Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Current state of the squad

Default Re: Current state of the squad

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Young Cash is an ideal player in Mark Warburton’s system as he’s capable of playing in a number of roles.

I think once injury free, he will become a valuable first team squad player.
    warburton did say he sees cash as a wingback although not sure about that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    If we are comfortably positioned in January and the owners ambition really is to build a long term sustainable Forest then I don't see why we have to rush to buy players in January.

Far better to sit tight and pick up bargins in the summer and develop further next season.

If the right player comes up at the right price in January then great, but don't rush to get someone just for the sake of filling a position. That's how we've ended up with a lot of overpaid dross we need to get rid of.
    Erik. This is a top post.

Reason I say this is, squads can become to big if you just buy players because you need competition in the position. Our squad is already too big according to Warburton.

Everything needs to be right for us and the player. So if the right opportunities open in Jan like you say then act but I rather like to see where we are in the summer for our major additions. (By that no more than 3/4 additions)

Fundamentally rushing out to buy players is always the wrong way to do it. Managers, Directors don't ever seem to see the troubles they cause further down the line (once they've gone) when they are bringing "bodies" in. We've been crippled for years (and are still paying the price) for transfer policies that just seem to react to what agents put in front us us.. At least it feels like we are being proactive now, theres a plan and we won't make any rash decisions. The money avaialable to a football club in this league is precious and finally someone seems to be taking note..

Agree with you both. I would extend this to Lewis Morgan too if we're going in for him. His contract expires in the Summer - lets just wait and pick him up then if it's deemed we still want him then, rather than cough up half a million six months before said expiry.

Don't think any of our fans would bat an eyelid if it meant we missed out on him because it would signal some prudence by this club for the first time in ages.

Proud father of the :whoosh:

Default Current state of the squad

Warburton is shaping the team with intelligence and patience, two attributes we rarely see in much of our fan base.

He’s building foundations, searching for rough diamonds, hunting potential to fill and cover each role.

We will always face challenges but flexibility is key and developing our youngsters hungry for success along with our experienced players is already proving to be our way forward.

Last edited by T.B.T.; 05-11-17 at 11:39.
    'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.

Visit my Facebook page 'DBW Creative'

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    If we are comfortably positioned in January and the owners ambition really is to build a long term sustainable Forest then I don't see why we have to rush to buy players in January.

Far better to sit tight and pick up bargins in the summer and develop further next season.

If the right player comes up at the right price in January then great, but don't rush to get someone just for the sake of filling a position. That's how we've ended up with a lot of overpaid dross we need to get rid of.
    You're right of course, but I still think it's worth the effort of trying to get rid of some players and either strengthening the team with some quality or giving a couple of youngsters more chances to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Goalies: Smith is OK; Henderson isn't; we have no cover and really Smith should be the cover with a newbie coming in as No 1.
    Right Backs: only 1 really: Lichaj - no one else, including Darikwa can really play at Right Back
    Left Backs: only Traore - Fox may be a left back on paper, but he has not got the pace or position sense. Lichaj is wasted at Left Back as he is so much better on the right.
    Centre Backs: Hobbs (when off the treatment table), Worrall, Mancienne and Fox are all OK; Mills is a waste of a shirt because of his whole attitude - and he doesn't appear to have a great footballing brain either.
    Holding Midfielders: Bridcutt and Vaughan (when fit) are OK; still not sure about Bouchalakis. No one else should be considered for the role. Poor old Chris Cohen - I think his playing days are numbered (and the number isn't a high one).
    Attacking Midfielders: Ward, Dowell,Osborn, all OK; Clough - needs time to settle into the system but at the moment is not cutting the mustard.
    Wide men: McKay and Carayol: - both pretty good on their day
    Strikers: Murphy is OK - slow but experienced; Vellios - persona non-grata; Brereton - one for the future (maybe); Cummings - a bit like Clough... has potential but not cutting the mustard.
    Overall, the squad is getting better, but there is a long way to go.
    No-one in the squad strikes me as a "first name on the team sheet player - all are much of a muchness.
    Maybe that's what we need right now... but I do miss having a "star" like Britt Assombalonga.
    Still, there is always January and then next summer.
    Addendum:
    I forgot about Matty Cash - keen but I am still not convinced he is anything really special. Maybe he will grow into being a star man for us.
    And (shame on me) Tyler Walker: what a revelation yesterday when I saw him live for the first time in a long time! I thought he was going to be a bit of a damp squib, but actually, he is maturing into a really good player - he has progressed over the last 2 seasons and Brereton needs to watch how he has done it. Tyler looked a real good 'un yesterday against QPR.

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    Closing in on January; be interesting to see what the staff rate as the most important replacements.

That is, is we can get the ones we want for the money we have. Also will be difficult to shift out anyone to make room for the new intake. Probably expecting too much in January, wait until July?
    Let's hope we don't need to find a replacement for Keiran Dowell.
    He is becoming key to the relative success of our season!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Addendum:
    I forgot about Matty Cash - keen but I am still not convinced he is anything really special. Maybe he will grow into being a star man for us.
    And (shame on me) Tyler Walker: what a revelation yesterday when I saw him live for the first time in a long time! I thought he was going to be a bit of a damp squib, but actually, he is maturing into a really good player - he has progressed over the last 2 seasons and Brereton needs to watch how he has done it. Tyler looked a real good 'un yesterday against QPR.
    So Smith shouldn't play, Cash isn't going to amount to anything and Walker surprised you by not being crap? Time to close the academy I'd say.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redad View Post
    So Smith shouldn't play, Cash isn't going to amount to anything and Walker surprised you by not being crap? Time to close the academy I'd say.

I think you are poking fun at me!
    I have not written of the Academy, nor Smith, nor Cash (nor Brereton for that matter.
    Smith is a decent keeper, but there is no adequate cover (Henderson just isn't good enough in my opinion)and the pressure on the lad will grow and grow.
    He has been very reliable mostly, and has made some excellent saves, but at Reading one of the key differences between the teams was the performance of Smith and the Reading keeper.
    Reading's keeper kept us out with several excellent save; Smith (again, just my opinion) was at fault with 2 of the Reading goals, resulting in a scoreline that flattered them, and made us look worse than we really were.
    I quoted Cloughie in another post in another thread, when he said Shilton won us 20 points because of his sheer brilliance and consistency.
    I just think we need to have cover, and that rather than by cover we should buy a more seasoned keeper to allow Smith to flourish.
    As for Cash, he has worryingly already had 2 long spells out with injuries.
    It is probably that he is unlucky, or it may be he just needs to get to be a bit more robust.
    I did state the "Maybe he will grow into being a star man for us".
    As for Walker - I last saw him 2 years ago, when he was still a boy, and very lightweight.
    The 2 years in between his QPR "start" and the previous one have seen him put on a bit of timber, and become a lot more assertive.
    His performance yesterday was really very good, and if he continues in that vein he will become a very valuable asset.
    The issue with Academy players, as most people recognise, is that when a team relies on too many of them, and on a regular week-in, week out basis, it can retard their development.
    I think our Academy is excellent, and the players it is producing have a lot of talent... for their age.
    I hope they all mature into class players; some wont.

I may have been tweaking your bits a bit.

Fox out till new year. Hobbs with his back issue with no time frame.

Basically hoping Wozza, Mance and Mills stay fit.

No disrespect to the guy because he seems like a decent bloke, but I will be bloody glad when Hobbs' contract is up and he fucks off. What an absolute drain on resources he has been since he joined us.