11 18.03%
  • Top half

36 59.02%
  • Mid table

8 13.11%
  • Survive

2 3.28%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The big rebuild-What's the target and what's needed to get there?

Default The big rebuild-What's the target and what's needed to get there?

What are people thoughts on next season? Are we expecting to aim for promotion or have a more steady rebuilding process? And how many new players (in which positions) will it take to get there.

Obviously we have no idea what budget we have to spend at this point so what are your best guesses?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: The big rebuild-What's the target and what's needed to get there?

next season we should aim for improvement and top half

If writing the top half come January then I'd be delighted. We can then reasses.

I don't post much on here these days, due to the fact that I put my head above the parapet to help create our Nottingham Forest Supporters Trust.

But if we get into The playoffs next season and lose 7-2 on aggregate, we've still had a fantastic season.

Impressive member

Let's just try to reverse the decline of the last half-decade. Mid table, playing attractive football, will suit me fine.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

At the start of every season the target must be to win every game and finish top of the league; if that is not your mental target then you are a lost cause.
    What is a realistic expectation is a different matter.
    Last season the squad under performed massively; the quality in that squad was easily top 10.
    So get the current players performing and three or four quality additions then we should be top 10 or better.
    If the team gels over next season then we should be looking for really good season after next.

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Every team starts a new season with the same aims, that's promotion.

Why should we be any different?

So much comes down to luck, lack of injuries and not conceding yellow and red cards.

We should aim for the top spot, to not do so would be unprofessional.

We'll invariably end up where we deserve to be come the end of the season, but that should be as high as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Tnewton_1988 View Post
    I don't post much on here these days, due to the fact that I put my head above the parapet to help create our Nottingham Forest Supporters Trust.
    Why would that stop you posting on LTLF?

Elliott, who seems to be the Trust's current de-facto secretary, posts on here frequently. We even have a thread for updates from the Trust.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Left Winger

Anyway, back to matters at hand.

I would be happy with mid table, and extremely happy if we crept into the Top Half, given as it is the Forest squad requires some serious re-balancing to shift out some of the chaff, and bring in some more quality, especially in Midfield.

Should be aiming for a top six finish, less red cards and less injuries.

Rose-Coloured Boy

20th place or higher and more than 51 points

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    20th place or higher and more than 51 points
    Nowt like setting the bar high?

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Anyway, back to matters at hand.

I would be happy with mid table, and extremely happy if we crept into the Top Half, given as it is the Forest squad requires some serious re-balancing to shift out some of the chaff, and bring in some more quality, especially in Midfield.
    I bet Marinakis wont be!
    On the down side:
    There are 3 teams coning down from the PL, each with a King's Ransom in parachute payments.
    Norwich and Aston Villa are there with there own pots of gold.
    Of the three newly promoted sides, at least one is likely to be challenging for a top 6 place.
    One positive side, Sunderland have a knob-head manager, Boro' have a fear of scoring goals, and Hull are chock-bang full of poor PL players who might just be ok in the Championship.
    We have Warburton already stabilising the ship and committed to playing the sort of football we believe is the Forest Way.
    We have a new owner who is experienced in owning a successful team already, and who has so far put in place a good structure, tried to re-engage with the fans, and who was key in the recruitment of the aforementioned Mark Warburton.
    What is uncertain at the moment is to what extent can the Marinakis money-bags be deployed without plunging the Reds back into FFP Embargo territory.
    So, while I do not wish to see any prize playing assets sold, there is a clear business case for profitable sales to take place, with the proceeds being made available to re-invest in the areas we are currently lacking.
    I am looking forward to the new season immensely!
    My prediction for how things progress is that we make a bit of a faltering start - win a couple, lose a couple, draw a few, but as the new players bed down, and the positive work begins to become second nature to the squad, I expect a gradual improvement from the end of September until Christmas.
    Then after Christmas I predict we will embark on a strong run of good results that take us into the top 6.
    With so many external factors, and so much money at stake not a single person attaching to any Championship club can say with confidence that their team will finish Top 1 or 2...
    But I think we could be pushing for automatic promotion, if the wind blows in Forest's favour.
    And as I opened this post, in response to Chris, I don't think Mr Marinakis will accept anything less.
    As the man said at interview: "I don't make promises; I deliver!".

There's around 8-12 teams who are settled, rich or both, all of whom have more realistic ambitions for promotion than us next year.

I'd be happy if we're competitive against those teams, well away from relegation, whilst blooding more youngsters, reducing the squad size and playing some decent football.

That'll do for the first year under MW. After that we might want to push the boat out a bit further and ask for a top six battle.

Proud father of the :whoosh:

Rose-Coloured Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    Nowt like setting the bar high?

Next season will be, and should be, a year of consolidation. I don't want to set the bar at promotion, playoffs or even top half of the table because we only narrowly avoided relegation on goal difference and have fallen behind many of our peers in terms of squad quality and revenue so it would be self-defeating.

Fawaz's five years have made us a lower level Championship side, on the same level as teams like Burton Albion, and how high would you set their bar next season?

So no, I'm not setting the bar high. I'm setting it at a reasonable level and I hope Marinakis, McParland and Warburton are doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    There's around 8-12 teams who are settled, rich or both, all of whom have more realistic ambitions for promotion than us next year.

I'd be happy if we're competitive against those teams, well away from relegation, whilst blooding more youngsters, reducing the squad size and playing some decent football.

That'll do for the first year under MW. After that we might want to push the boat out a bit further and ask for a top six battle.
    Your reasoning is impeccable.
    It is this competitiveness that makes the Championship such an interesting, challenging and competitive league.
    However, I think in Forest we have a sleeping giant.
    Like Smaug, asleep on the jewels and gold and trinkets, Forest have lazily opened one eye... COME ON YOU REDS

We have the core of a very good team. We blew away a number of 'top' clubs at home. We were in the lead for (what was it?) 11/13 games and failed to win any of them. We had a gung-ho attitude to defending. It all depends on getting two/three good signings; a midfield 'enforcer' is essential. A replacement for Smith if he struggles to dominate his area. An exceptional centre half would be nice.

Then we need some luck. Lets hope Traore and Carayol can stay fit - they're quality. So what is it? We could get automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post

How many of the top 7 did we beat at home this season. Consolidating and having a good go at reaching the play offs would be a sign that we're moving in the right direction- I don't think promotion would be good as we would probably come straight back down, but create a solid spine of 7 or 8 players pushing for play offs followed by adding the necessary 3 or 4 at the end of next season will lead to a return to the land of milk and honey before the end of the decade...just!!

Rose-Coloured Boy

The table never lies and we scored the same amount of points as a club that got relegated.

Staying in the Championship with a view to pushing on the season after next should be the only goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    The table never lies and we scored the same amount of points as a club that got relegated.

Staying in the Championship with a view to pushing on the season after next should be the only goal.
    But we've stayed in the Championship this year, so why aren't we pushing on next?

I think you have to set high standards. How do you motivate players down the line when you've been aiming for mid table next season.

We should aim to win every game. The integrity of the league depends on it.

Leeds 13th Reading 17th Huddersfield 19th Fulham 20th, 2016 Final standings.All finished in the top 7 2017.Why can't Nottingham Forest do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Why would that stop you posting on LTLF?

Elliott, who seems to be the Trust's current de-facto secretary, posts on here frequently. We even have a thread for updates from the Trust.
    I mean at the time when it was first discussed, before we had an interim board. Elliott and co have done a fantastic job since the interim board was formed.

Midtable with a foundation to push on the following season should be our aim. Important that we try to play attractive football and introduce players from the academy into the first team if possible.

At the bare minimum we need to sign a left back, a midfield general, a creative midfielder and a tricky winger. As this is a rebuilding season, these signings need to be permanent signings, not loan signings (as signing players who won't be with us the following season would be pointless and is short term thinking).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    I bet Marinakis wont be!
    I'm not so sure. Initially, I predicted that he will push for quick promotion, because that would make sense business-wise. Given the FFP restrictions, Warburton's insistence on them, and EM's first declarations (with the emphasis more on building than in succeding), my first guess may very well be wrong.

In any case, we will know after the end of the transfer season. If he makes a lot of money available to Warburton, then he will probably not be happy with mid-table.

I applaud the fact that most of you are cautious and feel the dangers of non-realistic optimism, that's what I would do in your place, but I'm an outsider, so I'm not bound by the same restrictions. :P

Rose-Coloured Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    But we've stayed in the Championship this year, so why aren't we pushing on next?

I think you have to set high standards. How do you motivate players down the line when you've been aiming for mid table next season.

We should aim to win every game. The integrity of the league depends on it.

Oh absolutely, but we've sacked far too many managers in recent years as a result of the club and the fans setting unrealistic expectations and I don't want that to happen with Marinakis and Warburton.

By accepting that 20th place and 52 points would be an improvement we free ourselves from the burden of expectation, which might allow the team to achieve a far better result than that.