Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 1399
  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    12,998

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTe View Post
    There are numerous videos of him on the internet. Here's one for you to take a gander at.



    In all honesty, the Greek league is a million miles away from the Championship in terms of style, physicality, pacing... It's more like a really poor version of the Premier League.
    If that's a highlight reel.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Trees View Post
    If that's a highlight reel.
    Not a highlight reel, it's a scouting video. Gives you an impression on a number of things relating to overall play rather than just his best moments, assists, goals etc.


  4. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    12,998

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTe View Post
    Not a highlight reel, it's a scouting video. Gives you an impression on a number of things relating to overall play rather than just his best moments, assists, goals etc.
    Not very impressive whatever it is.


  5. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Trees View Post
    Not very impressive whatever it is.
    Yeah, I don't really see what he'd add to us either to be honest. Blackpool fans were very unimpressed by him.


  6. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,913

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTe View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see what he'd add to us either to be honest. Blackpool fans were very unimpressed by him.
    He was at the time , what ? 20 years old ?

    Some players take longer to mature and he obviously improved last season as he had a good season and broke into the greece national team. No idea how he will do but he does have the attributes we will be seeking as a partner to Britt.

    Last edited by marshal99; 12-06-16 at 17:45.

  7. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.
    Posts
    10,034

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    According to Wiki he played two games for Blackpool. In fairness to the lad, I'd still like to see him play more than twice before making a decision to just write-him-off.

    I thought he showed a reasonable touch and some decent hold-up play in that clip.

    Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 12-06-16 at 17:36.

  8. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    He was at the time , what ? 20 years old ?

    Some players take longer to mature and he obviously improved last season as he had a good season and broke into the greece national team. No matter how he will do but he does have the attributes we will be seeking as a partner to Britt.
    Not sure what attributes you could be referring too other than the fact that he's 6'4". Like Lars, however, he's not a good target man in spite of his height.


  9. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,913

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTe View Post
    Not sure what attributes you could be referring too other than the fact that he's 6'4". Like Lars, however, he's not a good target man in spite of his height.
    He's not a good target man ? How so ? From what i have read of him , he can head the ball and hold it up well. He was playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation as a lone target man striker. From the clips shown , he has decent enough pace , not that slow and has a decent shot.


  10. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    He's not a good target man ? How so ? From what i have read of him , he can head the ball and hold it up well. He was playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation as a lone target man striker. From the clips shown , he has decent enough pace , not that slow and has a decent shot.
    Not sure where you've read that about him nor can I see in that video where he holds the ball up well.

    We'd be better off going back in for Jutkiewicz if that's what we're after.

    EDIT: Re-watched the video. He didn't have a shot on target before his only goal and his pass completion was around the 10% mark. They also appeared to lose nearly every match.

    Last edited by RedTe; 12-06-16 at 18:09.

  11. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,913

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    I would rather judge him for myself. Anyway , if those greek journas are true , it's done already and i would welcome him. Just hope by the time he arrives , there's somebody to greet him.


  12. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    I would rather judge him for myself. Anyway , if those greek journas are true , it's done already and i would welcome him. Just hope by the time he arrives , there's somebody to greet him.
    I'd sooner have a proven player for that kind of money but hey.


  13. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    793

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Guys, I think we should let this happen and then once he's made a few sub appearances, all decide whether or not he should ever play for us again.


  14. #63
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    10,958

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Lars was judged not good enough on less minutes than that Highlights reel anyway.


  15. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    ROBIN HOOD CITY
    Posts
    2,436

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    I think we ought to wait till he's signed and actually played a few games before we judge whether or not he's shite. It isn't down to us who gets signed and if he does he deserves a fair go. Even Lars never got a fair go, especially when you look at the amount of time we gave Tyler Walker who I'm still not sure can actually step up to the level needed in the championship. Maybe in a better side their lives might be easier?


  16. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    ex Radcliffe Road now N Yorks
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Surely we don't need Lars and this bloke, as it looks like the dutchman is coming back (big wages!)


  17. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sutton-in-Ashfield
    Posts
    3,224

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    This place is unbelievable at times. Oliviera had never scored double figures before coming here and was excellent. Write the lad off before a ball is kicked, sounds about right.

    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk


  18. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,913

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by Well Red View Post
    Surely we don't need Lars and this bloke, as it looks like the dutchman is coming back (big wages!)
    I seriously doubt lars is on big wages since he came from the dutch 2nd division at the time.


  19. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    10,981

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTe View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see what he'd add to us either to be honest. Blackpool fans were very unimpressed by him.
    They also said Reid was shit.


  20. #69

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    I really think if Forest are to be a high quality footballing team again some day then we really ought to go with a clever, technical support striker or alternatively one or even two number 10/in the hole type player/s.

    Not to say Vellios/Assombalonga would be an absolute non-starter as an effective partnership but I think it would be a bit limited and not really aid cohesion between midfield and attack.


  21. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,913

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by Kjetil Osvald's Cat View Post
    I really think if Forest are to be a high quality footballing team again some day then we really ought to go with a clever, technical support striker or alternatively one or even two number 10/in the hole type player/s.

    Not to say Vellios/Assombalonga would be an absolute non-starter as an effective partnership but I think it would be a bit limited and not really aid cohesion between midfield and attack.
    I'll settle for a good manager for now. If forest to be a high quality footballing team , that's for the long haul , not short. Our current squad is nowhere close to being good enough to challenge at the top , way too many average players.


  22. #71

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    I'll settle for a good manager for now. If forest to be a high quality footballing team , that's for the long haul , not short. Our current squad is nowhere close to being good enough to challenge at the top , way too many average players.
    I see what you're saying.

    Ask me who I'd want in those roles I've mentioned and would I have to conjure up imaginary players that I hope the scouting network could pick up cheap....

    But on the other hand there is the saying "start as you mean to go on" which it would be positive to adhere to I think, while building the ethos and cohesion that resulted in those long term improvements. Otherwise when do we start to aim for them? And can we get promotion without them?

    I think, if we are to play football on the ground in a progressive way (as Zola would surely want if the manager was him I think) then the midfield would have to be very good in support of such a striking partnership (with one or both central midfielders active in the final third of the pitch in a quality way more like the 1980's or 1990's style Forest teams - lack of impetus from central midfield with no link player up front either could end up being a bit dis-jointed and turgid even I'd fear).


  23. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    12,998

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Would never write anybody off from a highlights reel. Just said the film was unimpressive. Didn't show much.
    Will judge him if and when he plays for us.


  24. #73
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    14,469

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    I'll settle for a good manager for now. If forest to be a high quality footballing team , that's for the long haul , not short. Our current squad is nowhere close to being good enough to challenge at the top , way too many average players.
    Last manager made them look average to be fair.

    Dont make a single change & we're top ten minimum in the right hands.


  25. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,876

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Trees View Post
    Would never write anybody off from a highlights reel. Just said the film was unimpressive. Didn't show much.
    Will judge him if and when he plays for us.
    could have even been bought to weaken the opposition in Greek league, he could play a part, his wiki page does say he scored every 86 minutes for everton which isnt too bad and blackpool were very poor so you cant hold that against him


  26. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    ROBIN HOOD CITY
    Posts
    2,436

    Default Re: Apostolos Vellios

    The more I think about Vellios the more I think he does seem a pretty big gamble. I'd rather us not take too many risks when signing players as it's where we've made big mistakes in the past. We need our signings to be able to play at the highest level in the championship if we are serious about promotion. In the past we've had plenty of strikers in terms of numbers but in reality the best were injured and the rest were no where near good enough. There's a fine line in championship between us and the top clubs and we have shown we can beat anyone on our day. The main thing is we need to be consistently putting in top performances against everyone in the division, not just occasionally and need a manager, staff and squad all in place who can achieve this. I personally think we need a few solid additions in key positions and would think we'll come up well short if we don't have a couple of strikers who are of a similar standard to Britt up front. We need to get rid of those who don't cut it and have a quality streamlined squad because in the past our 2nd string has been where we've fell well short and it's cost us too often having to rely on players who have performed more like the standard of the bottom of league one.

    Last edited by redanddeadly; 23-06-16 at 13:08.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •