Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: This safe standing business.

Default This safe standing business.

Just been reading the statement from the club regarding the possibility of safe standing and seen the quote that they and the trust are aware of the sensitivityís involved as we were at hillsborough. I know Iím knocking on a bit but good god how piss week is society getting nowadays. As if we are all going to turn into quivering jellyís and seek the nearest shrink if we re-introduce any sort of terracing. Surely the simple answer would be to buy a seat ainít it.
    Anyway if we were granted it Iíd rather like to see the Trent end lower perhaps have the glass frontage taken out and it all be made into safe standing. Might breath some life in that end like it did with the old girl before it was redeveloped.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: This safe standing business.

I was at Hillsborough on that fatal day and believe that we Forest fans get no recognition for the trauma we went through seeing the disaster unfold before us. Obviously nothing compared to the poor soles at the front of the Leppings Lane End!
    It is with this in mind that I am all for safe standing. It is tried and tested and will be a huge step towards putting some of the bad memories to bed!

I was at Hillsborough . A terrible day but can't say I was traumatised. I believe safe standing is what it says,safe. People are standing any way in large parts of football grounds . I'm ok with standing at away grounds at the moment but in years to come,I might be glad to sit down! At least safe standing areas would give me a choice.

I was there too, not traumatised until they finally let us out and I saw a line of ambulances stretching down the street as far as the eye could see. We were at the other end of the ground and all we could see was Liverpool fans coming onto the pitch for no apparent reason.

Safe standing sounds like a good idea.

The Foam Hand

I was at Hillsborough as well and welcome safe standing.
    Germany has proved it works and it is safe.

Terraces weren't actually a problem if supervised, policed and common sense used correctly, but you know...

Purveyor of exotic goods

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I was at Hillsborough as well and welcome safe standing.
    Germany has proved it works and it is safe.

Terraces weren't actually a problem if supervised, policed and common sense used correctly, but you know...
    Except for the streams of urine forming around my 9 year old feet, I loved that shitty shed of a Trent End. Proper.

Clapham Eco Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTomato View Post
    Except for the streams of urine forming around my 9 year old feet, I loved that shitty shed of a Trent End. Proper.
    Never mind your nine year old feet, what about my four year old son?

I've been to plenty of gigs with thoroughly unsafe standing, free flowing alcohol and that take place in almost total darkness with people being squashed up against metal barriers.

I can't quite understand why this is totally acceptable, but safe standing at football matches still feels light years away.

Last edited by Frank Clarks Tash; 24-05-19 at 17:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer is a Red View Post
    I was at Hillsborough on that fatal day and believe that we Forest fans get no recognition for the trauma we went through seeing the disaster unfold before us. Obviously nothing compared to the poor soles at the front of the Leppings Lane End!
    It is with this in mind that I am all for safe standing. It is tried and tested and will be a huge step towards putting some of the bad memories to bed!
    Why would forest fans get anything from anyone when it was those twats from Merseyside at the hub of it all

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Never mind your nine year old feet, what about my four year old son?
    He'll be safe in the Kiddies Pen (if and when they reintroduce it).
    It was at the bottom left corner of the Trent End as you look towards the pitch.
    That's where I used to head for until my voice broke and I could go and stand with the bad lads behind the goal.
    There is absolutely nothing, I repeat nothing, wrong with terraced standing at football games.
    Hillsborough was tragic for those involved, either in the crush, or as captive onlookers, but to blame standing on the terraces is a gross miscarriage of justice.
    I stood safely when 49,000 were crammed into the City Ground v Man Untd back in the late 1960s.
    Banning standing on the terraces was a step along the road of "gentrifying" attendance at football matches.
    Put in seats, hike the prices and have kick-off times moved at the drop of a hat - all in the name of trying to eliminate the working classes from football, so that the TV cameras and microphones didn't beam the raw emotion into the living rooms of middle Britain.
    The buggers have herded us like cattle, penned in behind 8 foot high fences; they have done so much to remove us from the beautiful game so that media moguls, advertising companies etc can all screw the life blood, and the money out of the game.
    Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    The buggers have herded us like cattle, penned in behind 8 foot high fences; they have done so much to remove us from the beautiful game so that media moguls, advertising companies etc can all screw the life blood, and the money out of the game.
    Rant over.
    Not a rant, you're just stating facts.

I very rarely feel inclined to pay thirty quid plus to be told to sit down. If the sport had done anything at all to make the seats comfortable, I could understand. My arse is bony, my patience is short and my memory is long. Don't think I ever sat at a match until I went to Highfield Road in 1997 to have my Norwegian mate shout obscenities at new Blackburn signing Lars Bohinen.