Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Adam Federici

Best served cold

Default Re: Adam Federici

Jordan Smith looks like he could go on to become a very accomplished Championship goal keeper. However at this moment he needs an experienced pro at the club to help him along, and more importantly the defence needs one. Warburton is still implementing his style which relies on possession, which is tough to do when your keeper is constantly giving the ball back to the opposition. That isn't a criticism of Smith, as it's something he'll develop over the long term by working with Warburton and the coaching staff, but right now we need to be taking things in steps, and a big one is to settle the defence and try to avoid giving the ball away.

If Warburton doesn't get another keeper in then Smith will be fine but if he can get Federici in I think it would make a big difference to the team. Either way we need depth at in that position which we don't currently have.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    Jordan Smith looks like he could go on to become a very accomplished Championship goal keeper. However at this moment he needs an experienced pro at the club to help him along, and more importantly the defence needs one. Warburton is still implementing his style which relies on possession, which is tough to do when your keeper is constantly giving the ball back to the opposition. That isn't a criticism of Smith, as it's something he'll develop over the long term by working with Warburton and the coaching staff, but right now we need to be taking things in steps, and a big one is to settle the defence and try to avoid giving the ball away.

If Warburton doesn't get another keeper in then Smith will be fine but if he can get Federici in I think it would make a big difference to the team. Either way we need depth at in that position which we don't currently have.
    That's exactly it.

I think Jordan Smith can go on and establish himself as the clear Number 1 goalkeeper for us and be a real asset, and he's not far off it because he's the one you'd pick at the moment.

But there's nothing wrong with giving him some healthy competition and somebody that pushes him to learn and develop more quickly.

Interfering with play

I think the problem is that if you want to play a ball-to-feet passing game from the back you'd better make sure your back four and keeper are solid as a rock, otherwise you're just inviting pressure. So as much as I'd love to keep Smith there and watch him develop into the great keeper I think he can be we need some experience in that area of the field, otherwise we're going to carry on conceding 2 or 3 every game, and Federici would provide that. If nothing else his presence in the squad would help Smith develop those skills he's currently lacking.

Being poor at distribution cost Joe Hart the number one jersey at Man City and he's supposedly the country's number one keeper,it's the modern day way of football for managers to have goalkeepers comfortable on the ball and being able to pass to all areas of the pitch long or short.Smith might not fit that criteria perfectly but he is young and brave enough to want to improve,and hopefully he will.

Smiths abilities at keeping the ball out the net has influenced results, his distribution issues haven't.

Why not let the GK coach do the mentoring. Im assuming he's proficient at coaching playing the ball out, given he's MWs choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No disrespect to Smith but im surprised a kid has gone all the way through an academy from age 7 and still has problems with basic distribution.
    He doesn't have a problem with basic distribution. He has a problem with constant distribution which is what he's being asked to do.

I think people exaggerate how bad he is at distribution. He makes the odd blunder but you have to remember he's constantly being asked to start moves - when the opposition are probably wise to it.

We do need another goalkeeper but Smith is far from a donkey with the ball at his feet. I've seen much worse from goalkeepers that aren't even being asked to play it from the back.

Doesn't like Joe Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    He doesn't have a problem with basic distribution. He has a problem with constant distribution which is what he's being asked to do.

I think people exaggerate how bad he is at distribution. He makes the odd blunder but you have to remember he's constantly being asked to start moves - when the opposition are probably wise to it.

We do need another goalkeeper but Smith is far from a donkey with the ball at his feet. I've seen much worse from goalkeepers that aren't even being asked to play it from the back.
    Like i have said its no disrespect to Smith and was more of a general statement

The role of goalkeeper has changed massively at the successful clubs over the last 10 years.. they have become the sweeper rather than playing behind one.

You'd have thought this would be worked on from an early age.... its understandable in keepers like Hart but im surprised the younger keepers arent more confident.

We need the Championship equivalent of Manuel Neuer.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Interfering with play

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Que?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    AL RASHIDI

Or however you spell his name.

#FutureMod #ForeignGod #JustBuyMoreDefenders

Replace him? Some want a championship keeper with experience?

Fuck that. The keepers in this division largely shit and have one thing in common: they all make terrible mistakes. I remember watching grant for derby (he was one of the better and more experienced goalkeepers in the championship at the time) and every 5 or so games he'd make a mistake that cost a goal, sometimes 2.

These experienced goalkeepers are stuck in this division for that reason: they repeatedly make these mistakes.

For that reason alone id keep smith. He's not done it yet.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JordanForest View Post
    Replace him? Some want a championship keeper with experience?

Fuck that. The keepers in this division largely shit and have one thing in common: they all make terrible mistakes. I remember watching grant for derby (he was one of the better and more experienced goalkeepers in the championship at the time) and every 5 or so games he'd make a mistake that cost a goal, sometimes 2.

These experienced goalkeepers are stuck in this division for that reason: they repeatedly make these mistakes.

For that reason alone id keep smith. He's not done it yet.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
    Grant now plays in the Premiership

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Penguin View Post
    Grant now plays in the Premiership
    He was Stoke's player of the season last year too. Currently second choice to Butland, sign him up ffs

This one now appears dead in the water...

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.Tricky. View Post
    This one now appears dead in the water...
    Some fans are singing Hallelujah to that

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Smiths abilities at keeping the ball out the net has influenced results, his distribution issues haven't.

Why not let the GK coach do the mentoring. Im assuming he's proficient at coaching playing the ball out, given he's MWs choice.
    It will when he's chucking the ball to £15m strikers rather than League 1 quality ones.