Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 1875

Thread: The Nineteen-year-old Centre Forward we won’t talk about.

Default Re: The Nineteen-year-old Centre Forward we won’t talk about.

You can't always predict a player's career at that age. When we sold Burke to Leipzig I'm sure some on here were expecting him to rip up the Bundesliga but he never got in the team really, or at WBA even now.

I think as a young player they were saying John Curtis (yes, the one we had under Mugson) would be a future England regular. Plenty of Man U academy players didn't quite make it despite the hype.

Isn't Craig Westcarr still our youngest player?

There are plenty of examples of players who did very little until about the age of 20 or so same as there are 17/18 year olds scoring in world cup finals.

Ben is a young player who is still learning the game in a difficult position and (due to our other strikers being shit) has had to play a lot more than perhaps he should have but has done a good job when he has.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Too close to Derby but still an NG postcode

I always liked the look of Emile Sinclair. I recall telling friends who supported other clubs to keep an eye out for him.

Red til I'm dead

Rooney and Owen obviously the exceptions at such a young age.

If we had numbers 1 and 5 on the England all-time top scorers list, there wouldn’t be much debate. They also wouldn’t be here because they’d have been sold already.

Perhaps a better example might be Connor Wickham, as he was a young prodigy and also physically ahead of his peers at an early age.

Even though his career hasn’t been stratospheric as predicted, he’s still bloody good at this level, would have been our best striker were he here over the last 4-5 years and fetched Ipswich a big sum when they sold him.

Still be madness to sell BB now for 5m, even if he becomes the next Wickham. Let’s give him time to see if he becomes a Kane or a Wickham, or something in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    Rooney and Owen obviously the exceptions at such a young age.

If we had numbers 1 and 5 on the England all-time top scorers list, there wouldn’t be much debate. They also wouldn’t be here because they’d have been sold already.

Perhaps a better example might be Connor Wickham, as he was a young prodigy and also physically ahead of his peers at an early age.

Even though his career hasn’t been stratospheric as predicted, he’s still bloody good at this level, would have been our best striker were he here over the last 4-5 years and fetched Ipswich a big sum when they sold him.

Still be madness to sell BB now for 5m, even if he becomes the next Wickham. Let’s give him time to see if he becomes a Kane or a Wickham, or something in between.

I don't think we ever considered selling at £5m. That was the bid.

Look at it from the clubs POV, let's say a bid of £8-10m comes in for a player that can't even make the bench. A championship club can't really turn that down, however short-termist it is. Football is all about timing, if a club come in at this moment in time and stump up good money we could very well sell him.

I think Aitor put to bed the situation with Brereton here :

Nottingham Forest are in no rush to sell Ben Brereton – and the young striker will still have a part to play with the club this season, says Aitor Karanka.

The Reds are understood to have rejected a £5m bid from Championship rivals Blackburn for the teenager, who is regarded as one of the brightest prospects to have come through the Nigel Doughty Academy in recent years, on transfer deadline day.

The 19-year-old has previously attracted the attention of numerous Premier League clubs, as he built his reputation at the City Ground and within the junior ranks of the England setup.

Brereton currently finds himself down the pecking order at Forest, following the £6m capture of Lewis Grabban and a pre-season that has seen Daryl Murphy show a great appetite to prove he still has plenty to offer to the team.

But Karanka says that does not mean Forest are necessarily open to allowing Brereton to move on.

“No, we are not in a rush to sell him. I like the player, I like his character and he has a bright future in front of him,” said Karanka.

“I have him in the squad and that is the main thing for me. He played last season and he was an important part of the team last season. This season, with his age, he will still have his games here.

“The club knows that I know how good Ben is.

“So let us see. I am happy with him. He played last season. We have Lewis and Daryl now, but he can be the third choice, he can be the first choice or he can be the second, let us see.

“If something does happen, it will (have to) be something good for him and something good for the club.”

Red til I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    I don't think we ever considered selling at £5m. That was the bid.

Look at it from the clubs POV, let's say a bid of £8-10m comes in for a player that can't even make the bench. A championship club can't really turn that down, however short-termist it is. Football is all about timing, if a club come in at this moment in time and stump up good money we could very well sell him.
    Even 8-10m is incredibly short-sighted. Derby have just paid that for Martyn Waghorn for christ’s sake

Nixon reckons Brereton to Blackburn is heating up.

There has to be a striker coming in on loan if that does end up being the case, Grabban and Murphy isn't enough.

I get Yates and Worrall possibly going out on loan, but Brereton is madness. We have no backup for Grabban. Last night we could have used his pace running at Bury. If it does happen I hope it's just a short term loan with no option to buy, etc.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...ereton-venkys/

Basically says they're offering £6m at the moment, we want £12m. They're hopeful of doing a loan to buy deal before the end of the month.

I know Grabban still lacks a bit of sharpness but now we’ve got these players to suit the system, we’re not giving Brereton a chance? Seems a bit mad to me. If anything I think he’s better suited to it out of the 3 as he’ll actually make runs beyond the defence which is what the midfield is looking for and not currently getting.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

I was told last night that Ben was given leave following his England youth exertions as he only had a short break at the end of last season, and is therefore not quite up-to-speed match-fitness-wise. Not that I expect that explanation to even slightly pacify some.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; Today at 11:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post

There has to be a striker coming in on loan if that does end up being the case, Grabban and Murphy isn't enough.
    I'd be amazed if this happened and we didn't have a replacement on hand.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Nottingham's dirty secret

We are short of quality strikers as it is. A loan without giving him a chance with the new attacking players wouldn't make sense in my opinion but a loan with a view to a perm would be utter madness.

We must have a seriously good striker lined up if we are indeed considering loaning him!

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

The only thing heating up is Nixon’s air.

Bullshit peddlar in peddling bullshit shock

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    I was told last night that Ben was given leave following his England youth exertions as he only had a short break at the end of last season, and is therefore not quite up-to-speed match-fitness-wise. Not that I expect that explanation to even slightly pacify some.

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

Makes a lot of sense. He basically didn't stop all summer.

I don't want us to sell him. Obviously everyone has a price. Imo his is £10m + add ons & a sell-on.

That's what I automatically thought given his early season exclusion. It's purely rest.

Karanka has said he likes him a lot and when you look back at last season under Karanka, Brereton was a starter the majority of the time.

He will have his part to play. There's no way he's getting sold.

Not that type of player

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...ereton-venkys/

Basically says they're offering £6m at the moment, we want £12m. They're hopeful of doing a loan to buy deal before the end of the month.
    The add ons and sell on percentage will be what could bump it up to an offer nearer to what we want, if this is true.

I’m surprised we haven’t brought in another striker already, but obviously it would be vital if BB is sold.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Ben's participation in the Euros and his delay in returning may be one sign.

In another column, Cash's involvement tells you the AK is not opposed to having 'novices' in the team.

Best served cold

Hopefully we instead loan him to Blackburn and pocket a significant loan fee. That way he will hopefully play regularly at this level, continue to develop and return in the summer a much better player ready to seriously stake a claim for a starting place in our squad.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

His agent has been causing trouble apparently.

I think our asking price is fair, a Champ team can’t turn down a 10m+ bid for a player that can’t make the bench, however good he could be.

Brereton has attributes that our other strikers don't have. There will be games where his pace and ability to run in behind will prove more useful to bring off the bench than say Murphy. For that reason it would be stupid to sell unless the club have a worth while replacement to bring in. Even then I would rather us keep him and see how he continues to grow with game time. Can't say I will be best pleased if we move him on. But we shall see what the club have planned.

Personally I would rather Brereton be on the bench than Murphy.

If he is getting a break cos of England duties that's fair enough. But yeah, I feel he would open teams up more than Murphy.

That said, in home games when teams sit in two banks of 4, I get the idea of a more aerially dominant player like Murphy being the option. His biggest threat is glancing headers in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    His agent has been causing trouble apparently.

I think our asking price is fair, a Champ team can’t turn down a 10m+ bid for a player that can’t make the bench, however good he could be.
    Same agent as Lolley, btw.