Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

Default Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

Not been as excited about a Championship season as I am about next season, and not just because Forest have been taken over.

It'll have a real mix of quality players, interesting managers and top class derbies that the Premier League will miss, who only have London and Manchester to rely on for their rivalries now.

First of all, these sturdy English bosses who have promotion experience:

Ian Holloway
    Mick McCarthy
    Neil Warnock
    Harry Redknapp
    Steve Bruce

Not only that, but they're characters too. provided they remain in their jobs for a while, they'll give us plenty of value. The Championship is better with them all around in my opinion (less so Bruce).

English and with a point to prove?

Mark Warburton
    Nigel Clough
    Lee Johnson
    Gary Rowett
    Garry Monk

Plus we've got some brilliant foreign managers; Wagner/Stam, Carvalhal, Jokanovic.

Don't know what to expect from the relegated teams. Will Sunderland do a Villa? If Boro and Hull get their act together, they're surely favourites.

Some good footballing sides; whoever loses the play-off final, Fulham, Leeds, Brentford and probably Forest with a proper summer to be Warburtonised.

Think one of Neil Warnock or Harry Redknapp will gain promotion next season, I can just see it. The likes of Villa, Derby and Norwich surely won't have such horrid seasons this time around? Plus we will get a surprise package... Sheff Utd? Preston? Brentford? Barnsley?

Sheff Wed v Sheff Utd
    Forest v Derby
    Leeds v Yorkshire
    Ipswich v Norwich
    Birmingham v Villa
    Sunderland v Boro

All decent derbies, all will spice things up. Obviously too early to predict anything with certainty, but we'll still be none the wiser come August anyway.

Going to be the most fascinating year for a while...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

It's so tough to predict next season.

There isn't any clear teams that should get promoted like Newcastle this year. The three going down I think will get playoffs at a maximum. Then you have the very strong Sheffield United coming up. Unless I have missed one there isn't really a team you would expect to get relegated like Rotherham last year.

It will be wide open.

It'll be interesting to see which teams have to have a reset year as well and sell because of FFP, Villa seem likely to sell to buy, same with Derby, Wednesday must be pushing it as well.

It's always a bloody crap shoot. I could honestly see us finishing top 6 and I could also see bottom 6. You never know with the Championship.

Default Championship 2017/18 - how wide open?

I agree – it's going to be a really strong, competitive league with plenty of good sides in it. I was hoping Fulham or possibly Sheffield Wednesday would go up by the play-offs because I think both are really good sides and will worry us more next season than either Huddersfield or Reading would've done.

Genuinely looking forward to next season already – sadly August seems such a long way away at the moment…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left Winger

It should be a more even division with the absence of Newcastle and their parachute money, although the three sides coming down should be an immediate threat, especially Sunderland, who might fancy themselves as immediate returners to the Premier League.

Some good derbies about too, but as per usual with the Championship, the teams that get promoted will be those who are thereabouts come the new year, and then kick on after the January window.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Harry Redknapp is a slimy wanker, I feel as though I need to shower every time I hear his voice

Half of Sunderland's squad are experienced big name pros who are getting on a bit (Defoe, O'Shea, Pienaar, Larsson, Lescott) and they could all easily leave and they'll have nothing but kids and a few foreign players. It looks like one hell of a job overhauling that squad.

Marinakis has started off with some cautious soundbites, but lets not forget the owner & management team at Forest now are all proven winners.

Whilst the fans may see one place next season as acceptable progress, I doubt the owners or management team will concur.

If MW gets what he wants going into the season, I'll bet the brief will be top 10 minimum. Particularly given the open nature of the league next season.

I don't think we should expect too much. EM has said FFP will loom large in his mind so, though Warbo will get money, it won't be such a large amount. Decent football and a few good wins will make a difference, though.

Now that Derby have got Martin back, they're gonna walk this league... that's what them sheepie fans are sayin'.

SkyBet odds for promotion next season (early days I know).......

Aston Villa 11/4
    Fulham 3
    Middlesbrough 10/3
    Norwich 10/3
    Derby 7/2
    Hull 7/2
    Sunderland 9/2
    Wolves 9/2
    Leeds 5
    Birmingham 11/2
    Sheffield Utd 11/2
    Brentford 6
    Bristol City 7
    Cardiff 9
    Nottm Forest 9
    QPR 9
    Bolton 14
    Ipswich 14
    Preston 14
    Barnsley 25
    Burton 25

Devils favourite advocate

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Now that Derby have got Martin back, they're gonna walk this league... that's what them sheepie fans are sayin'.
    Hes a rowett type player ill give them that...

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Not that type of player

Villa are strong favourites imo, but other than them I agree there's a host of clubs who can compete for the top six if they get it right. I have a feeling Boro will be strong contenders, and fully expect Derby to grind their way into the top six

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Quote Originally Posted by WatnallRed View Post
    SkyBet odds for promotion next season (early days I know).......

Aston Villa 11/4
    Fulham 3
    Middlesbrough 10/3
    Norwich 10/3
    Derby 7/2
    Hull 7/2
    Sunderland 9/2
    Wolves 9/2
    Leeds 5
    Birmingham 11/2
    Sheffield Utd 11/2
    Brentford 6
    Bristol City 7
    Cardiff 9
    Nottm Forest 9
    QPR 9
    Bolton 14
    Ipswich 14
    Preston 14
    Barnsley 25
    Burton 25
    Gunna likely have a daft few quid on Sheff U. Wilder has done a great job there, and there's a real feel-good factor about the place.

Will hang on first to see what the ins/outs are pre-season, but they've really pushed forward this last year.

Last edited by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery; 19-05-17 at 10:04.
    “All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Too School for Cool

Hull and Sunderland will probably fill the automatic sports.

As for us, I think it'll be an unspectacular mid-table finish, which is fine by me. People shouldn't get carried away - there's a lot of squad rebuilding to do and we can't expect to have a top six squad after one summer.

Left Winger

Martin will spend half the season banned under the new "diving" rules.

Not that type of player

Sunderland seem in disarray. They look like the classic 'will take a season or two to stabilise', a bit like when Villa came down.

Fulham shold do well if they hang onto their set up and most of their squad, but the loss of parachute payments may mean they have to downsize.

i would have a few quid on wolves, if lambert stays. think sunderland will need a complete overhaul there squad reminds me of when wolves went from prem straight to league 1. boro have bamford whose proven in this league and villa are settled and will be playing as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post

As for us, I think it'll be an unspectacular mid-table finish, which is fine by me. People shouldn't get carried away - there's a lot of squad rebuilding to do and we can't expect to have a top six squad after one summer.
    we have done it before under Davies....

but do agree think he will bring through more youth rather than spend heavily

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Gunna likely have a daft few quid on Sheff U. Wilder has done a great job there, and there's a real feel-good factor about the place.

Will hang on first to see what the ins/outs are pre-season, but they've really pushed forward this last year.
    Agree with this, people underestimate momentum.

They cruised League One last season and if people are honest they were probably in that league for a few too many years so they are well prepared to come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    For the record, I think both these clubs will finish bang in mid-table.

It will take years to sort Sunderland's shocking squad out and Hull don't seem to have an owner that likes them very much.

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by Harry1982 View Post
    we have done it before under Davies....

but do agree think he will bring through more youth rather than spend heavily
    You'd expect players like Worral, Smith, Cash and whoever else to all be a little bit better next season for the experience they've now gained.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Hull and Middlesbrough could be up there, if they have decent managers. Hull under Silva have been in good form at home, but I can't see Silva staying. If Boro appointed a good manager and found a goalscorer they have plenty of quality. I can't see Villa being as poor as this season again - don't be distracted about them wanting to sell players, it's the crap players they are trying to get rid of (sound familiar?).

I still think Sunderland will come at us all guns a blazing for Britt once they lose Defoe (to I assume, West Ham).

Either way I think those recently relegated teams despite being in the same league as us Championship regulars still have the larger advantage and biggest attraction for players to move to.