Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fawaz Best XI vs Cloughs Worst XI (or the close season time killer thread)

Default Re: Fawaz Best XI vs Cloughs Worst XI (or the close season time killer thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    If Cloughie had been given the England job he would have won the World Cup without a few of the so called "big names" in his squad.
    Cloughie would have nailed the World Cup in 82, he'd have built the team around Glenn Hoddle & he certainly wouldn't have let Shilton & Clemence take it in turns to be in goal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wandering around the CG

Default Re: Fawaz Best XI vs Cloughs Worst XI (or the close season time killer thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    And that's partly the reason. The team didn't hit the heights of the previous few seasons, and he was one of the most expensive players in the world. Expectations amongst fans had understandably gone through the roof. It's all relative.

He's still one of the best strikers who's ever played for this club, was far better than some of the other strikers mentioned in this thread, and would be at least a class or two above any of the Fawaz strikers.
    But what about his hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I agree. As I said above, most of those players would walk into any first XI in the Championship. It's hard to find a Clough XI which would be poor enough to make this game competitive.

What about his first team before promotion?
    Depends on what you count as Cloughs team. When he arrived at the City Ground he, as all new managers at new clubs do inherited a squad of players. His first team against Spurs in the cup was, Middleton, O,Kane Greenwood, Chapman, Jones, Richardson, Lyall, Martin, Butlin, Bowyer and O,Neill. Clough then started to build his team. Slowly and patiently he re built the team. I wouldn't say it was a true Clough team till midway through the 76/77 season. By then only Middleton , Chapman, Bowyer and O,Neill would be regular 1st teamers left from the Spurs match. The team put out on Jan 1st 77 against Blackburn was Middleton, Anderson, Clark, McGovern. Lloyd, Bowyer, O,Hare, O,Neill, With, Woodcock and Robertson, By Cloughs team obviously I mean a Clough Taylor team. It could be argued that the only true Cloughs teams at Forest were from 82 to 91