Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Hindley (tank)

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Default Re: Peter Hindley (tank)

Quote Originally Posted by duncanmckenzie View Post
    When the shit hit the fan at St James Park in 1974 it wouldn't have surprised me if Sammy had gotten involved
    He decked a couple of pitch-invaders that afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    I've got somewhere in my house in the UK a newspaper from the late 60s with a big team photo of Forest in it that my Uncle gave me when I started to go with him to watch Forest in the late 1970s.

On it, the "Physio" is wearing what can only be described as a Butcher's shop-coat.

And he looks like a Butcher too.
    That would be Bob Davies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    He looks like the kind of bloke who was a company NCO in the Army before joining Civvy Street, and he has the kind of look that tells you if you trifled with him, he could disembowel you with a spoon.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

He decked a couple of pitch-invaders that afternoon.

Each season in the 1960s, Typhoo tea put tokens on their tea packets (proper leaf tea then, none of this tea-bag dust shit).
    When you collected the requisite number you sent them off and could get an A4 colour photo of your team.
    Bob Davies appeared in several of those shots - always wearing the butcher's coat.
    Grummitt, Wilson, Hindley, Hennessey, McKinlay, Whitefoot, Crowe, Addison, Wignall, Vowden, Le Flem.... names to bring a tear to the eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Each season in the 1960s, Typhoo tea put tokens on their tea packets (proper leaf tea then, none of this tea-bag dust shit).
    When you collected the requisite number you sent them off and could get an A4 colour photo of your team.
    Bob Davies appeared in several of those shots - always wearing the butcher's coat.
    Grummitt, Wilson, Hindley, Hennessey, McKinlay, Whitefoot, Crowe, Addison, Wignall, Vowden, Le Flem.... names to bring a tear to the eye!
    I had that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    I had that one.
    Me too!

I used to go and watch Forest training every Friday in those days and got to know Bob Davies. I loaned him a scrapbook that had cuttings in it from the 1920s. I never saw it again but it doesn't bother me. It had gone to a good home. Is it just old man talking but am I alone in thinking that the 66/67 team was as exciting to watch as the European Cup winning teams. To me Terry Hennessey was ahead of his time. He was like Beckenbauer before Beckenbauer, a ball playing centre back. Rant over

At least when we had those team photos back then it lasted a couple of seasons at least. These days the squad changes so much I struggle to keep up.

When Ty-Phoo did the individual player photos (Hennessy in our case) and Baxter (but in Sunderland kit), once you got the full set, we kept ordering the George Best one to give to the girls in our school. My missus still thinks Best was a "hunk".

Quote Originally Posted by duncanmckenzie View Post
    Is it just old man talking but am I alone in thinking that the 66/67 team was as exciting to watch as the European Cup winning teams.......
    That side was certainly exciting to watch, but in a very different way to the European Cup-winning sides. Looking after the ball was BC's mantra, whereas were very direct under Johnny Carey, but effective nonetheless.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 24-05-17 at 09:48.

There is a danger in being nostalgic and thinking the teams of the the 1960s were the best.
    Fo me, from my first match aged 8 in 1962, I was hooked.
    I moved away from Nottingham in 1976, and was unable to get to matches - both financial and geographical constraints prevailed.
    So, despite following the team's progress in the media, and the occasional match I was able to attend, I don't have any deep personal memories of the games and players in the flesh.
    That colours my nostalgia, making it a shade of rosey-red!
    However, comparing players that graced our Club during the 1960s and 1970s to their peers in other clubs at that time, we were really blessed and that is what makes those teams so memorable to me.
    One of my early remembrances is of Tank flying down the wing from his full-back position, with the opposition in a real state, not sure how to deal with this stalwart.
    Another is of the majestic performances by Bob McKinaly - one of the last players with a genuine Corinthian spirit when he played.
    Perhaps my latest memory of those halcyon days (spot the cliches, is the privilege of seeing Trevor Francis make his debut for us, and seeing him on many occasions before his achilles injury and premature disposal.
    Also, I had the great pleasure of watching Duncan McKenzie make a monkey out of Tony Book... what a talent Duncan had... Stan Bowles on speed!!
    But my fondest memory is of Joe Baker - the Britt Assombalonga of his day.
    Lethal anywhere within sight of goal and a modest, quiet man who loved the fans and the Club.
    I hope Brian Labone is in Purgatory, and stays there for his cynical, deliberate and appalling "tackle" in the game with Everton.
    Final thought: in those great days in the mid-60s, you could set your Rolex by the regularity with which either Storey-Moore, Wignall or Baker would score within 4 minutes of the kick-off.
    It really was a fortress at the City Ground in those days.
    As I started with - the comparison can only be made to the players of the day.
    It is too difficult to try and compare then to now - now it is a totally different game, and comparisons are a bit futile (IMHO).

You speak wisely Captain. As you can guess Duncan remains my favourite player EVER to wear the garibaldi. Some years ago when Joe was a guest of honour at the club a friend of mine met him afterwards in The Falcon on Canning Circus. He showed John the scar from the Labone tackle. John asked the great man about his views on said Everton player and Joe hoped he would rot in Hell. Your mention of Tony Book makes me think you're referring to the infamous Man City Sunday afternoon cup game. I believe Willie Donachie still wakes up in cold sweats thinking about that game. Great times

The best thing about the days of Tank and the lads was...............I was young��

Just going through my old files and found this one of the big man.

........But my fondest memory is of Joe Baker - the Britt Assombalonga of his day.
    Lethal anywhere within sight of goal and a modest, quiet man who loved the fans and the Club.....

You're probably paying Britt the greatest compliment he's ever likely to receive in his entire career Captain. There's no one comparable to Joe currently playing in the British game in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    Just going through my old files and found this one of the nbig man.

We'd have won that semi-final had Joe played.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 13-06-17 at 16:32.

This is interesting, it was covered on "the brain with dr david eagleman" or whatever it was called:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nun_Study

Thighs to rival Psychos

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

Quote Originally Posted by OLDMANRED View Post
    Thighs to rival Psychos
    oi, oi!

I was there that day with my old man. First away game - we got free tickets off the owner of Grange Farm Restaurant in Toton where my Granparents used to work - family business looked after its employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryde Red View Post
    I was there that day with my old man. First away game - we got free tickets off the owner of Grange Farm Restaurant in Toton where my Granparents used to work - family business looked after its employees.
    My Dad took me that day but we had to pay.

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Anybody who went to 'Forest Legends' at the Theatre Royal on Sunday evening will know that Peter Hindley is struggling to cope with dementia. I'm far too young to remember Peter play but was touched by this story. Does anybody know whether a fundraising page has been set up or whether the club is going to publish something on the website or in a matchday programme to let fans know?

Was anyone listening to Radio Nottingham phone in tonight. Ian Storey Moore was on regarding a charity night for Tank. I didn't get the gist of it due to the other half rattling on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by OLDMANRED View Post
    Was anyone listening to Radio Nottingham phone in tonight. Ian Storey Moore was on regarding a charity night for Tank. I didn't get the gist of it due to the other half rattling on the phone
    There's a benefit night for him Phil, at the Southbank City bar in town on Thursday. It's been organised by Forest fan Andy Hallam, and ISM was publicising it.

It's a speakers' night featuring Terry Hennessy, with proceeds going towards helping Peter by funding some home improvements to try and make life easier for him and for his wife to help care for him.

It sounds as though some of his old teammates are going to be in attendance - ISM, John Barnwell, Sammy, Henry Newton, Peter Grummitt and Frank Wignall.

Although I'm unable to make this one, Andy has organised some great nights at that venue in the past, and I'm sure this one will be no different.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 13-11-17 at 20:25.

There's a benefit night for him Phil, at the Southbank City bar in town on Thursday. It's been organised by Forest fan Andy Hallam, and ISM was publicising it.

It's a speakers' night featuring Terry Hennessy, with proceeds going towards helping Peter by funding some home improvements to try and make life easier for him and for his wife to help care for him.

It sounds as though some of his old teammates are going to be in attendance - ISM, John Barnwell, Sammy, Henry Newton, Peter Grummitt and Frank Wignall.

Although I'm unable to make this one, Andy has organised some great nights at that venue in the past, and I'm sure this one will be no different.
    Should be a cracking night. Wish I could make it. Hope they raise a good amount for the big man and his family.

It's just so great to see so many of the old Forest players showing more face. Truly admirable what ISM & others are doing for old Forest players like Tank.

Be interesting to see a list of the oldest surving Forest players. But that is probably something I will have to do in my own time. Currently I'm working on trying to see how far back Forest can go with at least 1 Forest youth player in a matchday squad. I honestly think we must be up there with the longest in English football.

Doesn't like Joe Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    It's just so great to see so many of the old Forest players showing more face. Truly admirable what ISM & others are doing for old Forest players like Tank.

Be interesting to see a list of the oldest surving Forest players. But that is probably something I will have to do in my own time. Currently I'm working on trying to see how far back Forest can go with at least 1 Forest youth player in a matchday squad. I honestly think we must be up there with the longest in English football.
    Only one player left from the FA cup winning side i think

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Only one player left from the FA cup winning side i think
    Jeff Whitefoot.

But I actually think there are older players still alive.