Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The relegation run-in

Default Re: The relegation run-in

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I think even on a business level, some people, Fawaz included, think Forest are worth more because of the Brian Clough legacy and history.
    Like the comment on 5 Live the other week when the presenter asked Fawaz if he realised Nottingham Forest are one of the special clubs in this country.
    Why are we? We've done nothing for decades, but it clearly still holds some weight, somehow.
    Because the success is still within living memory I guess. When Blackburn won the title in the 90's they were no longer seen as a big club even though they have an illustrious history. Similarly Huddersfield now. Give it another few decades and we'll be in a similar bracket.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Anyone buying NFFC is essentially purchasing little more than a brand. There are few tangible assets to speak of, whilst in terms of real estate, a training ground affected by a secure restrictive covenant and a field located on a flood plain.

I suspect the Americans recognised this, hence why they attempted to drive down the final price. The potential market value of that brand would've doubtlessly been the attraction for JJM and co. A potential far harder to realise from the third-tier.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 22-03-17 at 20:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Because the success is still within living memory I guess. When Blackburn won the title in the 90's they were no longer seen as a big club even though they have an illustrious history. Similarly Huddersfield now. Give it another few decades and we'll be in a similar bracket.
    few decades?

You're having a laugh mate. Forest are not on the radar for most football fans. Once upon a time I would say I supported Forest and people would respond with a comment about Brian Clough. These days the most common response is 'what league are you in now?'

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    few decades?

You're having a laugh mate. Forest are not on the radar for most football fans. Once upon a time I would say I supported Forest and people would respond with a comment about Brian Clough. These days the most common response is 'what league are you in now?'
    Yep I work near Hull and it riles me that their tin pot club which was so close to extinction not so long ago is framed to be far bigger than us now and all I get are pitying smiles when I enthuse about the mighty reds. The Arsenal fans were right in response to our champions of Europe you'll never say that with you weren't even born which for the majority is probably true. We have to look to the future and be proud of but not look back at and emphasise our glorious ancient history

Down here, you say 'Nottingham Forest' to someone and you might as well be saying Northampton Woodland - it means about as much

We were relevant for a about a twenty year period because we had the best manager this country's ever seen at the helm, but sadly now we have reverted back to the state from which we came

Wandering around the CG

Quote Originally Posted by redforest View Post
    Yep I work near Hull and it riles me that their tin pot club which was so close to extinction not so long ago is framed to be far bigger than us now and all I get are pitying smiles when I enthuse about the mighty reds. The Arsenal fans were right in response to our champions of Europe you'll never say that with you weren't even born which for the majority is probably true. We have to look to the future and be proud of but not look back at and emphasise our glorious ancient history
    The thing is with clubs like Hull City is they can disappear from the top flight as quickly as they arrived. Like Blackpool, Cardiff, Swindon, Bradford...
    Neither will they be remembered because they'll never make any impact on the top flight.

Let them think what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    Down here, you say 'Nottingham Forest' to someone and you might as well be saying Northampton Woodland - it means about as much

We were relevant for a about a twenty year period because we had the best manager this country's ever seen at the helm, but sadly now we have reverted back to the state from which we came
    We were more relevant back then than we are now. Firstly, there wasn't the huge gulf between the top teams and the rest that there is today. Five years before BC arrived we were challenging towards the top of the old first division. We had been in the top league for 15 years, and during that time had won the FA Cup - in the days when the FA Cup was almost as important a competition as the league. We were in a similar state to now before WWII, but there isn't really a worse period in our history than the past twenty years.

Last edited by Ravi; 23-03-17 at 08:46.

When I arrived as a fan we were in Div III (S) and even Notts were getting more headlines than us. Then Billy Walker started to get a grip and we slowly rose up again and continued to rise (with the slight blip called the Matt Gillies, Dave MacKay and Allan Brown era)until the triumphs of the Taylor and Clough era. Finally it all had to end and we have languished practically ever since.

I always regard football success as cyclical, so it will soon be our turn once again.

Keep the faith!

A lot of us can relate similar stories but many years ago I was in a bar in Maastricht in The Netherlands and the barman asked where I was from I replied "England". "I know that" said he "Whereabouts in England"? "Nottingham " I said proudly. His reply was, without a thought "How is Mr Clough?"

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    When I arrived as a fan we were in Div III (S) and even Notts were getting more headlines than us. Then Billy Walker started to get a grip and we slowly rose up again and continued to rise (with the slight blip called the Matt Gillies, Dave MacKay and Allan Brown era)until the triumphs of the Taylor and Clough era. Finally it all had to end and we have languished practically ever since.

I always regard football success as cyclical, so it will soon be our turn once again.

Keep the faith!
    If that's true, Preston NE's cycle must be very very long!

Red til I'm dead

Default The relegation run-in

I think we'll finish above Wigan; Bristol City, Burton and Blackburn will be mighty close.

It's Brum I reckon will save our bacon though....

But if we get relegated it's because we deserve to get relegated. Can say the same for all the clubs in this mess. They've all served up some shite football on regular occasions this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 26/01/1962 View Post
    A lot of us can relate similar stories but many years ago I was in a bar in Maastricht in The Netherlands and the barman asked where I was from I replied "England". "I know that" said he "Whereabouts in England"? "Nottingham " I said proudly. His reply was, without a thought "How is Mr Clough?"
    I was in a bar in Amsterdam a couple of years back and I was watching some footy on the tv. The bar man and his mate was watching it too and he asked me who I supported. When I told him he said "Ahhhh Scchteve McClaren"!!!

That's when I first thought what have we become!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    If that's true, Preston NE's cycle must be very very long!
    And Rochdale.

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    And Rochdale.
    But at least Preston had their "glory days" for 20 years a bit like us albeit 130 rather than 30 years ago; poor old Rochdale have never had any "glory days"