Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Hindley (tank)

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

Default Peter Hindley (tank)

There is a sad but sympathetic piece in Post online about tanks Dimentia and how Ian Storey Moore has helped both hom and his wife through the last 10 years since tanks diagnosis, umfortunately he is now in an advanced state of this terrible condition. Some good memories of him tanking down the wing from his defensive duties along with Winnie, Serella, Cottam and Big Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Peter Hindley (tank)

Sad news. Tank as his name implies was built like a panza yet he was a speedy fecker. I remember Jimmy Greaves putting the ball past him and trying to run past him only to run right into Tanks barrel chest and ending up flying through the air and landing on his arse.
    I hope somehow ISM can relive some those halcyon days with him.
    All the best big man

Sad news indeed.

I've watched as several family members and friends have succumbed to dementia. It really does everything rob the sufferers of the ability to enjoy their senior years. As the body ages , ones brain should be able to keep its vitality. Unfortunately that too is lost to too many as we all age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Didn't Tank score a bullet header at the CG v Manure? I was around in those days. Let's hope for a cure/prevention.

That's Sad to hear
    I have fond memories sitting on my dads shoulders in the
    Trent End watching him tank down the right wing.

I remember that team too. I have a friend who has recently retired to the east coast and developed dementia. He was a keen semi pro footballer and a centre forward. The doctors are pretty convinced that his football activities have had something to do with it. Jeff Astle is another case.

Heading all those old water logged case balls....................

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Very sad news.

Pete started his career as a centre-half before converting to right-back. He really came into his own in Johnny Carey's direct, though no-less effective, side of the mid-late '60s. His wholehearted, no-nonsense defending along with his marauding runs down the right made him a big favourite amongst the fans. OMR's anecdote above describes him perfectly.

To say Tank didn't possess silky skills would be an understatement, though that didn't prevent Dave Mackay giving him a midfield role during his last season at Forest. It goes without saying that he certainly made his presence felt in there with his robust approach.

According to Wikipedia, Tank played 366 times for forest, over a period of 11 years, before moving on to Coventry City, Peterborough and Burton Albion.
    During his time at Forest Tank scored 10 goals.
    Fit, strong and a Forest man through and through.
    I saw him right from the start of his Forest career, right through to him leaving.
    One day there will be discovered a way of preventing this horrible disease.
    Sadly, it is likely to be too late for Tank.

So good to hear the memories of "tank" from the elder statesman of the forum, even though some of that era was not particularly great there are still some gems from those pre BC days. Even though things have not been good the last few years I'am sure at sometime in the future small memorable gems will resurface with the passing of time

Many years ago there was a programme on the radio about football's hard men, Bremner, Harris, Tommy Smith etc. On the one about Norman Hunter he was asked who was the hardest player he'd known. He said there was a right back for Nottingham Forest who tackled him once 50/50 tackle and Hunter said he got up in a daze but he'll never forget that tackle, hard but fair. I spoke to Peter about it at a Forest reunion and he remembered it. And he confirmed it was a fair challenge. Also remember his part in the battle of City Ground in 1967/68 against Coventry when George Curtis had his leg broken. All the best for some great memories Tank

Left Winger

It does show how football has changed when you used to have proper hard bastards like Kenny Burns, Larry Lloyd, Bremner, Hunter, "Chopper" Harris and "Tank" Hindley et al.

There isn't one player in the modern game who is as feared nowadays.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    It does show how football has changed when you used to have proper hard bastards like Kenny Burns, Larry Lloyd, Bremner, Hunter, "Chopper" Harris and "Tank" Hindley et al.

Maurice Setters, now he was evil.

I also remember watching Chopper Harris take out Tony Woodcock in full flight with a vile two footed lunge. Chelsea were 5v0 down and Harris didn't even wait for the Ref's Red Card, he just walked off. 1979 if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post

It's getting worse, not that I can remember the days you're refering to but there's nothing worse than seeing a brilliantly timed, bone shaking tackle called a foul for being 'overly aggressive'.

The reason why us old uns hold Tank and his mates in such high esteem is that they were down to earth working class lads in the main who were lucky to be blessed with a special talent.They knew it and made the most of their short career. Then they became like the rest of us again. How many of todays "stars" will revert to painting and decorating like Tank or running a paper stall like Winnie or become a prison officer like Bob McKinley or a postman like Henry Newton. Different times long ago

Robert Dennis Chapman could look after himself. I have met the former England centre forward Ray Crawford a few times and he told me the dirtiest player he played against was Ron Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by OLDMANRED View Post
    The reason why us old uns hold Tank and his mates in such high esteem is that they were down to earth working class lads in the main who were lucky to be blessed with a special talent.They knew it and made the most of their short career. Then they became like the rest of us again. How many of todays "stars" will revert to painting and decorating like Tank or running a paper stall like Winnie or become a prison officer like Bob McKinley or a postman like Henry Newton. Different times long ago
    Of course none of them would because they get paid so much now plus sponsorship deals etc. But had the gentlemen you mentioned been paid the same as what footballers are paid today, I'd guess very few of them would've gone back to day jobs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J'Psycho'C66 View Post
    Of course none of them would because they get paid so much now plus sponsorship deals etc. But had the gentlemen you mentioned been paid the same as what footballers are paid today, I'd guess very few of them would've gone back to day jobs as well.
    "Different times long ago"

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by duncanmckenzie View Post
    Robert Dennis Chapman could look after himself.......
    .....and on many occasions his teammates. He was undoubtedly the "hardest" player I've ever seen in the 60 years that I've been watching professional football.

It shouldn't be overlooked that Sammy could get the ball down and play too.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 23-05-17 at 09:29.

When the shit hit the fan at St James Park in 1974 it wouldn't have surprised me if Sammy had gotten involved

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Tank played 366 times for forest, over a period of 11 years, before moving on to Coventry City, Peterborough and Burton Albion.
    During his time at Forest Tank scored 10 goals.
    Fit, strong and a Forest man through and through.
    I saw him right from the start of his Forest career, right through to him leaving.
    One day there will be discovered a way of preventing this horrible disease.
    Sadly, it is likely to be too late for Tank.
    Pfft. Only 33 games a season.
    Dud. Get rid.

"This statement is false."

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    Pfft. Only 33 games a season.
    Dud. Get rid.

Men of iron, not of biscuit and the medical treatments and physio routines were, well, prehistoric compared with now.

Quote Originally Posted by george lyall View Post
    Men of iron, not of biscuit and the medical treatments and physio routines were, well, prehistoric compared with now.
    Tommy Cavaners magic sponge, that's all you needed then

Left Winger

Default Peter Hindley (tank)

I've got somewhere in my house in the UK a newspaper from the late 60s with a big team photo of Forest in it that my Uncle gave me when I started to go with him to watch Forest in the late 1970s.

On it, the "Physio" is wearing what can only be described as a Butcher's shop-coat.

And he looks like a Butcher too.

Last edited by chriscl; 23-05-17 at 14:16.

Quote Originally Posted by george lyall View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how thin and spindly some of the top players were back in the sixties. Many of them looked no different to me and the lads I kicked about with in the park at the time.