Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 220 of 221 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221 LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,500 of 5516
  1. #5476
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    14,625

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post
    Legislate fairly like the Republicans did when they emasculated Obama in his last 2 years? Attempt to block Kavanaugh after the Republicans blocked Obama’s legitimate (non-sex offender, non-perjuring) candidate Merrick Garland? So they should stop now in case the Republicans do it back in 2020? Like they did 2014-16?

    They were very unlikely to take the Senate with the seats up for grabs so last night was a great success. And they know it. And Trumps only response is that they should play nice. The guys a turd bucket and you know it, you’ve just gone so far down the line you can’t ‘not defend’ him now. Keep on going though, you become more of a parody of yourself all the time.
    There is one very big advantage Trump has over Obama, he is highly experienced in cutting deals. That is what let Obama down compared to previous POTUS working with the Opposition, it was Obama's way or no way.

    Don't be surprised to see Trump work with centrist Dems to get things through. Trump is not an ideologue like Obama.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #5477
    Can't Re Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,132

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    There is one very big advantage Trump has over Obama, he is highly experienced in cutting deals. That is what let Obama down compared to previous POTUS working with the Opposition, it was Obama's way or no way.

    Don't be surprised to see Trump work with centrist Dems to get things through. Trump is not an ideologue like Obama.
    He isn’t highly experienced in cutting deals he’s a spoilt fool with dubious business ethics and multiple bankruptcies and he could fall out with his own shadow. He’s a demagogue and it is not in their interest to help him do anything. Tie him up and wait out the two years is the best damage limitation.

    Oh FFS.

  4. #5478
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    14,625

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post
    He isn’t highly experienced in cutting deals he’s a spoilt fool with dubious business ethics and multiple bankruptcies and he could fall out with his own shadow. He’s a demagogue and it is not in their interest to help him do anything. Tie him up and wait out the two years is the best damage limitation.
    Bonalair - Trump is halfway through his Presidency already. He has stated no wars, the US economy is doing well, he has not tried to override the Constitution and when a Judge has ruled against his decisions he has accepted it.

    That is not the behaviour of a demagogue.

    Bankruptcy is a regular business occurrence and often not the fault of the company directors. Trump may well have inherited sizeable wealth but so did JKF and George W Bush.

    You are grossly underestimating Trump and his experience in the corporate jungle will most likely see him through the next two years and even maybe another four on top of that.

    Try putting some blame where it belongs for a change. If the Democrats had not gone with the hated Hillary they would have probably won. If the Democrats had not gone so vindictively OTT over Kavanaugh they may have taken the Senate and more seats in the House.


  5. #5479
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    21,411

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    Bonalair - Trump is halfway through his Presidency already. He has stated no wars, the US economy is doing well, he has not tried to override the Constitution and when a Judge has ruled against his decisions he has accepted it.

    That is not the behaviour of a demagogue.

    Bankruptcy is a regular business occurrence and often not the fault of the company directors. Trump may well have inherited sizeable wealth but so did JKF and George W Bush.

    You are grossly underestimating Trump and his experience in the corporate jungle will most likely see him through the next two years and even maybe another four on top of that.

    Try putting some blame where it belongs for a change. If the Democrats had not gone with the hated Hillary they would have probably won. If the Democrats had not gone so vindictively OTT over Kavanaugh they may have taken the Senate and more seats in the House.
    He's started a trade war and the American economy is doing well for the timebeing because he enacted a massive corporate tax cut in the late stages of the economic cycle which will artificially increase growth for a few years but lead to a bigger recession than otherwise would have been due this year or next because the fiscal deficit has increased massively due to his decisions.

    He might well, probably will end up serving the full 8 years, but that doesn't necessarily make him competent - see George Bush. Winning elections isn't necessarily about how good you are, it's mostly about avoiding negative public sentiment in the run up to campaign mode. Labour got absolutely battered in 2010 for "spending too much and wrecking the economy" but it was really because they were in power when the GFC hit.

    Trump will be toast if US recession hits before his 2nd term campaign kicks off. If he's enacted the tax cuts with the belief he can extend the economic cycle to break down after he's re-elected then he potentially deserves some strategic credit, but I highly doubt he's on that level of thought.

    Agree that Clinton was the wrong choice to run for democrats though.

    .k I m
    I m u mm

  6. #5480
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    14,625

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    I read in interesting piece on why Trump was delighted with the mid terms even though he lost the House.

    The point was made that over recent years power in US politics has shifted away from Congress and into the Judiciary. This is why the Democrats were going apeshit over the appointment of Kavanaugh and why they are desperately trying to keep octogenarian RBG in her post.

    It was an open secret that Hillary's plan was to fill the supreme court with judges with social justice credentials, but as a result of her failure Trump is now putting conservative minded judges in place. The end game of Hillary was to amend the First and Second Amendments using a social justice judiciary, that opportunity has now gone for many years to come.


  7. #5481
    Can't Re Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,132

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    I read in interesting piece on why Trump was delighted with the mid terms even though he lost the House.

    The point was made that over recent years power in US politics has shifted away from Congress and into the Judiciary. This is why the Democrats were going apeshit over the appointment of Kavanaugh and why they are desperately trying to keep octogenarian RBG in her post.

    It was an open secret that Hillary's plan was to fill the supreme court with judges with social justice credentials, but as a result of her failure Trump is now putting conservative minded judges in place. The end game of Hillary was to amend the First and Second Amendments using a social justice judiciary, that opportunity has now gone for many years to come.
    Sort of true-ish which is as close as you get. That has been the end game of the Christian Right Republicans and Obama tried to get Garland in to counter that. With hindsight Obama should have gone with a younger more controversial pick as whoever he picked was going to get stalled and refused and that way he could of made more political hay with the refusal.


  8. #5482
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    14,625

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post
    Sort of true-ish which is as close as you get. That has been the end game of the Christian Right Republicans and Obama tried to get Garland in to counter that. With hindsight Obama should have gone with a younger more controversial pick as whoever he picked was going to get stalled and refused and that way he could of made more political hay with the refusal.
    Of course one of the big unspeakable stories of the Obama years was how such a supposedly popular POTUS managed to lose so much power in the Senate and House over his period in office?

    The answers can be many, and probably are, from Gerrymandering to Obama being out of step with bread and butter issues and him having a divided Party of Far Left radicals and centrist liberals.


  9. #5483
    Can't Re Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,132

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    Of course one of the big unspeakable stories of the Obama years was how such a supposedly popular POTUS managed to lose so much power in the Senate and House over his period in office?

    The answers can be many, and probably are, from Gerrymandering to Obama being out of step with bread and butter issues and him having a divided Party of Far Left radicals and centrist liberals.
    Wouldn’t disagree with that.


  10. #5484
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,379

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    A Trump second term.

    Likely?
    Depends how much further the republicans can Gerry mander.

    The supreme court is now just a wing a republican party, it'll be a wing of the gop if Ginsburg dies before Trump is turfed out. So any appellant to law or justice will go unheard.

    Last edited by WeAreNottingham; 08-11-18 at 23:43.

  11. #5485
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Bored shitless with the whole thing now........


  12. #5486
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    14,625

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNottingham View Post
    Depends how much further the republicans can Gerry mander.

    The supreme court is now just a wing a republican party, it'll be a wing of the gop if Ginsburg dies before Trump is turfed out. So any appellant to law or justice will go unheard.
    It is not really gerrymandering though WAN. Whilst there needs to be an independent judiciary, the system has drifted into a situation where both sides can and do politicise the judiciary. They need to put more power back into the elected chambers.

    Also whilst the rationale for electoral collage has changed since its inception, you have to remember that the USA is a Union of equal states, and without the electoral collage it would mean that five major metropolitan areas would control the whole country.

    Many Brits complain about too much Londoncentricity and the Westminster Bubble.


  13. #5487
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    40,693

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    One person one vote, the college, just like constituencies should be comprised of roughly a similar level of population where possible.

    "Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

  14. #5488
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    14,625

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Joao CarvAndy!ho View Post
    One person one vote, the college, just like constituencies should be comprised of roughly a similar level of population where possible.
    You are dealing with country that has a long history of semi-autonomous states in a Union, in a tradition that goes back a long time.

    Quite honestly their system has worked well for them since WW2 with democratic power shifts on a regular basis. At the moment it works because there is compromise and the alternative to that is secession and conflict where everyone loses.

    For every Eschatological Christian with his gun and bible you a one Urban Marxist with a Che Tee Shirt and his copy of "Who Rules the World"


  15. #5489
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    40,693

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    If it's true that means a closer relationship between votes and colleges will be fine. A bit like first past the post, more people vote for alternatives than the have for the winner cannot be right.


  16. #5490
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    14,625

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Joao CarvAndy!ho View Post
    If it's true that means a closer relationship between votes and colleges will be fine. A bit like first past the post, more people vote for alternatives than the have for the winner cannot be right.
    There is no perfect electoral system that ensures and enshrines majority rule and minority rights. You either have compromise or conflict.


  17. #5491
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    14,815

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Another mass killing in the States... Mr President hasn't got any answers other than "Shit happens" and "We need more gun freedom".


  18. #5492
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The prettier side of the Erewash
    Posts
    15,120

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/st...502296064?s=09

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


  19. #5493
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Gunman even posted "all you ever give is thoughts and prayers for these things" on FB before he went on his spree.....


  20. #5494
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    40,693

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    'Mercans...


  21. #5495
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,379

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    There is no perfect electoral system that ensures and enshrines majority rule and minority rights. You either have compromise or conflict.
    Yes there is. It's called PR backed by a constitution or Human Rights Act that guarantees your rights.


  22. #5496
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    14,815

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    I haven't checked the news headlines this morning - have the Yanks all shot each other yet?


  23. #5497
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Posts
    5,445

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    It's raining so they're all indoors.

    Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk


  24. #5498
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    5,998

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    I haven't checked the news headlines this morning - have the Yanks all shot each other yet?
    Once they've shot the one that needs shooting let me know.


  25. #5499
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    14,625

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    This headline from the Daily Wire is too precious not to share.

    "Trump Blames CA Wildfires On Forest Mismanagement"


  26. #5500
    lol
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    CSU EAST BAY
    Posts
    14,241

    Default Re: US to Trump all the other crazy stuff going on in the world

    Fucking twat.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •