Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fawaz Best XI vs Cloughs Worst XI (or the close season time killer thread)

Default Fawaz Best XI vs Cloughs Worst XI (or the close season time killer thread)

so who would make Cloughs worst XI? Who was the cream of the crop under Fawaz? And which team would win in a fight to the death ( or even just in a bog standard game of football!!)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Fawaz Best XI vs Cloughs Worst XI (or the close season time killer thread)

Darlow
    Jara Hobbs Mancienne Pinillos
    Lansbury Guedioura Reid
    Antonio Assombalonga Burke

Managed by Sean O'Driscoll, the best coach this club ever had during the reign of Fawaz.

Default Re: Fawaz Best XI vs Cloughs Worst XI (or the close season time killer thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Darlow
    Jara Hobbs Mancienne Pinillos
    Lansbury Guedioura Reid
    Antonio Assombalonga Burke

Managed by Sean O'Driscoll, the best coach this club ever had during the reign of Fawaz.
    Sir Brian could pick his famous Pork Farms 11 and still hammer that lot

Who'd be in Clough's worst team?
    Gary Bannister (based on his time here)
    Big Bad Rob Rosario
    Gary Megson
    Carl Tiler
    Ray McKinnon
    Brett Williams

Not that type of player

I'll have a go at a Clough XI. Some of these would still walk into any current Championship team.

Andy Marriott

Mark Smalley
    Ian Butterworth
    Brett Williams
    Carl Tiler

Gary Megson
    Asa Hartford
    David Riley
    Kjetil Osvold

Gary Bannister
    Bob Rosario

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Good thread

So what players since's Clough's departure do folk think would have cut it with Clough? (excluding Stan as he was obviously sourced by Clough)

McKenna? Morgan? Bart-Williams? Reid?.........Lansbury?

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Clough and Lansbury. I'd pay good money to see that one. I'd imagine you'd see a top knot bobbing along Trent bridge as the owner sobbed

I'd go with the Fawaz team to win this. One of Cloughs strengths was that he wasn't too proud to admit a mistake and stick with bad players. There were some that were not great, albeit at a higher level.

I think a trio of Burke, Antonio and Assombalonga supplied by Reid would give a lot of decent teams nightmares.

I might find room for Lee Glover on the bench for the Worst XI.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Devils favourite advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Malwood View Post
    I might find room for Lee Glover on the bench for the Worst XI.

Glover > starbuck

Terry Wilson

Justin Fashanu

Peter Ward

They can find a spot on the Clough team.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    I'd go with the Fawaz team to win this. One of Cloughs strengths was that he wasn't too proud to admit a mistake and stick with bad players. There were some that were not great, albeit at a higher level.

I think a trio of Burke, Antonio and Assombalonga supplied by Reid would give a lot of decent teams nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.Tricky. View Post
    Terry Wilson

Justin Fashanu

Peter Ward

Terry Wilson was half decent before a serious injury fucked him.

David Campbell and Brian Rice

The players names being put up for Cloughies worst team plied their trade in the highest echelon of English football and helped keep Forest in the top half of the first division for most of the time and helped win trophies. Drop these players into the bottom half of the league below and they would be star players. I don't include the likes of Tyler and Rosario in this as when Brian brought them to the club we all know how unwell he was.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by OLDMANRED View Post
    The players names being put up for Cloughies worst team plied their trade in the highest echelon of English football and helped keep Forest in the top half of the first division for most of the time and helped win trophies. Drop these players into the bottom half of the league below and they would be star players. I don't include the likes of Tyler and Rosario in this as when Brian brought them to the club we all know how unwell he was.
    I agree. As I said above, most of those players would walk into any first XI in the Championship. It's hard to find a Clough XI which would be poor enough to make this game competitive.

What about his first team before promotion?

They used to say never buy a good player off Clough, because he will cease to be good with immediate effect.

Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Got me thinking along a similar vein, who would be in a "post clough best XI"?

Collymore, Roy, Bohinen, Reid for starters for me

Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    They used to say never buy a good player off Clough, because he will cease to be good with immediate effect.

Dead on

I think he would have made great (top half Prem) players out of Bart-man, Reid, Dawson, Britt, Antonio & Morgan. Possibly McGugan & McKenna too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Dead on

I think he would have made great (top half Prem) players out of Bart-man, Reid, Dawson, Britt, Antonio & Morgan. Possibly McGugan & McKenna too.
    If Cloughie had been given the England job he would have won the World Cup without a few of the so called "big names" in his squad.

Wandering around the CG

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.Tricky. View Post
    Terry Wilson

Justin Fashanu

Peter Ward

Didn't think Wilson was too bad.

Stick Ian Wallace in there.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Didn't think Wilson was too bad.

Stick Ian Wallace in there.
    Huh?

There's no way our top scorer for three consecutive seasons was one of Clough's worst players. Far from it.

Wandering around the CG

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Huh?

There's no way our top scorer for three consecutive seasons was one of Clough's worst players. Far from it.
    Maybe a bit harsh of me but I didn't like him and don't recall many others did either.
    36 goals over four years isn't that good considering he signed for the then European Champions.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Maybe a bit harsh of me but I didn't like him and don't recall many others did either.
    36 goals over four years isn't that good considering he signed for the then European Champions.
    And that's partly the reason. The team didn't hit the heights of the previous few seasons, and he was one of the most expensive players in the world. Expectations amongst fans had understandably gone through the roof. It's all relative.

He's still one of the best strikers who's ever played for this club, was far better than some of the other strikers mentioned in this thread, and would be at least a class or two above any of the Fawaz strikers.

Wallace wasn't that bad but it's his price tag & the fact that he was a fucking ginger that counted against him