Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 260

Thread: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

      
  1. #51
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    12,758

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    I think Norwich and Villa will get their acts together this coming season.

    Totally open minded with our lot but the optimism usually wanes come the end of October.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #52
    Rose-Coloured Boy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    7,683

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    I think it'll go the way it usually does - one relegated Premier League team will be straight back up via the autos, along with a Championship team who've been knocking on the door for a few seasons.

    As for the other two ex PL clubs, one will be in and around the playoffs, and the other will get off to a shocker but improve and finish mid-table.

    So I'd say there'll be at least 3 playoff places open to any clubs that have a decent squad and a good manager that can push on from the previous season.

    As far as Forest are concerned I think a mid-table, possibly top-half finish is likely. As long as we don't let our expectations run away with us and sack Warburton because he goes on a bit of bad run, I'll be happy.


  4. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,471

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    I think it'll go the way it usually does - one relegated Premier League team will be straight back up via the autos, along with a Championship team who've been knocking on the door for a few seasons.

    As for the other two ex PL clubs, one will be in and around the playoffs, and the other will get off to a shocker but improve and finish mid-table.

    So I'd say there'll be at least 3 playoff places open to any clubs that have a decent squad and a good manager that can push on from the previous season.

    As far as Forest are concerned I think a mid-table, possibly top-half finish is likely. As long as we don't let our expectations run away with us and sack Warburton because he goes on a bit of bad run, I'll be happy.



    Yea and the way we will be playing we will go on a bad run at some point. We will concede to good teams on the break

    Fans just need to hold there nerve as I'm sure marinakos will


  5. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,085

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Half of Sunderland's squad are experienced big name pros who are getting on a bit (Defoe, O'Shea, Pienaar, Larsson, Lescott) and they could all easily leave and they'll have nothing but kids and a few foreign players. It looks like one hell of a job overhauling that squad.
    With the exception of Defoe who will definitely leave, the others are nothing to worry about. If they were any good they'd have finished higher up the league


  6. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,085

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    I agree with you there, Sunderland will throw massive money at a big name striker. Hope its McCormack rather than Britt tho
    No chance..


  7. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,085

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    The relegated clubs all have sacked/resigned managers. That'll mean a new management team and wholesale changes to playing staff... Boro are the only ones I can see really challenging.

    I see no reason why Forest can't do a Leeds or a Hudders/Reading but I appreciate it's a slim chance. Villa will be the team to beat for me... Fulham will find their to players leave..
    Norwich will be much better as well..

    Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk


  8. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    7,074

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    The thing about losing players for big money I am a little less concerned as I have been under FAH. You know the club b will make a good effort to properly replace players under Warburton & Marinakis. The Greek fellow that knew pretty much everything last summer said Marinakis was unhappy with the Burke sale, so I don't think he will be that quick to want to sell, or maybe it was more to do with the staff he put in place getting overruled. Either way, both are positive signs?


  9. #58
    The Ambassador
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Nottingham, UK.
    Posts
    558

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Look at Huddersfield last season. This season they started very well, never really faded away, and have just been promoted.

    With fresh optimism. Hopefully a few new signings and a good start, why not us?


  10. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Old Sydney Town
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Look at Huddersfield last season. This season they started very well, never really faded away, and have just been promoted.

    With fresh optimism. Hopefully a few new signings and a good start, why not us?
    They faded away at the end of the season, especially at the city ground


  11. #60
    The Ambassador
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Nottingham, UK.
    Posts
    558

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryde Red View Post
    They faded away at the end of the season, especially at the city ground
    Still stayed in the top 6 though? I thought they'd totally fade away and finish midtable.

    At one point last season people were talking about play-offs when we were 5/6 points off and we were shit?

    See what signings we make first but a steady season, mid table ish, with a strong finish and who knows?


  12. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Asply
    Posts
    8,074

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    glad that this thread is up ive given some thought to this aswell

    I think the 3 that are coming down are the worst group of 3 teams to get relegated EVER

    Sunderland are a mess on and off the pitch
    Middlesborough are poor also but who invested heavily prior to the season and in January
    Hull who didn't have too much of a playing staff turnaround which makes them, in my eyes the favourites out the 3 to return

    The think I believe it makes it hard for those teams that get relegated to compete the year after is players still at the club on premier league wages and then those players that are brought whilst in the championship on championship wages. until clubs sort their wages out which takes 2/3 years then they struggle. When burnely were promoted, relegated and promoted again it was due their confidence in the players that got them promoted. they didn't go crazy in the market and those players that subsequently got relegated helped them win promoted for a second time.

    The likes of Norwich, Fulham, Sheff Wed, Reading are my favorites an outside bet of Birmingham and cardiff


  13. #62

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    It`s our year people !


    Up: Forest, Villa and Hull

    Down: Burton , Millwank and Barnsley


  14. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    ROBIN HOOD CITY
    Posts
    2,315

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    I'll go for a very ambitious 3 of Forest, Fulham and Sheff Weds to go up.

    Millwall, Bristol and Wolves to go down.

    Might have a few quid on this!


  15. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,588

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Looks the most wide open betting wise in years.
    To win the Championship 17/18,
    Aston Villa 8/1
    Fulham 9/1
    Middlesbrough 10/1
    Norwich 10/1
    Sheffield Weds 10/1
    Derby 12/1
    Hull 12/1
    Wolves 12/1
    Sunderland 14/1
    Leeds 16/1
    Birmingham 20/1
    Reading 20/1
    Brentford 25/1
    Sheffield Utd 25/1
    Bristol City 28/1
    Nottingham Forest 28/1
    Cardiff 33/1
    QPR 33/1
    Bolton 50/1
    Ipswich 50/1
    Millwall 50/1
    Preston 50/1
    Barnsley 80/1
    Burton 80/1

    Sky bet.


  16. #65
    Rose-Coloured Boy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    7,683

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Looks the most wide open betting wise in years.
    To win the Championship 17/18,
    Aston Villa 8/1
    Fulham 9/1
    Middlesbrough 10/1
    Norwich 10/1
    Sheffield Weds 10/1
    Derby 12/1
    Hull 12/1
    Wolves 12/1
    Sunderland 14/1
    Leeds 16/1
    Birmingham 20/1
    Reading 20/1
    Brentford 25/1
    Sheffield Utd 25/1
    Bristol City 28/1
    Nottingham Forest 28/1
    Cardiff 33/1
    QPR 33/1
    Bolton 50/1
    Ipswich 50/1
    Millwall 50/1
    Preston 50/1
    Barnsley 80/1
    Burton 80/1

    Sky bet.
    Hull 12/1 ?!?!

    I'm having some money on that deffo


  17. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,104

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Really depends on who Hull appoint as manager. I'm hearing names like Nigel Adkins and Paul Lambert (which might be why he quit Wolves?) being linked with the job.

    Although both managers have experience of promotion from the Championship, it's been a while since they achieved that and both have just sort of been plodding along so I don't think they'd be the most convincing or exciting of appointments.

    If Hull still had Steve Bruce, I'd really fancy them. That's why I think Villa go up.


  18. #67
    Rose-Coloured Boy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    7,683

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy22 View Post
    Really depends on who Hull appoint as manager. I'm hearing names like Nigel Adkins and Paul Lambert (which might be why he quit Wolves?) being linked with the job.

    Although both managers have experience of promotion from the Championship, it's been a while since they achieved that and both have just sort of been plodding along so I don't think they'd be the most convincing or exciting of appointments.

    If Hull still had Steve Bruce, I'd really fancy them. That's why I think Villa go up.
    Fair points. I think Wednesday might be worth a few quid as well, could be next season's Brighton.


  19. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    935

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Can't see how they have Sheffield United and Birmingham shorter odds than us. I'd fancy Villa to come good if it wasn't for Lansbury stinking out their midfield. But it does look wide open.


  20. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SHAQUE D'AMOUR
    Posts
    8,395

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    At this stage the odds are just nonsense. we will have a much better idea when the transfer business is done.

    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  21. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,104

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Relegation is a tough one to call too.


  22. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Old Sydney Town
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    When you look at this seasons table there is only 4 points between Ipswich in 16th and Blackburn in 22nd, 7 points from Barnsley in 14th even, so in my mind we weren't the only shit team this year. With all the lower division teams performances closer matched like this year, next year could still see us in a relegation fight if we are considering a mid table finish being ok.

    One of our major failings this year that led to a shitload of dropped points in away games was that dodgy Croation ? keeper that couldn't keep a cat in at night!


  23. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wits' End
    Posts
    6,075

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Looks the most wide open betting wise in years.
    To win the Championship 17/18,

    Nottingham Forest 1/10
    Aston Villa 8/1
    Fulham 9/1
    Middlesbrough 10/1
    Norwich 10/1
    Sheffield Weds 10/1
    Derby 12/1
    Hull 12/1
    Wolves 12/1
    Sunderland 14/1
    Leeds 16/1
    Birmingham 20/1
    Reading 20/1
    Brentford 25/1
    Sheffield Utd 25/1
    Bristol City 28/1
    Cardiff 33/1
    QPR 33/1
    Bolton 50/1
    Ipswich 50/1
    Millwall 50/1
    Preston 50/1
    Barnsley 80/1
    Burton 80/1

    Sky bet.
    Amended in light of Nicholas Randall QCs opening letter.


  24. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,237

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Forest didn't show anything like enough guile away from home last season. The number of times we came away from a 'routine' away defeat was soul-destroying. It wasn't as if we were necessarily massively worse than the opposition. Norwich hammered us on a day that their every long shot rocketed into our net. Newcastle away was probably going our way until the 4th official/referee got a grip of us. Most other games showed that our basic tactics were poor. Don't underestimate Montanier's team juggling or our injuries. Keep Britt, get in two effective midfielders, 'rest' our youngsters now and again to keep them hungry and things will improve no end. It will be a very interesting season. Buy those season tickets, people of Nottingham.


  25. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryde Red View Post
    When you look at this seasons table there is only 4 points between Ipswich in 16th and Blackburn in 22nd, 7 points from Barnsley in 14th even, so in my mind we weren't the only shit team this year. With all the lower division teams performances closer matched like this year, next year could still see us in a relegation fight if we are considering a mid table finish being ok.

    One of our major failings this year that led to a shitload of dropped points in away games was that dodgy Croation ? keeper that couldn't keep a cat in at night!
    I think you'll find that dodgy keeper is Serbian!! :-) But I agree with your point! One of the main reasons our away form was so poor was that we don't really have a midfield general, someone who will kick the players up the arse!


  26. #75
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    59,070

    Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by RRRREDUN View Post
    Forest didn't show anything like enough guile away from home last season. The number of times we came away from a 'routine' away defeat was soul-destroying. It wasn't as if we were necessarily massively worse than the opposition. Norwich hammered us on a day that their every long shot rocketed into our net. Newcastle away was probably going our way until the 4th official/referee got a grip of us. Most other games showed that our basic tactics were poor. Don't underestimate Montanier's team juggling or our injuries. Keep Britt, get in two effective midfielders, 'rest' our youngsters now and again to keep them hungry and things will improve no end. It will be a very interesting season. Buy those season tickets, people of Nottingham.
    I'm even tempted to renew my season ticket, which is completely impractical as I now live in Germany!

    "It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •