Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Bangerz.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Been playing these past few months and this week whilst getting the treatment. Observations so far:

FF4 - Mint. Seems dated at first, but soon won me over with it's charm, and a great play.

FF5 - Brilliant, joint fave so far. Job system is awesome.

FF6 - On the list to play, but wanted to fast forward to some of the newer ones and save a retro one for later. Read this is the McDaddy so saving until last.

FF7 - Played years ago. Thrived on it then, but need a replay.

FF8 - Bit shit, but charming. Liked a lot about it, but the actual game itself bored & annoyed me.

FF9 - Forgetable. Lots to like, but nothing grabbed me at all.

FFX - Absolutely love it. Joint fave with 5. Cheesy, innocent fun & the characters are all mint. Something about the purity of the story too which really makes it special.

FFX-2 - Absolute bollocks. Just total "wtf?"

FF12 - Really good in parts, but the exploration areas are just too vast & empty. It's also a bit too much like Star Wars. Enjoyed it, but couldn't be arsed to finish it.

FF13 - Christ, what did they do here? You don't do anything, the game plays itself. Awful.

FF15 - Didn't take to it. Again, too simple - "hold button to win". Tbf I didn't sink much time into it, so might give it another go one day.

By far & away the highlight of the series is the Summons for me. The games which focus on them less are less interesting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
    X-2 was the only one I've ever played and I haven't gone back to the series since.

Guess I chose the wrong one to start with

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by Liaminho View Post
    X-2 was the only one I've ever played and I haven't gone back to the series since.

Guess I chose the wrong one to start with
    defo.

I was quite invested in it coz of the plot from X, and within about 5 min of playing it was clear it was and absolute cluster fuck of a game.

I gave it a few hours to get better, but nope.

Been playing these past few months and this week whilst getting the treatment. Observations so far:

FF4 - Mint. Seems dated at first, but soon won me over with it's charm, and a great play.

FF6 - On the list to play, but wanted to fast forward to some of the newer ones and save a retro one for later. Read this is the McDaddy so saving until last.

FF8 - Bit shit, but charming. Liked a lot about it, but the actual game itself bored & annoyed me.

FFX - Absolutely love it. Joint fave with 5. Cheesy, innocent fun & the characters are all mint. Something about the purity of the story too which really makes it special.

FF12 - Really good in parts, but the exploration areas are just too vast & empty. It's also a bit too much like Star Wars. Enjoyed it, but couldn't be arsed to finish it.

FF13 - Christ, what did they do here? You don't do anything, the game plays itself. Awful.

FF15 - Didn't take to it. Again, too simple - "hold button to win". Tbf I didn't sink much time into it, so might give it another go one day.

By far & away the highlight of the series is the Summons for me. The games which focus on them less are less interesting.

Think you're a little harsh on 8 and 9, 10-2 was alright, 7 was amazing and they are doing a reboot which looks to be phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    Think you're a little harsh on 8 and 9, 10-2 was alright, 7 was amazing and they are doing a reboot which looks to be phenomenal.
    What did me with 8 was the draw system. It just got dull. Also it took AGES to move from one screen to the next with loading times, which made it mega boring. There's a good game in there, enjoyed the story & characters, I just couldn't get past the mechanics.

9 on the other hand was just bland. I can barely remember anything about it. Didn't grab me at all, and just felt very by the numbers.

Gonna have to play 7 again. Remember loving it. Take it that's your fave?

What did me with 8 was the draw system. It just got dull. Also it took AGES to move from one screen to the next with loading times, which made it mega boring. There's a good game in there, enjoyed the story & characters, I just couldn't get past the mechanics.

9 on the other hand was just bland. I can barely remember anything about it. Didn't grab me at all, and just felt very by the numbers.

Gonna have to play 7 again. Remember loving it. Take it that's your fave?

It is yeah, I'm looking at buying it again on the Switch so I can play it handheld it could be nostalgia blurring my opinion.

On the subject of X I really wanted them to release Blitzball as a stand alone sports game as I absolutely loved that

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    It is yeah, I'm looking at buying it again on the Switch so I can play it handheld it could be nostalgia blurring my opinion.

On the subject of X I really wanted them to release Blitzball as a stand alone sports game as I absolutely loved that
    Blitzball was mint. Dread to think of how many hours I've sunk into that. Really added to the feel of the world too, with you doing your "day job" as you progressed through the adventure. X was just brilliant.

Blitzball was mint. Dread to think of how many hours I've sunk into that. Really added to the feel of the world too, with you doing your "day job" as you progressed through the adventure. X was just brilliant.
    Yeah it did, the only thing I didn't like was trying to recruit better players as the best of the best we're always hidden in ridiculous spots or behind challenges that were so hard. I had the walk through book and still struggled to get the best team.

Best served cold

Good list that. My personal favourite is either of 6 or 9. Adore most of them in fairness and the only one I didn't like was 10. Tried World of Final Fantasy recently and found that one a bit boring - it's just missing a hook.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    Good list that. My personal favourite is either of 6 or 9. Adore most of them in fairness and the only one I didn't like was 10. Tried World of Final Fantasy recently and found that one a bit boring - it's just missing a hook.
    Looking forward to 6 after hearing all the praise it's had

Remember reading that you enjoyed 15 mate. Did you like it from the start, or was there a point when you thought "this is mint!"?

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 31-03-19 at 18:07.

Warp Speed Chic

Default Re: The Final Fantasy thread - Sponsored by Harvey.

One trophy away from the Platinum for FFXV.

The bloody survival one. Have to use a usb cable on my pad so that Noctis runs and I can do other things.

Warp Speed Chic

Done it!

Remember reading that you enjoyed 15 mate. Did you like it from the start, or was there a point when you thought "this is mint!"?

I was bored until about halfway through the game during XV, then the story seemed to pick up and towards the end I started to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    I was bored until about halfway through the game during XV, then the story seemed to pick up and towards the end I started to love it.
    Cheers Dan.

Not sure if I can bare with it for that long. Assuming it's a good 15-20 hour slog before owt gets good?

Does the combat change from "hold button to win"?

Menior Sember

I haven't bothered with WV cos everyone told me it was crap, but might pick it up on a sale for completionists sake

Best served cold

Pretty much from the start from what I remember. I can't pinpoint any one thing that hooked me with it, but there was so much to do I was completely reeled in. Possibly it's because everything feels surprisingly convenient and a lot more casual than normal. The last piece of DLC launched recently, so I am looking forward to diving back in for one final jaunt around that world.

World of Final Fantasy I've totally sacked off. I went in hoping for something more in the style of the 8/16/32 Bit era FF games but it lacks that grand feel. It has a very small scale feel to it which is odd.

6 will always stick with me because of the opening music in the snow, it always reminds me of Christmas as a kid. We had one of those converters that let you play US cartridges, and somehow ended up with Final Fantasy 3 (which is what 6 was released as in the US) along the way. That and Super Castlevania were two of my favourite square blocky carts

Last edited by incapable hulk; 10-04-19 at 10:33.

Pretty much from the start from what I remember. I can't pinpoint any one thing that hooked me with it, but there was so much to do I was completely reeled in. Possibly it's because everything feels surprisingly convenient and a lot more casual than normal. The last piece of DLC launched recently, so I am looking forward to diving back in for one final jaunt around that world.

World of Final Fantasy I've totally sacked of. I went in hoping for something more in the style of the 8/16/32 Bit era FF games but it lacks that grand feel. It has a very small scale feel to it which is odd.
    Cheers Hulk : cheers:

I'll grab it again when it's only a few Bob and give it another blast.

Best served cold

Cheers Hulk : cheers:

I'll grab it again when it's only a few Bob and give it another blast.
    It's well worth it, Alf. Definitely one of the ones that lives up to it's billing.

I'd have loved to have seen Square remake that. Speaking of, I would also love to know what's happened to the FF7 remake that was announced yonks ago.

Speaking of, I would also love to know what's happened to the FF7 remake that was announced yonks ago.
    Outsourced a load of the work to an external development company, it was substandard, scrapped all of the work done to date, sacked the development team and took it all in house. That's why its so delayed, also seems a lot of SquareEnix staff were preoccupied with finishing Kingdom Hearts 3 first. It's going to be too late for PS4 soon.

Cheers Dan.

Not sure if I can bare with it for that long. Assuming it's a good 15-20 hour slog before owt gets good?

Does the combat change from "hold button to win"?

There are more layers to the combat as it goes on, but I still found it very easy. I just got pulled in by the story really.

Best served cold

Outsourced a load of the work to an external development company, it was substandard, scrapped all of the work done to date, sacked the development team and took it all in house. That's why its so delayed, also seems a lot of SquareEnix staff were preoccupied with finishing Kingdom Hearts 3 first. It's going to be too late for PS4 soon.
    Yeah I'd read some of those stories. I was glad they focused so heavily on getting KH 3 out as that turned out pretty great. But hopefully it does make it out this gen as there isn't much else on the horizon to close it with a bang.

Warp Speed Chic

Ff7 was in a PlayStation video last night.

Looks beautiful, and more info coming in June

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Ff7 was in a PlayStation video last night.

Looks beautiful, and more info coming in June
    Here we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df0YG3qfZ8E

Erm. I'm not to struck on that tbh. Seems to take itself a bit too seriously, and has lost some of it's charm.

Also, I used to like it coz of the turn based combat. Not sure I really want to be playing the game in an action stylee

Menior Sember

Looks mega. Can't wait.

Erm. I'm not to struck on that tbh. Seems to take itself a bit too seriously, and has lost some of it's charm.

Also, I used to like it coz of the turn based combat. Not sure I really want to be playing the game in an action stylee
    My concern is that they are just going to make a Final Fantasy 15 clone, which it looks a bit like. It looks a bit style over substance.

But fuck it, its Final Fantasy 7 so I will be all in whatever its like, I loved Crisis Core because it was a different look at Midgar. I even liked that god awful Dirge of Cerberus game at the time.