Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 465 of 466 FirstFirst ... 365415455463464465466 LastLast
Results 11,601 to 11,625 of 11632
  1. #11601
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Little Italy, Nottingham.
    Posts
    11,645

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    I think I had decided on Queen & Slim, but had a call to make. Will stick it on tomorrow.
    I recommend it FB; I saw it at the Broadway on its release and was impressed.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #11602
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    86,208

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Watched Airplane again last night with the eldest.... classic film, some of it went right over his head.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
    Surely you canít be serious?

    ĄI believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialismď

    ó Joe Strummer

  4. #11603

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Watched Airplane again last night with the eldest.... classic film, some of it went right over his head.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk



  5. #11604
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    50,734

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    He did look at me and say "so that's where you got it from" at the coffee scene.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


  6. #11605

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    I recommend it FB; I saw it at the Broadway on its release and was impressed.
    Yeah, was good Otis.


  7. #11606
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Speluncarrum Domus
    Posts
    10,108

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Just read that a remake of 'Roadhouse' is being consdered with a female wrestler in the lead role. This would be a new low for the movie industry let us hope that this never happens.

    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  8. #11607
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    50,734

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    That would be a sit down piss right on Patrick Swayzes grave, sacrilege

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


  9. #11608
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    86,208

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Jeff Healey would be absolutely spinning in his grave as well.

    Outrageous.


  10. #11609

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Nothing is sacred anymore

    Hollywood should burn


  11. #11610
    Massive Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Quarantine
    Posts
    15,584

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    That's like remaking under siege with Johnny Vegas popping out of the cake

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk


  12. #11611
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,517

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Cats

    A tribe of cats called the Jellicles must decide yearly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new Jellicle life.
    This is not a movie. This is an endurance test. An endurance test to see how long before your jaw falls on the floor in flabbergastement. I’ll hazard a guess of less than five minutes. It’s so difficult to compute what you are watching. It’s like a sick fever dream where you’re all dehydrated and your mind is playing tricks on your and your eyes see things you think aren’t real. That’s the easy way to describe viewing Cats. The hard way to watch it is if you are viewing it as a straight film because this simply does not work from top to bottom. The way they have CGI’ed humans to look like cats is horrifying. The 1942 horror film Cat People is less scary. But not only is it mind-blowing how they’ve created these cat/human hybrids, you then start to wonder if it is just you that is finding one or two of them attractive. That’s right, you start to think that maybe a mutated cat/human is sexy. If this was a fever dream then fine, but this is really happening as you are watching Cats.
    If that wasn’t bad enough, then they start to sing. Now, some of these songs are absolute classics. But you wouldn’t guess that from the versions performed in this film. It is literally like cats wailing on the back garden wall. James Corden’s attempts at singing will go down the same way that Pierce Brosnan’s did in Mamma Mia – like a sinking ship. Then you have Ian McKellen, one of Britain’s finest actors ever, talk singing a song about… well, who knows what because you can’t hear him. Then you have Judy Dench strutting around in a massive fur coat with a little cat ears headband on and cutesy whiskers stuck to her face as she warbles on about who is the most deserving cat to be ascended to up on high. Then you suddenly realise everything in this film is a metaphor for death under certain religions and what happens after we die. Interesting and thought-provoking narrative for a film… BUT IT’S DONE WITH CATS! CATS!
    When the horror film Last House On The Left was released in 1972, the poster tagling read: “To avoid fainting keep repeating: It’s only a movie, it’s only a movie, it’s only a movie”. Cats is not a movie, it is a terrifying descent into madness where even the strongest will not survive a viewing experience like Cats.


  13. #11612
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,517

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Krabi, 2562

    The landscape and stories within the community of Krabi, Southern Thailand. It captures the town in this specific moment where the pre-historic, the more recent and the contemporary world collide, sometimes easily.
    I have to wonder what this film is and who it is aimed at. It is a strange amalgamation of documentary and narrative film. It sort of sits in both camps but uneasily mixes both. A curious idea for sure, but one that doesn’t work overall. The Koyanisqaatsi-esc documentary footage is the best part about the film. As a static camera films life moving at great speed and at almost stand still. It is hypnotic and the low-fi music that accompanies it gives it a transcendent feel. I think if the filmmakers had just stuck to one filming style then it would have made for such a more interesting watch.
    The narrative storylines in the film veer between engaging and weird. One of the story’s see’s a market researcher travel to Krabi to explore the area. Her exploits are quite fascinating to watch as she takes in all the local surroundings and also speaks to locals about what they find so brilliant about the area. But this story seems to not really know how to end. It is almost like a day in the life story and then the film moves onto other ideas. One of those being a commercial for a fruit drink being shot on one of the beaches in Krabi. This is the strangest of the stories in the film. Initially, it seems like a secondary plot but quickly it develops into this weird almost Lynchian-esc storyline of the director trying to chat up someone who works on the lighting and then the star of the commercial being followed by a homo sapien. It is so difficult to understand who thought these styles would mix well.
    If this was a tourism video then I could slightly understand the strange kookiness of it all. But this is meant to be a tracing of history through modern times and beyond of an area that very few of us have ever been to and even fewer are even aware of. A curious puzzle of a film that has ups and downs.


  14. #11613
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,517

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    The Uncertain Kingdom

    Sometimes going to the cinema doesn’t give great value for money. Films can be expensive to watch on the big screen and sometimes they last less than 90 minutes. The Uncertain Kingdom does not have either of those issues. It is good value for money as it is nearly four hours in length. It is not your usual documentary either. It is an anthology of short films made by twenty filmmakers who give a snapshot of what it is like living in the UK in 2020.
    Now, I know what you are thinking. You are thinking “oh this is going to be heavy going”. At times you would be right. There are some heavy shorts in this piece, and quite rightly too. We can’t just ignore the issues that some of these films tackle such as climate change or racial and/or social issues, and documentaries are a great eye-opening for many because it is true life. It is real life. However, there is a flip side to those shorts. For example, the opening short film is called Swan. When it starts Mark Addy is talking about being a proud Brit and how he has taken a test to prove that he is more British than the immigrants coming over to the UK. “Uh Oh” I her you say “This is going to be about Brexit” and yes, there is an underlying racial story in play here. However, it is covered up by the fact that because Addy’s proud Britain has done so well on the test he gets to morph into a Swan. Yes, that’s right. He is going to transition into a swan. It is quite a funny short and one that benefits from it being a little bit of a silly opening short. But as I said, there is an underlying thought about the transition not just for immigrants but also for sexuality rippling throughout this short.
    Not all of the shorts work. The one called Camelot about a bunch of schoolboys reimagining the legend of King Arthur into modern times doesn’t fully work. Their thoughts on how he would be a wrestler these days are quite pretty insightful but the short doesn’t spend long enough on that and instead it misses the point of what the children are trying to make. Also, the final short The Conversation is far too experimental even for my tastes. It is a story of how black people convey racism to their white partners. But it is all done through dance and some dialogue.
    Huge praise has to go to those that have put together these shorts because some of them are very good, and I think on the whole the nearly four hours is well spent watching these. It is an ambitious project that ultimately does pay off.


  15. #11614
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,517

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Snowpiercer

    In a future where a failed climate-change experiment has killed all life except for the lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a travel that travels around the globe, a new class system emerges.
    The history of Snowpiercer is one of exasperating horror. It began picking up extraordinary reviews when it began debuting at film festival around the world in 2013. Critics and cinema goers alike were singing its praises from the roof tops. Then Harvey Weinstein bought the rights to it in several English speaking countries. It never got released in the UK because Miramax wanted so much money for the distribution that it wouldn’t have been economical for any studio to release it. It eventually received DVD and Blu Ray releases in some countries around 2015. Miramax held onto the rights until it went belly up last year. Now it has finally seen the light of day on cinema screens, on streaming and finally on DVD/Blu Ray, and I can honestly say it is still one of my favourite films of the last decade.
    It is a post-apocalyptic action drama that takes in so many important messages about friendship, class structure and climate change. But none of them are preachy or in-your-face because director Bong Joon-Ho (He of Parasite fame) has made a film that looks & feels like an action flick but it incorporates all of those elements without you even noticing. It is a multi-language film that benefits greatly from having different nationalities appear in the film. Chris Evans plays Curtis, the hero who starts the rebellion of the working class at the back of the train to over throw all those in the other carriages towards the front. His side kick is Britain’s own Jamie Bell doing a brilliant accent. Then you have Kang-ho Song as a drug addict who may have all the answers. As in the cast is William Hurt, Ed Harris, Octavia Spencer and Ewan Bremner. It is a multi-cultural piece in every sense of the word. However, the most praise must go to Tilda Swinton as the mouth piece of the upper class. She is phenomenal as Mason, a cross between Margaret Thatcher and Nora Batty. Simply brilliant and very, very funny.
    Snowpiercer finally gets the release it so deserved back in 2015. It is an incredible piece of filmmaking that is filled with allegories and metaphors for so many important subjects of the modern age. It’s got some explosive action. It has some tender moments too. There is humour as well. One of the best post-apocalyptic science fiction (maybe less fiction in these trying times) films you’ll ever see, and as I said one of my favourite films of the last decade.


  16. #11615
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,517

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    A Rainy Day In New York

    A young couple arrives in New York for a weekend where they are met with bad weather and a series of adventures.
    I either love or hate Woody Allen’s films. There is no middle ground for me. I love some of his more recent works like Midnight in Paris and Vicky Christina Barcelona. But I hate some of his other works, especially some that people find his classics. I like Manhattan but the rest like Annie Hall and Crimes & Misdemeanours I simply don’t get what there is to love about them. It is sycophantic upper-class people complaining about their well-to-do lives with other well-to-do people. It smacks of class-ism. A Rainy Day In New York is no different. Elle Fanning plays a wet behind the ears twenty-something reporter Ashleigh Enright who goes to meet a very famous film director. While there she ends up running around New York after him and a collection of his cronies as they do more ridiculous stuff that just wouldn’t enter into the lives of 90% of those watching this film. Then you have Timothy Chalamet, who plays Gatsby Welles – the boyfriend of Ashleigh, his sneering attitude throughout the entire film really is a wonder to behold because it so anger inducing. This is a man who talks incessantly about things but he actually isn’t talking. Instead he is just making noise because it makes him seem intelligent and hip and cool to all the people who he bumps into during the day in New York. A lot of his dialogue is, once again, about how his upper-class life isn’t really the way he wants it and his mother wants him to go to one university but he wants to go and live in the Hamptons. It is all so infuriatingly out of whack with most filmgoers.
    This all goes back to the writing. When Allen is writing outside of his society bubble then he can make interesting pieces that do have something to say. But when he continues to churn out the same upper-class society films that haven’t moved on from his heyday in the 70s then it becomes a huge problem. Allen is no longer reading the room, so to speak, he is writing from a very outdated viewpoint. A Rainy Day In New York exemplifies that.


  17. #11616
    Massive Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Quarantine
    Posts
    15,584

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Quote Originally Posted by FBS View Post
    Snowpiercer

    In a future where a failed climate-change experiment has killed all life except for the lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a travel that travels around the globe, a new class system emerges.
    The history of Snowpiercer is one of exasperating horror. It began picking up extraordinary reviews when it began debuting at film festival around the world in 2013. Critics and cinema goers alike were singing its praises from the roof tops. Then Harvey Weinstein bought the rights to it in several English speaking countries. It never got released in the UK because Miramax wanted so much money for the distribution that it wouldnít have been economical for any studio to release it. It eventually received DVD and Blu Ray releases in some countries around 2015. Miramax held onto the rights until it went belly up last year. Now it has finally seen the light of day on cinema screens, on streaming and finally on DVD/Blu Ray, and I can honestly say it is still one of my favourite films of the last decade.
    It is a post-apocalyptic action drama that takes in so many important messages about friendship, class structure and climate change. But none of them are preachy or in-your-face because director Bong Joon-Ho (He of Parasite fame) has made a film that looks & feels like an action flick but it incorporates all of those elements without you even noticing. It is a multi-language film that benefits greatly from having different nationalities appear in the film. Chris Evans plays Curtis, the hero who starts the rebellion of the working class at the back of the train to over throw all those in the other carriages towards the front. His side kick is Britainís own Jamie Bell doing a brilliant accent. Then you have Kang-ho Song as a drug addict who may have all the answers. As in the cast is William Hurt, Ed Harris, Octavia Spencer and Ewan Bremner. It is a multi-cultural piece in every sense of the word. However, the most praise must go to Tilda Swinton as the mouth piece of the upper class. She is phenomenal as Mason, a cross between Margaret Thatcher and Nora Batty. Simply brilliant and very, very funny.
    Snowpiercer finally gets the release it so deserved back in 2015. It is an incredible piece of filmmaking that is filled with allegories and metaphors for so many important subjects of the modern age. Itís got some explosive action. It has some tender moments too. There is humour as well. One of the best post-apocalyptic science fiction (maybe less fiction in these trying times) films youíll ever see, and as I said one of my favourite films of the last decade.
    Saw this film a while ago and enjoyed it. Thought I was stuck in a time warp when I read the title of this post. Makes sense as to why I've not been able to find it again. Brilliant review as always.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk


  18. #11617
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    86,208

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Quote Originally Posted by FBS View Post
    Snowpiercer

    In a future where a failed climate-change experiment has killed all life except for the lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a travel that travels around the globe, a new class system emerges.
    The history of Snowpiercer is one of exasperating horror. It began picking up extraordinary reviews when it began debuting at film festival around the world in 2013. Critics and cinema goers alike were singing its praises from the roof tops. Then Harvey Weinstein bought the rights to it in several English speaking countries. It never got released in the UK because Miramax wanted so much money for the distribution that it wouldnít have been economical for any studio to release it. It eventually received DVD and Blu Ray releases in some countries around 2015. Miramax held onto the rights until it went belly up last year. Now it has finally seen the light of day on cinema screens, on streaming and finally on DVD/Blu Ray, and I can honestly say it is still one of my favourite films of the last decade.
    It is a post-apocalyptic action drama that takes in so many important messages about friendship, class structure and climate change. But none of them are preachy or in-your-face because director Bong Joon-Ho (He of Parasite fame) has made a film that looks & feels like an action flick but it incorporates all of those elements without you even noticing. It is a multi-language film that benefits greatly from having different nationalities appear in the film. Chris Evans plays Curtis, the hero who starts the rebellion of the working class at the back of the train to over throw all those in the other carriages towards the front. His side kick is Britainís own Jamie Bell doing a brilliant accent. Then you have Kang-ho Song as a drug addict who may have all the answers. As in the cast is William Hurt, Ed Harris, Octavia Spencer and Ewan Bremner. It is a multi-cultural piece in every sense of the word. However, the most praise must go to Tilda Swinton as the mouth piece of the upper class. She is phenomenal as Mason, a cross between Margaret Thatcher and Nora Batty. Simply brilliant and very, very funny.
    Snowpiercer finally gets the release it so deserved back in 2015. It is an incredible piece of filmmaking that is filled with allegories and metaphors for so many important subjects of the modern age. Itís got some explosive action. It has some tender moments too. There is humour as well. One of the best post-apocalyptic science fiction (maybe less fiction in these trying times) films youíll ever see, and as I said one of my favourite films of the last decade.
    One of my favourites as well.

    Itís absolutely brilliant and i would recommend anyone to watch it.


  19. #11618
    Floating in space.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Астана Казахста&
    Posts
    10,117

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Greed

    This is supposed to be a satire about a self~made billionaire clothing magnate also comedy. It is not funny however if you have 90 mins ro spare it is not crap just not amazing.Starring Steve Coogan, Isla Fisher and David Mitchel plus a few cameos including Steven Fry. Just a time killer and little more.

    6/10

    The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side and the Devil makes good use of these hands of mine

    J Spaceman (the real Spaceman).

  20. #11619
    Ale ape.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    27,697

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Watching BlacKkKlansman.

    Seems topical.


  21. #11620
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Nellingen-Ostfildern
    Posts
    595

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)



    Be excellent to each other!


  22. #11621
    Massive Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Quarantine
    Posts
    15,584

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Hope it's better than Dumb and Dumber 2.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk


  23. #11622
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,875

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    13th
    Just watched this documentary from 2016 on Netflix. It's title references the 13th Amendment to the constitution outlawing slavery. The film shows how originally after the amendment the South found ways to implement de facto slavery and then delves into the modern day problems of disproportionate incarceration of black people in the US. It is very well done, sobering and disturbing. More importantly, it allows anyone who watches it a perspective on being black in America. It is a film that will encourage thinking, talking, understanding and hopefully action to change things.


  24. #11623
    Floating in space.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Астана Казахста&
    Posts
    10,117

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    dead mans shoes, Paddy Connsadine , Shane Meadows. I may have spellt Paddy wrong This film is brutal but wonderful. I have now seen it 13 times. It is hard work however good work. Meadows got fame for this is England, well t. If you like to cry, fight shadows, watch retribution watch this. A joy to behold.

    Last edited by Spaceman; 27-06-20 at 22:21.

  25. #11624
    Floating in space.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Астана Казахста&
    Posts
    10,117

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Can I just add, this film is unforgettable. Like, how ia it not mentiond in higher places ? It is wonderful .


  26. #11625
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,517

    Default Re: The LTLF Film Thread (sponsored by FBS!)

    Family Romance LLC

    A man is hired to impersonate the missing father of a young girl.
    This tender and unassuming film from actor/writer/director Werner Herzog is more like a documentary. The way it is shot, with very in-the-face scenes and very rough movements, almost makes it feel like a documentary. Which is clearly what Herzog was aiming for, as it does feel like this story, which is a genuine thing in Asia and Herzog read an article about it and made it into a feature film, is ripe for an in-depth look at how this strange yet quite compelling idea came about. We see the man educate himself in the history of the missing father and also the relationship that the original father had with the daughter. When they first meet it is very stand-off-ish from the daughter, you can visibly see she is unsure about it all, but the acting from the replacement father eventually convinces her that it is really her father who has returned.
    Confusion soon comes into play as the replacement dad is doing such a good job that he is offered the position full time by the wife & mother. However, he says to her “we have strict policies about using the word ‘Love’.” Which is a really pivotal moment in the film and within the idea of these replacement actors. They can only go so far before having to pull back.
    The film delves deep into the complex relationships that families have about absente family members, and while it doesn’t do it in a heavy way there is more than enough thought-provoking moments in the film to make you wonder if this could be a genuine outlet for many people to fill that hole in their lives and to have someone care for them when it has been missing for so many years. There is a sequence where an animatronic robot is serving behind a bar that the replacement father and his friend go to. This seems to be a metaphor for the fact that while computers are doing many jobs they cannot replace the real human connection that we all have with one another. It cannot replace love. This continues later on when a fish tank has three mechanical fish in them and even though they look very real, the reaction to some one tapping on the glass to them is very mechanical. They only have certain programmers.
    This film is a small yet intricate look at the struggles of abandonment and how maybe, just maybe, there can be a way around it all.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •