Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of a Evangelos Marinakis takeover / investment?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

67 83.75%
  • NO

13 16.25%
Page 121 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121
Results 3,001 to 3,018 of 3018

Thread: Evangelos Marinakis Megathread!

Default Re: Evangelos Marinakis Megathread!

An almost complete lack of bollocks being spoken on this thread has left me dazed and confused. Have I accidentally wandered into Sanity Street?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    Personally, I will hold off from passing judgement so early.

Before the American deal had even been concluded there were plenty saying the same.

At the beginning of Fawaz's reign there were plenty saying the same.

At the beginning of Doughty's reign there were plenty saying the same.

New regimes are always better than past ones, that's why they've past!
    On actual actions in their first few months at the club Marinakis has already outshone both IMO.

Doughty's early reign was tragicly bad (much like most of it sadly). The second I heard he'd employed Platt as manager I deflated into my pint. Remmber hearing it down the Jug N Glass on a glorious Friday afternoon, and it killed the day. When I then saw some of the signings the fish-faced twat made to the tune of 13m I braced myself for a long, hard road back to better times.

Fawaz's started goodish, but he still invested a fair bit off the bat & a massive "WTF?" moment hit when he sacked SOD. He did some stuff right but there was always a fairly "loose" modus operandi from day 1.

Marinakis has improved the squad whilst making a profit, implemented a structure all round, landed a well-oiled management team which has done well in this league previously and has contacts in the game, maintained a good & professional standard of communication with fans, and done all this with an ethos & style of play in mind too. He's also had the nouse to operate from afar for a season to learn about the club, it's squad, it's fans and what's required.

For me it's absolute night & day between what we've had before & what we have now. I'm sure it won't be perfect, the season card mishap shows that errors will happen. but that's just life. The way in which we are operating now seems to be far more focussed, delibrate, driven & unified.

Time may unravel a few flaws, but if you compare Marinakis' early days with the early days of both previous 2 owners & I think we're doing far more things far better than both.

Last edited by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery; 15-09-17 at 11:13.
    “All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

To be fair our best chairman over the last 10 years was Omar Al Hasaswi.

He wasn't here for very long and got everything right when he was here. When he left it all went to pot. Within a few weeks of him leaving SoD was sacked and it was a downwards spiral since. That whole thing is still bizarre to me, especially because he was a family member.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post

He wasn't here for very long and got everything right when he was here. When he left it all went to pot. Within a few weeks of him leaving SoD was sacked and it was a downwards spiral since. That whole thing is still bizarre to me, especially because he was a family member.
    The bloke who allowed McClaren's wage "structure" to contine unchanged? Yeah, he was fucking brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    The bloke who allowed McClaren's wage "structure" to contine unchanged? Yeah, he was fucking brilliant
    He inhreited a bare squad with a structure, and built a squad with SoD in a couple of weeks and by Christmas we were flirting with the top 6.

The reason a wage structure was ditched was the reason we ended up in such turmoil over the next 4 and a half years.

He inhreited a bare squad with a structure, and built a squad with SoD in a couple of weeks and by Christmas we were flirting with the top 6.

The reason a wage structure was ditched was the reason we ended up in such turmoil over the next 4 and a half years.
    Yeah but Billy Davies would of won the premier league and the world cup with SOD's team

h? that's my point. He inherited a shit wage structure left by McClaren, and did fuck all to change that. So why do you think he was so good, and better than what we have now?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur's Cape View Post
    Yeah but Billy Davies would of won the premier league and the world cup with SOD's team

here's the bit where posters start claiming "Alf can't stop bringing Billy into every thread!" Right after you add him to the thread

Last edited by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery; 15-09-17 at 13:06.

Best served cold

Wage structures are an easy target, but it's the people responsible who are usually at fault for not being clever enough to utilise them.

Both Marthur and Fawaz were incompetent when it came to NFFC - just in different ways.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Personally, I will hold off from passing judgement so early.

Before the American deal had even been concluded there were plenty saying the same.

At the beginning of Fawaz's reign there were plenty saying the same.

At the beginning of Doughty's reign there were plenty saying the same.

New regimes are always better than past ones, that's why they've past!
    Your're right of course to retain a degree of caution before reaching a final judgement on the current owners, but I'd argue that from initial actions, the difference in approach and basic professionalism between them and previous custodians is like night and day.

By the time the 130-year-old committee-run system finally succumbed to constitutional change in the mid-90s, it really was like amateur hour at the CG - a situation that was exploited by certain high-profile individuals within the membership ranks for purely financial reasons.

It's replacement, The Bridgeford (sic) Consortium (with due respect to Phil Soar who's previous good intentions were overridden by others) was essentially a cynical exercise in carpetbagging.

Nigel Doughty, like Soar, another long-time fan with the best of intentions, bizarrely (for such a successful businessman) entrusted the running of the club with someone who, in hindsight, can only be judged as a lazy, ego-driven individual who managed to take it to its lowest point in its entire history.

As for the al-Hasawi regime? Everything that needs to be said has been.

We'll never know about the Americans, but although their plans and proposed recruitment certainly looked good on paper, we as fans were so desperate to see the back of al-Hasawi that any potential buyer with no experience of involvement in football whatsoever could have successfully sold a vision to us.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 15-09-17 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    On actual actions in their first few months at the club Marinakis has already outshone both IMO.

Doughty's early reign was tragicly bad (much like most of it sadly). The second I heard he'd employed Platt as manager I deflated into my pint. Remmber hearing it down the Jug N Glass on a glorious Friday afternoon, and it killed the day. When I then saw some of the signings the fish-faced twat made to the tune of 13m I braced myself for a long, hard road back to better times.

Fawaz's started goodish, but he still invested a fair bit off the bat & a massive "WTF?" moment hit when he sacked SOD. He did some stuff right but there was always a fairly "loose" modus operandi from day 1.

Marinakis has improved the squad whilst making a profit, implemented a structure all round, landed a well-oiled management team which has done well in this league previously and has contacts in the game, maintained a good & professional standard of communication with fans, and done all this with an ethos & style of play in mind too. He's also had the nouse to operate from afar for a season to learn about the club, it's squad, it's fans and what's required.

For me it's absolute night & day between what we've had before & what we have now. I'm sure it won't be perfect, the season card mishap shows that errors will happen. but that's just life. The way in which we are operating now seems to be far more focussed, delibrate, driven & unified.

Time may unravel a few flaws, but if you compare Marinakis' early days with the early days of both previous 2 owners & I think we're doing far more things far better than both.
    All hindsigt Alf. At the time, I remember most fans welcoming Doughty (a true fan with impecible business sense was the general consunus) replacing the fuck-up of Wray. Eric Barnes appointed Platt, although with Doughty's £16m!

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Your're right of course to retain a degree of caution before reaching a final judgement on the current owners, but I'd argue that from initial actions, the difference in approach and basic professionalism between them and previous custodians is like night and day.

By the time the 130-year-old committee-run system finally succumbed to constitutional change in the mid-90s, it really was like amateur hour at the CG - a situation that was exploited by certain high-profile individuals within the membership ranks for purely financial reasons.

It's replacement, The Bridgeford (sic) Consortium (with due respect to Phil Soar who's previous good intentions were overridden by others) was essentially a cynical exercise in carpetbagging.

Nigel Doughty, like Soar, another long-time fan with the best of intentions, bizarrely (for such a successful businessman) entrusted the running of the club with someone who, in hindsight, can only be judged as a lazy, ego-driven individual who managed to take it to its lowest point in its entire history.

As for the al-Hasawi regime? Everything that needs to be said has been.

We'll never know about the Americans, but although their plans and proposed recruitment certainly looked good on paper, we as fans were so desperate to see the back of al-Hasawi that any potential buyer with no experience of involvement in football whatsoever could have successfully sold a vision to us.
    I don't disagree with any of this. It's simply that this point, 4 months in, there's still scope for this to drift wildly from the initial hopes and aspirations that, as you rightly point out came after the committee era. Each of the owenership eras that followed started off with high hopes and moments of fan(tasy) about the future and how the current owner was better than the last, more business savvy, better appointments. bigger TVs, ect. We know how all of them ended.

Best served cold

Nigel Doughty, like Soar, another long-time fan with the best of intentions, bizarrely (for such a successful businessman) entrusted the running of the club with someone who, in hindsight, can only be judged as a lazy, ego-driven chief executive who managed to take it to its lowest point in its entire history.
    Aye. How many times were we unable to invest and had to undergo severe cost cutting to make up for letting the finances get out of control in previous seasons? Not a sign of a well run business.

Under his stewardship the decline was accelerated and cemented. So many of the pivotal moments in our demise can be traced back to his handling of NFFC. Fawaz collected up the ashes and let them get sucked up into a bin lorry.

All hindsigt Alf. At the time, I remember most fans welcoming Doughty (a true fan with impecible business sense was the general consunus) replacing the fuck-up of Wray. Eric Barnes appointed Platt, although with Doughty's £16m!
    Not for me mate. Remember screaming blue murder at Platt's appointment and signings.

The actual actions at the time screamed niavity and I said so back then. The actual actions which we are witnessing now show a good level of profesionalism & game-knowledge, you only have to compare Warbs to Platt & their subsequent signings to see that.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

IIRC, wasn't he appointed chairman because he was the only member of the family who lived most of the time in the UK, overseeing the property business?

I don't recall ever hearing Omar interviewed. His public profile seemed solely to consist of being pictured on the club website welcoming new signings.

Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 15-09-17 at 13:38.

Snowflake

I'm not going to count any chickens just yet but the fact we now have an owner who has actually run a successful football club before is an improvement in itself IMO

IIRC, wasn't he appointed chairman because he was the only member of the family who lived most of the time in the UK, overseeing the property business?

I don't recall ever hearing Omar interviewed. His public profile seemed solely to be being pictured on the club website welcoming new signings.
    Also, I think that the clarity of knowing who's who and who's doing what (within reason) is another thing which emphasises how much better we are than the early Fawaz reign.

Snowflake

You could say that Marinakis has made an 'iconic' start to his time as owner

Last edited by Bangerz; 15-09-17 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangerz View Post
    You could say that Marinakis has made an 'iconic' start to has time as owner