Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1215

Thread: OLYMPIAKOS NEWS

Default Re: OLYMPIAKOS NEWS

If you think this will be a weird football summer for Forest, you should see the summer we're having. Training has resumed, and there are plans (somewhat optimistic ones) to finish the season properly.

We also have to play the second leg of the Europa League match against Wolves, scheduled for August 6. This causes a thorny issue for UEFA, however. Whether our domestic league continues or not, we'll be the champions, which means that we have to play in the Champions League qualifiers, which are scheduled by UEFA for mid-August. But UEFA has to factor in the possibility that we qualify over Wolves (the first match ended 1-1); if we do, the quarter-finals of the Europa League are scheduled for August 10 and 13, the semi-finals for August 17 and 20, and the final for August 27.

In other words, UEFA are praying that Wolves eliminates us.

In any case (and assuming of course that all goes well with the pandemic), we'll be playing non-stop from June 2020 (when the Greek league is scheduled to resume), to late spring 2021, both domestically and in Europe, without any sort of summer pre-season. I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of our fitness coach, who has to plan for all that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

First home game of the play offs (the title is effectively ours, especially after the away win against PAOK in the first play off match). Given that there are no spectators, we had a huge printout of them and continuous chants from the speakers.

It seems to have worked. We're thrashing the opponent 3-0 in half-time.

Watch is the transfer front (in and out) looking like for you guys GBG ?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    Watch is the transfer front (in and out) looking like for you guys GBG ?
    The in mostly depends on the out. If no one is sold, we are only looking for a top class winger; nothing else. We're not even interested in offloading unwanted players: there are basically no such players, except a couple whose contracts end anyway. But there is interest and speculation that there will be considerable offers for our goalkeeper, right back, three center-backs, and one of the midfielders. Until all this is figured out, we will not know what we need.

In the meantime, we're bying youngsters and wait for the brief summer pre-season to test several loanees. One in particular is an interesting case, 21-year-old Serbian winger Nikola Čumić. We bought him in January from Radnicki Nis, where we left him on loan. He's had a spectacular second round: in the last 14 matches he has scored 13 goals and given 3 assists. OK, I know the Serbian league is not particularly competitive, but still. He also captains his team, which is 5th in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    The in mostly depends on the out. If no one is sold, we are only looking for a top class winger; nothing else. We're not even interested in offloading unwanted players: there are basically no such players, except a couple whose contracts end anyway. But there is interest and speculation that there will be considerable offers for our goalkeeper, right back, three center-backs, and one of the midfielders. Until all this is figured out, we will not know what we need.

In the meantime, we're bying youngsters and wait for the brief summer pre-season to test several loanees. One in particular is an interesting case, 21-year-old Serbian winger Nikola Čumić. We bought him in January from Radnicki Nis, where we left him on loan. He's had a spectacular second round: in the last 14 matches he has scored 13 goals and given 3 assists. OK, I know the Serbian league is not particularly competitive, but still. He also captains his team, which is 5th in the league.
    Interesting. So it is a bit of a waiting game. How is your transfer window working ? I see France are open for transfers between their own clubs and then they will have one to join in with the major leagues.

I really do like your left-back Tsimikas. Positive you guys will keep him ? There aren't loads of talented left-backs around. If guys like Alex Telles and Grimaldo move from Porto/Benfica there could be a domino effect ?

It isn't where you start (you just got to get that opportunity), it is where you end up. Serbia/Croatia/Scandinavia. There is loads of talent with clubs like Red Star Belgrade, Dinamo Zagreb, Malmo, Copenhagen, Nordsjaelland and Norway is flying with talent production at the moment.

Been reading up on your Greek outfield talents. These your standout 3 ? Really think your club with the help of the other 3 can get Greek national team competing again. Only have to look at Portugal and Netherlands how they so reliant on a handful of clubs producing talent.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.za/vasi...spieler/554398

https://www.transfermarkt.com/gianni...spieler/636739

https://www.transfermarkt.com/christ...spieler/665392

Last edited by BryanRoy; 16-06-20 at 10:58.

I really do like your left-back Tsimikas. Positive you guys will keep him ? There aren't loads of talented left-backs around. If guys like Alex Telles and Grimaldo move from Porto/Benfica there could be a domino effect ?
    No, I just forgot to mention him. He is, of course, the one most likely to make a big transfer. His improvement has been phenomenal in the last two seasons. He began as a clumsy and irresponsible young left back and he's turned into one of the best left backs in Europe, excellent both in defensive and in offensive duties, and the epitome of reliability. We have supposedly turned down offers of up to 15m, and remain adamant that we're not even entering discussions if the initial offer is not more than 20m.

Been reading up on your Greek outfield talents. These your standout 3 ? Really think your club with the help of the other 3 can get Greek national team competing again. Only have to look at Portugal and Netherlands how they so reliant on a handful of clubs producing talent.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.za/vasi...spieler/554398

https://www.transfermarkt.com/gianni...spieler/636739

https://www.transfermarkt.com/christ...spieler/665392
    Sourlis is a talent that may get lost due to not having a proper mentality. He started out as a winger, participated in pre-season with the first team as a defensive midfielder, plays as a no. 10 for the U19, but has not progressed much and there are rumours of bad off-field life.

I don't know Karakoutis very well; we stole him from PAOK this season but I haven't seen much of him.

Liatsos is the most promising talent, one of two or three players consistently on the watch list of scouters for major European clubs. He will participate in pre-season. Good dribbler, plays both out wide and in a more central role.

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post

You'll do well to keep those 2 monsters at center back who played when you beat the gunners, they put on a real display that match.

Quote Originally Posted by nffclsr View Post
    You'll do well to keep those 2 monsters at center back who played when you beat the gunners, they put on a real display that match.
    They'll both probably stay, for different reasons. Pape Abou Cissé had a weird season, since he lost half of it due to uncofirmed illness (the rumour is that it was tuberulosis). Ousseynou Ba has a price tag only British clubs can afford and I don't think he will get a permit in the UK since he was only called to his national team this season.

These two are like those stories one hears about twins with completely different characters. They are both Senegalese, they're the same age and height, they both have excellent athletic abilities (very strong, agile, fast for their height, great stamina, not bad with the ball at their feet), they both learned football in an academy in Senegal partly owned by an agent who was a former DoF of ours, we bought both of them from Ajaccio for peanuts (300K), they are now both worth well in excess of 15m.

But they are also very different players. Cissé is a force of nature, playing with incredible passion; he often has to correct mistakes of his produced by this passion. Ba has a more relaxed style, he is more concentrated, more composed and makes less mistakes. Given that he's only had basically two years of professional football (he had problems with his permit in France) and he learns very quickly, I am certain that he will prove to be our record sale next season.

Red til I'm dead

Are they keeping Semedo out if the team? He looks brilliant to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seen lots of players linked to Oly recently.

Pione Sisto - Celta Vigo
    Mohamed Elneny - Arsenal
    Eduardo - Sporting
    Henry Onyekuru - Monaco
    Nacer Chadli - Monaco
    Alexandros Nikolais - PAS Giannina
    Uros Racic - Valencia

And more...

I'm guessing it's a case of planning for potential departures, bolstering the team for European competition and meaningless rumours

Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    Are they keeping Semedo out if the team? He looks brilliant to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He is; Ba and Semedo are starters, Cissé is first choice from the bench, and there's also the veteran Papadopoulos who has been very good whenever he had to play. We've been fortunate to have four very good CBs this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    I'm guessing it's a case of planning for potential departures, bolstering the team for European competition and meaningless rumours
    Mostly that last bit; the Greek press notoriously reports on every single player routinely scouted as an imminent signing

I noticed that Alexandros Voilis is loaned out to the Portuguese side Casa Pia, the same lower league side Forest loaned Fornah to as well this season.

Do you know if there is a formal link between Olympiakos and Casa Pia traditionally?

Quote Originally Posted by nffclsr View Post
    I noticed that Alexandros Voilis is loaned out to the Portuguese side Casa Pia, the same lower league side Forest loaned Fornah to as well this season.

Do you know if there is a formal link between Olympiakos and Casa Pia traditionally?
    As I said in Fornah's topic, Casa Pia's manager was our youth coach. I don't think there are administrative links between the two clubs.