second season at Nottingham Forest was unsuccessful! 31 weeks out of 34 never out of the top six! Yet I was sacked with nine games remaining, two points outside the play-offs and with ten serious injuries.

“Things were written about me that were either half-truths or not true at all.

“It got to a stage where the Midlands mafia press corps — the gang — were consistent in what they were writing, reporting half-truths or lies. It was happening weekly.”

At this point Davies suddenly stops in his tracks and grabs his phone to show me a screenshot of a journalist on Twitter. “Look, look, here is one of the Midlands press corps. Look at this! This guy is saying point-blank here that journalists are out to do me in.

“All this negative stuff about Billy Davies was suddenly appearing in the press. It became a feeding frenzy over me as a football manager. They were even spreading a rumour that I had caused the death of Nigel Doughty [the former Forest chairman who died suddenly at 54]. Go and see for yourself the stuff that was written about me. Lies, all lies.”

Various journalists and media outlets were banned at Nottingham Forest during Davies’s second reign at the club, with all bans being lifted following his sacking. “I never banned any journalists,” says Davies.

When and where, I wondered, will this all end? Davies maintains that, legally, he will settle his dispute with Forest, and will also impale “the liars”. What I wanted to know, flagging amid this welter of anger, was when he would return to football.

“It’s very simple,” he replied. “I will not go to a doctor and receive a bit of advice about my heart or lungs, and go against his advice. I’ve had a very high-profile legal authority telling me — categorically — that I cannot go back into football until I clear this up

“I create a wonderful spirit at clubs. I get on very well with people. In fact, I have never fallen out with any of my chairmen — Peter Gadsby, Derek Shaw, Nigel Doughty, even Fawaz Al Hasawi.

“I know where I belong in the game, I know where I should be managing. No smear campaign, lies, maliciousness — whatever you want to call it — will drive me down to a lower level of football.

“I will not jump back in to a St Mirren, a Dundee United, a Hearts, with all due respect to these clubs. I know I am a very good football manager. I will not jump back into football and take a job that is beneath me.

“A smear campaign has driven me away. For whatever reason, they have decided to take away from me something that I love. They have put my career on pause. But I’ll be back soon. I don’t think there is any doubt that one day I will be back at the top of football.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not that type of player

Default Re: Billy Davies interview

I forgot how paranoid and unhinged he is.

"I spoke with a very respected legal individual.."

Last edited by Ravi; 09-09-17 at 09:49.
    "Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Left Winger

The guy is a fucking nutter.

And I'm glad he's no longer anywhere near Forest. He simply isn't worth the baggage.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    The guy is a fucking nutter.

And I'm glad he's no longer anywhere near Forest. He simply isn't worth the baggage.
    Careful, yours and Ravi's comment has just been entered into a database which will be used in the 2030 case of Davies v Everyone Else in Living Room Court. (Bit of a Simpsons reference there)

I can just imagine a 10-page debate of Alf being read out in a court of law

It is clear to me that this mysterious PR company has infiltrated the forum. Only Alf can save us now.

He claims that posts on fan forums are costing him work but if people were to use this forum and take a look at 3 of Alf's posts he'd be up for the Bayern Munich job.

Wow, that interview is unbelievable... firstly his ego is bigger than his talent and I don't share his grandiose opinion of himself. Yes he did well to get clubs into play-off's, but success is taking them beyond and surviving in the Premier League, which he never achieved. I don't like making comments about a persons mental health... but without any shred of evidence to back up his claims, he's coming across very delusional and paranoid that all are out to get him. That started to become clear during his tenure here and it's even more so in that interview.

Best served cold

That interview is brilliant and made me laugh loads. It's so bonkers and classic Billy Davies.

It's nice to see he still refers to himself in the third person

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Oh, that interview will help him loads. He was screwed over the first time, he screwed himself the second time.........don't touch Jimmy!! (Seinfeld reference).

It's all about mid-table...

He'll purriz sen in an early grave.

"Aye, we were about to give Billy Davies the Rangers job. But then we noticed on the Rangers forum that midlandsmafia1979 had called him a wee cnut, so we gave the job to somebody else"

Sounds legit.

Devils favourite advocate

Go in any back street boozer in Scotland today and youll hear the same crazy rant by a begby lookalike.... telling you he could have made it big?

Excuse my memory but didnt we have to beat Leicester because of boltons result and Leicester scored a winner in the last minute? So how could we be in the play offs in the 93rd minute?

I thought we finished 8th a point behind Bolton and Leicester?

Too School for Cool

When you're in a hole, stop digging.

He's a very good manager at this level, seems bloody impossible to manage but I could see him being brilliant to work for. He definitely had our squads playing above their level but just has a propensity to self destruct that overwhelms everything else.

Just where did all those people behind the scenes go to? Just how did Jimbo become so important? Why was he shouting at that photographer, who was perhaps working for that PR company?

Undeniably a good manager, but from the outside, undeniably bonkers?

It's a real shame really, as if it wasn't for this sort of thing he'd be a brilliant manager.

Best served cold

I'm concerned because Billy's name has been invoked and Alf is still nowhere to be seen. He alright?

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    I'm concerned because Billy's name has been invoked and Alf is still nowhere to be seen. He alright?
    Yep... this thread is tailor-made for Alf.

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    It's a real shame really, as if it wasn't for this sort of thing he'd be a brilliant manager.
    Seen and read a number of interviews with some of our players who played under him, they all say he was great with them and got the most out of them, like you say its a shame he cant keep his trap shut

It was what it was.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    It was what it was.
    There he is

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    It was what it was.
    Is it hard work, running a PR company?

Too School for Cool

Reading that actually made me quite sad. The man clearly has a personality disorder.

That's a long bloody interview