Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 126 to 141 of 141

Thread: Adam Federici

  1. #126
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    22,359

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Jordan Smith looks like he could go on to become a very accomplished Championship goal keeper. However at this moment he needs an experienced pro at the club to help him along, and more importantly the defence needs one. Warburton is still implementing his style which relies on possession, which is tough to do when your keeper is constantly giving the ball back to the opposition. That isn't a criticism of Smith, as it's something he'll develop over the long term by working with Warburton and the coaching staff, but right now we need to be taking things in steps, and a big one is to settle the defence and try to avoid giving the ball away.

    If Warburton doesn't get another keeper in then Smith will be fine but if he can get Federici in I think it would make a big difference to the team. Either way we need depth at in that position which we don't currently have.

    "I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #127
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,580

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    Jordan Smith looks like he could go on to become a very accomplished Championship goal keeper. However at this moment he needs an experienced pro at the club to help him along, and more importantly the defence needs one. Warburton is still implementing his style which relies on possession, which is tough to do when your keeper is constantly giving the ball back to the opposition. That isn't a criticism of Smith, as it's something he'll develop over the long term by working with Warburton and the coaching staff, but right now we need to be taking things in steps, and a big one is to settle the defence and try to avoid giving the ball away.

    If Warburton doesn't get another keeper in then Smith will be fine but if he can get Federici in I think it would make a big difference to the team. Either way we need depth at in that position which we don't currently have.
    That's exactly it.

    I think Jordan Smith can go on and establish himself as the clear Number 1 goalkeeper for us and be a real asset, and he's not far off it because he's the one you'd pick at the moment.

    But there's nothing wrong with giving him some healthy competition and somebody that pushes him to learn and develop more quickly.


  4. #128
    Interfering with play
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sector 5 Slums
    Posts
    6,007

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    I think the problem is that if you want to play a ball-to-feet passing game from the back you'd better make sure your back four and keeper are solid as a rock, otherwise you're just inviting pressure. So as much as I'd love to keep Smith there and watch him develop into the great keeper I think he can be we need some experience in that area of the field, otherwise we're going to carry on conceding 2 or 3 every game, and Federici would provide that. If nothing else his presence in the squad would help Smith develop those skills he's currently lacking.


  5. #129
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,483

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Being poor at distribution cost Joe Hart the number one jersey at Man City and he's supposedly the country's number one keeper,it's the modern day way of football for managers to have goalkeepers comfortable on the ball and being able to pass to all areas of the pitch long or short.Smith might not fit that criteria perfectly but he is young and brave enough to want to improve,and hopefully he will.


  6. #130
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wits' End
    Posts
    5,365

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Smiths abilities at keeping the ball out the net has influenced results, his distribution issues haven't.

    Why not let the GK coach do the mentoring. Im assuming he's proficient at coaching playing the ball out, given he's MWs choice.


  7. #131
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    6,426

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No disrespect to Smith but im surprised a kid has gone all the way through an academy from age 7 and still has problems with basic distribution.
    He doesn't have a problem with basic distribution. He has a problem with constant distribution which is what he's being asked to do.

    I think people exaggerate how bad he is at distribution. He makes the odd blunder but you have to remember he's constantly being asked to start moves - when the opposition are probably wise to it.

    We do need another goalkeeper but Smith is far from a donkey with the ball at his feet. I've seen much worse from goalkeepers that aren't even being asked to play it from the back.


  8. #132
    Doesn't like Joe Worrall
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    33,797

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    He doesn't have a problem with basic distribution. He has a problem with constant distribution which is what he's being asked to do.

    I think people exaggerate how bad he is at distribution. He makes the odd blunder but you have to remember he's constantly being asked to start moves - when the opposition are probably wise to it.

    We do need another goalkeeper but Smith is far from a donkey with the ball at his feet. I've seen much worse from goalkeepers that aren't even being asked to play it from the back.
    Like i have said its no disrespect to Smith and was more of a general statement

    The role of goalkeeper has changed massively at the successful clubs over the last 10 years.. they have become the sweeper rather than playing behind one.

    You'd have thought this would be worked on from an early age.... its understandable in keepers like Hart but im surprised the younger keepers arent more confident.


  9. #133
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niche Club
    Posts
    25,400

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    We need the Championship equivalent of Manuel Neuer.

    "Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

  10. #134
    Interfering with play
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sector 5 Slums
    Posts
    6,007

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    We need the Championship equivalent of Manuel Neuer.
    Que?


  11. #135
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockton, California
    Posts
    9,951

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    We need the Championship equivalent of Manuel Neuer.
    AL RASHIDI

    Or however you spell his name.


    #FutureMod #ForeignGod #JustBuyMoreDefenders


  12. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Replace him? Some want a championship keeper with experience?

    Fuck that. The keepers in this division largely shit and have one thing in common: they all make terrible mistakes. I remember watching grant for derby (he was one of the better and more experienced goalkeepers in the championship at the time) and every 5 or so games he'd make a mistake that cost a goal, sometimes 2.

    These experienced goalkeepers are stuck in this division for that reason: they repeatedly make these mistakes.

    For that reason alone id keep smith. He's not done it yet.

    Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk


  13. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Everywhere, and yet nowhere to be seen
    Posts
    1,144

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by JordanForest View Post
    Replace him? Some want a championship keeper with experience?

    Fuck that. The keepers in this division largely shit and have one thing in common: they all make terrible mistakes. I remember watching grant for derby (he was one of the better and more experienced goalkeepers in the championship at the time) and every 5 or so games he'd make a mistake that cost a goal, sometimes 2.

    These experienced goalkeepers are stuck in this division for that reason: they repeatedly make these mistakes.

    For that reason alone id keep smith. He's not done it yet.

    Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
    Grant now plays in the Premiership


  14. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,916

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Penguin View Post
    Grant now plays in the Premiership
    He was Stoke's player of the season last year too. Currently second choice to Butland, sign him up ffs


  15. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    This one now appears dead in the water...


  16. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,916

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by T.O.Tricky. View Post
    This one now appears dead in the water...
    Some fans are singing Hallelujah to that


  17. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    741

    Default Re: Adam Federici

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Smiths abilities at keeping the ball out the net has influenced results, his distribution issues haven't.

    Why not let the GK coach do the mentoring. Im assuming he's proficient at coaching playing the ball out, given he's MWs choice.
    It will when he's chucking the ball to £15m strikers rather than League 1 quality ones.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •