Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Top" Clubs trying to form a super league again?

Default Re: "Top" Clubs trying to form a super league again?

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    Can't help wondering why Liverpoo are being considered in these plans.
    I wonder why Liverpool are considering it.

They throw their toys out of the pram when they are eighth - what will they do when they are 20th of 20 every season?

That said, I'm not convinced it's anything more than bluffing by the clubs involved. This paragraph from the Telegraph is very revealing:

Three years ago, the chairman of Turkish club Galatasaray said Europe’s biggest teams were actively plotting to set up a “closed” competition of the continent’s 20 top sides by 2018.

That was before the Premier League agreed television rights deals worth £8 billion, which are the envy of every other club in Europe.
    So every time they threaten to form a Super League, the broadcasters (who must realise what a disaster this would be) panic and add a few billion to the deal. Not hard to see why they keep setting up these 'secret meetings' we always seem to hear about.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    So every time they threaten to form a Super League, the broadcasters (who must realise what a disaster this would be) panic and add a few billion to the deal. Not hard to see why they keep setting up these 'secret meetings' we always seem to hear about.
    All well and good Alex if we are talking about the traditional broadcasters i.e. Sky, BT, ITV.

As stated these talks are being conducted through a U.S sports management company. This will have nothing to do with the traditional broadcasters. What a coup it would be for e.g. Amazon to be able to take a massive slice of European football heritage and beam it to the four corners of the world.

We've already seen it with Clarkson, Hammond and May fucking off for the Yankee dollar. Don't you think this will go the same way?

Devils favourite advocate

I think thats a cracking thought swaggers

I propose all us fallen giants to create a breakaway league where we all play in 1980's kits and charge 1980's prices.

Criteria for entry is you must tick all the below boxes..

*Big fanbase
    *Been shit for years
    *Still play in same stadium you did in 1980s
    *Will be shit for the foreseeable future.

The league will initially consist of Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday & Wolves. New members are welcome only once they have tread water for 5 years or more in The Championship, have sacked more than 6 manager and can prove they have no long term strategy as a club.

Quote Originally Posted by thehockleyhustler View Post
    I propose all us fallen giants to create a breakaway league where we all play in 1980's kits and charge 1980's prices.

*Big fanbase
    *Been shit for years

The league will initially consist of Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday & Wolves. New members are welcome only once they have tread water for 5 years or more in The Championship, have sacked more than 6 manager and can prove they have no long term strategy as a club.
    Apart from treading water for 5 years in the Championship that's Liverpool to a T and they're being invited to the top table. How does that work?

Better chuck the dirty Blades in there as well. They are shitter than shit.

Quote Originally Posted by thehockleyhustler View Post

*Big fanbase
    *Been shit for years

Dont forget the Villa they're teetering on the edge of the abyss

Apart from treading water for 5 years in the Championship that's Liverpool to a T and they're being invited to the top table. How does that work?

Better chuck the dirty Blades in there as well. They are shitter than shit.
    I never want to play the Scouse again. They can take their carnival of grief on tour in Europe and see how much sympathy they get in the Belgian and Italian media.

Wandering around the CG

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Its gonna get worse as well once their new stand is done apparently as the catering will go inhouse. He said it was rammed as well so if folk keep paying it they will cobtinue charging it.

One of his clients is london based with his own business based just outside liverpool. They needed to have a meeting so enquired about going halves on a box for 10 of them for the liverpool spurs game, they were quoted 11 grand for the one game. To put that into context i do believe you can get a box at ours for the season for 11 grand plus vat for 8 people.
    They gonna start selling a 'pan of scouse' in-house? THE FUCKING IRONY.
    Peasant food, throw anything left in the cupboards in a pan. Poverty being marketed as local culture. My god.
    Then charge the wealthy/day tripper/dimwit a decent sum of money to experience it, haha.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Akbah View Post
    I never want to play the Scouse again. They can take their carnival of grief on tour in Europe and see how much sympathy they get in the Belgian and Italian media.
    Fantastic post.

Left Winger

Bang on Alan. Brilliant.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    They gonna start selling a 'pan of scouse' in-house? THE FUCKING IRONY.
    Peasant food, throw anything left in the cupboards in a pan. Poverty being marketed as local culture. My god.
    Then charge the wealthy/day tripper/dimwit a decent sum of money to experience it, haha.
    Exactly, my mate was pretty disgusted but he didnt pay so couldnt really complain.... But in his words "folk dive over themselves to pay it"

All well and good Alex if we are talking about the traditional broadcasters i.e. Sky, BT, ITV.

As stated these talks are being conducted through a U.S sports management company. This will have nothing to do with the traditional broadcasters. What a coup it would be for e.g. Amazon to be able to take a massive slice of European football heritage and beam it to the four corners of the world.

We've already seen it with Clarkson, Hammond and May fucking off for the Yankee dollar. Don't you think this will go the same way?
    It wouldn't be a massive slice of European football heritage. It would be a plastic farce that no one from football's traditional fan base would take seriously (or, it follows, pay to watch). Football 'staged' with the supposed best players in the world taking part in the 'biggest game ever' every single week beamed to an exclusive minority of TV viewers will flop because it will lose the novelty factor of a meeting between big European sides and the prestige of a historic competition, just as the Top Gear format will be a damp squib on commercial TV where we know they'll skirting around the advertisers (or more likely deliberately name-dropping them in a 'controversial' manner) and the stunts will no longer have that BBC budget charm.

If the plan is genuine and not just a scheme to scare Sky and BT into paying even more for Premier League rights, I hope someone at each of these clubs has the business sense to realise it's a bad idea, for them and football in general.

The self proclaimed "Champions League", I suppose "European TV Money Funded Come Fourth If You're English Cup" didn't have the same ring about it, became a plastic farce long ago Alex.

The whole format is designed to keep a small clique in clover. The novelty wore off when it formed.

I genuinely don't care if this lot breakaway and become a metaphorical she-wee to channel cash out of the far east viewing market. You never know we might start seeing a few more Forest shirts and few less Man City shirts around the Victoria Centre as people switch back on to the real thing.

Could go either way, i kind of hope it happens, goes tits up and then the FA tell them to jog on

Left Winger

All they want is to copy the American model.

NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS....

Closed leagues, keeping all the money for themselves, no relegation, bollocks to the rest of the league structure and franchises that can - and are - relocated at the whim of their owners at the drop of a hat when they can't screw any more taxpayers' money out of their host city to build them a new luxury stadium.

Football has sold its soul for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Could go either way, i kind of hope it happens, goes tits up and then the FA tell them to jog on
    That'll be the FA who were happy for Man Utd to drop the FA Cup for one season due to their own self interests. Not going to happen.

Top clubs hold a meeting that is that 'secret' they were photographed leaving the Dorchester together(?) The meeting was held to discuss a pre-season international club tournament.

The power of the elite clubs has never been greater when you consider the huge amounts of revenue they generate and the political turmoil currently at both UEFA and FIFA. I believe this particular issue has been thrown out there to create leverage for other demands i.e. changes to the Champions League format. Wild-cards for past winners who don't automatically qualify being the one bandied around at the moment.

If I was the business lead of a top Premier League side, what with the uncertainty in the game at the moment and pending threats from China and other markets, I'd be looking at every opportunity and risk and trying to make my own sense of it. It might be considered negligent not to.

Left Winger

If you're Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea et al, that potentially untapped Asian market of nigh-on half a billion potential "supporters" is a vast vat of cash, just waiting to be liberated.

That'll be the FA who were happy for Man Utd to drop the FA Cup for one season due to their own self interests. Not going to happen.
    True, but cant we just dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It wouldn't be a massive slice of European football heritage. It would be a plastic farce that no one from football's traditional fan base would take seriously (or, it follows, pay to watch). Football 'staged' with the supposed best players in the world taking part in the 'biggest game ever' every single week beamed to an exclusive minority of TV viewers
    They won't be aiming it at the traditional supporters though, will they?

The European market, your traditional supporters, population approx. 750 million.

China alone, their new global supporters, 1.35 billion. Chuck in North America and the rest of the Far East and there would be a massive potential global audience.

They won't be aiming it at the traditional supporters though, will they?

The European market, your traditional supporters, population approx. 750 million.

China alone, their new global supporters, 1.35 billion. Chuck in North America and the rest of the Far East and there would be a massive potential global audience.
    Foreign players, foreign "supporters", foreign owners. They'll be playing to match foreign time zones before you know it.

Soulless franchise football. I'll stick to taking the brat to the City Ground thank you.

Foreign players, foreign "supporters", foreign owners. They'll be playing to match foreign time zones before you know it.

Soulless franchise football. I'll stick to taking the brat to the City Ground thank you.
    Lunchtime kickoff in this country equals prime time viewing in Asia.

One of the things that stinks the most about our clubs whoring themselves around Asia is the complete disregard they have for any league structure in those countries. Chinese clubs signing players for vast sums of money is now a reality, I think that has the Premier League more worried than they are letting on, if all the top stars choose to go to China or India we'll be back in the 1980s all over again. Good for the remaining 86 league clubs, bad for the top 6.

^^ Until Social Services do me for child cruelty I will anyway

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Lunchtime kickoff in this country equals prime time viewing in Asia.

One of the things that stinks the most about our clubs whoring themselves around Asia is the complete disregard they have for any league structure in those countries. Chinese clubs signing players for vast sums of money is now a reality, I think that has the Premier League more worried than they are letting on, if all the top stars choose to go to China or India we'll be back in the 1980s all over again. Good for the remaining 86 league clubs, bad for the top 6.
    Back to the 80s. I can think of worse times

Who cares Anyway...?

Let the Scouse into Europe permanently and they'll make Das Reich Division's record on mass killing look trivial