Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Zach Clough kilothread

Default Re: Zach Clough kilothread

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    Very unfair to judge a player from one game, I know, but to be honest he really looked outclassed; at times he seemed not to know where to stand on the field. Harsh as it may seem, he looked like lower league material.
    Cloughs already shone at this level for Bolton.

I think he's struggling physically with the slower build up, unsure if Bolton used to play on the counter, but his success usually came running at players with space in front of him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Cloughs already shone at this level for Bolton.

I think he's struggling physically with the slower build up, unsure if Bolton used to play on the counter, but his success usually came running at players with space in front of him.
    I think this is it, when he first came here he looked best picking up the ball and moving into space. Now he is getting the ball faced with a wall of players or with his back to goal and I am not sure he knows what to do in this situation.

Clough isn't a midfielder, he is a player you either play behind the striker or upfront. Playing players out of position very rarely works. Feel sorry for him TBH. MW needs to either play him in the right position or don't play him at all, shoehorning him into midfield isn't doing anyone any favours.

We're doing the same with Brereton. Square pegs, round holes. See Osborn and left wing back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Clough isn't a midfielder, he is a player you either play behind the striker or upfront. Playing players out of position very rarely works. Feel sorry for him TBH. MW needs to either play him in the right position or don't play him at all, shoehorning him into midfield isn't doing anyone any favours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkshire Red View Post
    We're doing the same with Brereton. Square pegs, round holes. See Osborn and left wing back too.
    It's one of the reasons I'd like to see a manager get a couple of years here, so that he isn't having to squeeze players which he's inherited into the system he likes to use.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Too School for Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    It's one of the reasons I'd like to see a manager get a couple of years here, so that he isn't having to squeeze players which he's inherited into the system he likes to use.
    This has been a problem for years now and is an inherent consequence of churning through managers at a rate of two or three a season.

When you consider the number of different managers our players were signed by it's little wonder that we're constantly having to shoehorn players into positions they aren't suited to.

It's just one of the many arguments for giving a manager who isn't taking you down time to build their own side.

Devils favourite advocate

Longest serving "player" is cohen.... how many managers has he had?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Calderwood signed him, Pemberton (caretaker), Davies I, McClaren, Kelly (caretaker), Cotterill, O'Driscoll, Kelly (again), McLeish, Kelly (again), Davies II, Brazil (caretaker), Pearce, Freedman, Williams (caretaker), Montanier, Brazil/Lester (careteker), Warburton

Not sure how many of those he might have been unavailable to play for at all because of injuries.

Jonny Metgod is my hero

Don't really get the points being made. We have enough first team players now so that nobody needs to be out of position. MW just needs to pick them.

Quote Originally Posted by tjhooker View Post
    Don't really get the points being made. We have enough first team players now so that nobody needs to be out of position. MW just needs to pick them.
    MW has a style & approach that needs players comfortable on the ball & able to move it around. There may well be a player for every position, but if they can't execute the plan, then another player gets shoehorned in who can.

Osborn ahead of Traore & Carayol down the left is a case in point.

If given enough time, MW can fill each position with players to fit his style & the whole thing will come together.

I'm just not convinced that Zach Clough is actually any good.

Neat when he's got space but he hardly creates like McKay does and doesn't link the play like Osborn does.

Proud father of the :whoosh:

Similarities to Patterson? Not in his persona, but type of player

Pork - Stuffing - Apple Sauce

I think he works well for the #10 role that MW likes to have in his team, and he showed a couple of nice touches and passes last night after Dowell got took off.

Dowell was getting bullied by Sunderlands defence and I thought Clough dealt with it better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not as though he's actually played much football for the last few though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    I'm just not convinced that Zach Clough is actually any good.

Neat when he's got space but he hardly creates like McKay does and doesn't link the play like Osborn does.
    He's not had anywhere near the experience which they've had playing against better opposition though.

Give him time.

Not that type of player

He's only 22. Still a young player.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    I think he works well for the #10 role that MW likes to have in his team, and he showed a couple of nice touches and passes last night after Dowell got took off.

Dowell was getting bullied by Sunderlands defence and I thought Clough dealt with it better
    Agreed. What Clough does well is drift into space and provide options for the pass. He's got a quick brain and often see's the next pass quicker than others might and has the ability to deliver them. What he lacks is the physicality to hold the ball when challenged so gets dispossessed too often. He's not the only one guilty of that to be fair. Thought he did well when he came on and definately carries a threat. Needs more consistency which only game time will provide. MW will do the right thing.

Either way - having one of Osborn, Clough or Dowell in that number 10 role is a great selection of players. Over a season it will show it's worth. I would bet Ward & McKay could play there comfortably as well.

It certainly wasn't Dowell's day. I have seen a bit of him at youth level & the concern was sloppyness - we got to expect that now and again with him.

But thought Clough looked sharp and was getting in between the lines and was putting sharp through balls through which he is arguably our best at doing. Sometimes you need a wake-up call like v Wendies for Zachariah.

Played well for the 23s tonight. Is he good enough to be Dowell's replacement next season?

We want him pushing Dowell. If Zachiesta is on his game then the options we have is unbelievable and so varied to suit Warbs wants and needs.

Some of his flicks for Cash tonight was sumptuous.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Masuka View Post
    Played well for the 23s tonight. Is he good enough to be Dowell's replacement next season?
    Nope. He'll have fallen behind the returning Grant by then.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Masuka View Post
    I don't see why not.

Although it's evident that playing more orthodox centre-midfield is a bit of a struggle for him, he's demonstrated in the past that he can operate effectively in the "No. 10" role. I certainly won't write-off the lad.

It's all about mid-table...

He's got plenty of ability, don't write the lad off. He can come good, agree with Otis.