Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Top" Clubs trying to form a super league again?

Who cares Anyway...?

Default Re: "Top" Clubs trying to form a super league again?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Day trippers mate, them and genuine scouse supporters are two different things.... One pays over the top for his ticket, one goes over the top without a ticket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My concern is what classes as a 'big' club? Based on what, finances, attendances or European cups?

Devils favourite advocate

Sky viewing figures

Ex-players on the punditry and sports presenting payroll. It's no coincidence that Leicester are all of a sudden up there and being sucked up to. O'Neill, Manish, Lineker, Claridge and that vain twat that captained Derby to the lowest points ever in the Premier league are evidence of this.

Now JJ has started upping his media profile and Pervy Pleat is back on 5Live we might be on for a revival.

Left Winger

Well, "retro" is cool; they've remade "Ghostbusters" after 30 years so maybe a revival of Forest 84/85 is on the cards?

We were quite good back then.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Its the refs that were dodgy

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    My concern is what classes as a 'big' club? Based on what, finances, attendances or European cups?
    Does it really matter. It's a closed shop. Entry by invitation only.

It can't be success on the pitch. Man City and Arsenal have never won the Champions League, Chelsea have only done it once as have Liverpool since the 1970's.

More likely it is because the owners of these clubs have got motives far wider than 'just the love of their club'.

With Liverpool and Man Utd it's quite simple they have American owners whose primary goal is to mine football for as much profit as possible.

Abramovich and Usmanov made their billions during the fall of communist Russia where less 'decent' business practices were the norm.

Sheik Mansour, part of the political elite back in the UAE, a country fast running out of oil, it's only viable means of income. Needs to develop other income streams for his country.

What they all have in common though is that they are all ruthless enough to not care, They themselves are sheltered from any fall out by their billionaire lifestyles.

Do you stick or do you twist? In or out. If one goes they'll all go.

The idea of a 'European Super League' has been around for decades. It's not something dreamed up by a modern owners cabal.

It's rolled out as a concept with support every few years to test the public (markets), industry (other clubs) and governing bodies reaction. The clubs who fall behind the idea also know the huge risks involved in moving from the concept to a workable and equitable model.

UEFA and FIFA are in a state of flux, particularly since Platini's fall from grace as he was a long term critic of the idea of a super league, and it makes some sense that the elite are testing the boundaries now in the absence of a unified political push back - both organisations have have enough on trying to resolve their leadership issues.

If it ever got to the stage where it looks possible, the game would react. I wouldn't be surprised if UEFA and FIFA threaten all kinds of sanctions, even going as far a to claim there is a breach of some European law. Possible international bans for players involved, exclusion from ever returning to the family, all sorts will be tossed around. That's without the huge reaction from leagues and clubs across Europe.

Premier League clubs also have to factor in to their decision making the massive income received from the EPL TV deals across the world, which are far in excess of some of the clubs wanting in from the other main European leagues, and what these losses would mount up to. I think the top 6 tend to forget that although they are the main draw, global audiences are buying into the league as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post

It can't be success on the pitch. Man City and Arsenal have never won the Champions League, Chelsea have only done it once as have Liverpool since the 1970's.

More likely it is because the owners of these clubs have got motives far wider than 'just the love of their club'.

With Liverpool and Man Utd it's quite simple they have American owners whose primary goal is to mine football for as much profit as possible.

Abramovich and Usmanov made their billions during the fall of communist Russia where less 'decent' business practices were the norm.

Sheik Mansour, part of the political elite back in the UAE, a country fast running out of oil, it's only viable means of income. Needs to develop other income streams for his country.

What they all have in common though is that they are all ruthless enough to not care, They themselves are sheltered from any fall out by their billionaire lifestyles.

Would you go if you were one of them?

Would just be like World Series Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Would you go if you were one of them?
    Man Utd would go in a heartbeat if they thought that the repurcussions would still favour them on their return if it didn't work. Charle Stalliano the chairman of Relevant Sports the US business behind the meeting is good mates with Sir Alex. All about lining one's own pocket.

Went to a World Series match at Kensington Oval. West Indies v Australia. Fredricks was given out LBW to Dennis Lillee whilst batting beautifully. The crowd rioted and threw rubbish on the pitch. A small army of helpers cleared the pitch to get the match restarted, only to discover that Fredricks was not coming back whereupon the crowd rioted again. At that the match was cancelled and everybody went home. Nobody bothered about the result; again just money.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post

Good points other than the fact Man City owners do not need the club for anything other than a plaything. That aside all these clubs would love the American franchise model without relegation and would happily let football turn into a completely soulless sport. Things are bad enough thanks to Sky!

I dont see why it bothers them about relegation in the current league

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Thays no longer the issue, the issue now is missing out on the gravy train that is the chumps league. If any of them, bar city miss out their debt will spiral out of control.

Just a other nail in the coffin for me if shit like that actually happened. I'm already totally disillusioned at how the game is going as I'm sure many are. And that's without considering the car crash that is the Mighty Reds. . . hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    All they want is to copy the American model.

NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS....

Closed leagues, keeping all the money for themselves, no relegation, bollocks to the rest of the league structure and franchises that can - and are - relocated at the whim of their owners at the drop of a hat when they can't screw any more taxpayers' money out of their host city to build them a new luxury stadium.

Football has sold its soul for money.
    You talk about the American model as if it's a failed model and not one of massive success. At what price is a fair argument but they wouldn't consider it if it weren't highly successful!

I think a fair bit of misty-eyed bollocks is being spouted about our credentials as a club with proper fans and not sold out e.t.c. - it's all relative!

Left Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho's Dragon View Post
    You talk about the American model as if it's a failed model and not one of massive success. At what price is a fair argument but they wouldn't consider it if it weren't highly successful!

I think a fair bit of misty-eyed bollocks is being spouted about our credentials as a club with proper fans and not sold out e.t.c. - it's all relative!
    No, you misunderstand me.

The American model works - but in sports that do not have the tradition or history that football (the proper kind) does.

US sports (professional sports) have always been like this.

European football hasn't. And adopting the American model is about one thing - money.

And fuck the real fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho's Dragon View Post

It isn't footie though.

League football has always been about money. That was the very reason for creating it and why the first twelve were the ones chosen. Its said that the reason County were chosen over us was that they were better served by trams than we were, and you can bet that money was the reason that Notts failed to support us being part of the original league. Ever since then the recurring aim has been to increase its profitability.

We have always been slow to react, e.g. adapting to professionalism, shedding the committee structure etc. Even when leagues have changed we have failed and been relegated. The top tier becomes the Premier League. We are there but we get relegated. The second tier rebrands to the Championship we're there and, yes, we get relegated!

FFP is introduced and we go on a spend, spend, spend shopping spree and pay for it with transfer restrictions.

If there is a new european league I would suggest that the home leagues insist that if the teams want to rejoin in the future that them should rejoin down the pyramid in a similar way to Rangers after their bankruptcy, but that would probably give rise to the greedy so and so's wanting to keep a team in the English League too. Those people that don't travel abroad might be tempted to watch the English league games and bring in extra revenue.

Anybody know how to jam the satellite tv feeds?

Wandering around the CG

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Red Till Dead View Post
    Those people that don't travel abroad might be tempted to watch the English league games and bring in extra revenue.

Anybody know how to jam the satellite tv feeds?
    This is it.
    I thought the same then realised maybe not, because there's already a popular culture were football supporters would rather sit in the boozer on Saturday and take in the live games and soccer saturday.
    They get their football fix that way, years back before there were dozens of games on TV we'd travel about to watch a game, like Swagman does. If Forest weren't playing or we couldnt get we'd watch someone else, usually lower leagues.
    I still do it myself to some degree, but ticket prices are ridiculous even at that level and it puts you off.

Nothing can replace being in a football ground at 3pm on a Saturday in my opinion.

Last edited by Bryn Gunn; 05-03-16 at 08:57.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post

Nothing can replace being in a football ground at 12.45 on a Sunday, a late notice Friday evening 7.30 on a Monday night or 4.30 on A SkySuperSunday(c) in my opinion.

Last edited by Flagman; 05-03-16 at 09:46.
    "This statement is false."

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    This is it.
    I thought the same then realised maybe not, because there's already a popular culture were football supporters would rather sit in the boozer on Saturday and take in the live games and soccer saturday.
    They get their football fix that way, years back before there were dozens of games on TV we'd travel about to watch a game, like Swagman does. If Forest weren't playing or we couldnt get we'd watch someone else, usually lower leagues.
    I still do it myself to some degree, but ticket prices are ridiculous even at that level and it puts you off.

Nothing can replace being in a football ground at 3pm on a Saturday in my opinion.
    The new league could move to invest in 3d holographic technology so the teams can show the away games live on their own gound in real time and charge their fans the full prices, but why would they do that when the away games can by charged full cost PPV to fans sitting in their own living rooms? There would probably be lots of people who would pay the price so long as they don't have to leave the sofa. Not everyone loves the ritual of going to the match and the extra time that it takes out of their lives I'm sure.

It would be a sad thing though!

Dancing in the Trent End

I think it's a fantastic idea.

They go and they take all the gloryhunting daytrippers and holiday makers with them. Eventually the interest in us from the worldwide audience loses interest and follows this European super league, and we're left with a game we might actually be able to enjoy again.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    No, you misunderstand me.

The American model works - but in sports that do not have the tradition or history that football (the proper kind) does.

US sports (professional sports) have always been like this.

European football hasn't. And adopting the American model is about one thing - money.

And fuck the real fans.
    I remember sitting in Lefty O'Doul's Bar in San Francisco chatting about sport to an American baseball chap. He couldn't grasp how or why a cricket Test Match can go on for five days and still not end in a result. Also (it was some time ago) FA Cup games were then played to a finish, so if there were three draws, you played a fourth match.

It was great fun throwing in these curious facts about our sporting traditions, we got along splendidly, no doubt helped by lashings of Lefty's beer!