Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 301 to 318 of 318

Thread: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

      
  1. #301

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Yeah, I remember that one. They almost beat us the week after we put seven past Sheffield Wednesday too.

    Looking at the head-to-head, we've beaten West Ham twice in the last 21 league games, going back to the mid-eighties. In both those seasons we did beat them, we were relegated. No good ever comes of playing of West Ham in the league.

    Last time I saw Forest play West Ham, it was Cotterill v Allardyce at Upton Park and half my face froze and didn't work again for three months.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #302
    The Wand!
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sat on the fence
    Posts
    16,257

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Francescoli (on loan) View Post
    Yeah, I remember that one. They almost beat us the week after we put seven past Sheffield Wednesday too.

    Looking at the head-to-head, we've beaten West Ham twice in the last 21 league games, going back to the mid-eighties. In both those seasons we did beat them, we were relegated. No good ever comes of playing of West Ham in the league.

    Last time I saw Forest play West Ham, it was Cotterill v Allardyce at Upton Park and half my face froze and didn't work again for three months.
    One of them times was under King Billy wasn't it? #inbeforealf


  4. #303

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    One of them times was under King Billy wasn't it? #inbeforealf
    Nah. That was in the cup against West Ham U13s.


  5. #304

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Didnt we beat West ham the game after clough died?
    Yeah, those goals came from nowhere. Got relegated didn't we. Beat them under Pearce in the PL at Upton Park during our a purple patch, but hardly won again all season.


  6. #305

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    The naming rights is the next thing they get their mits on. Man City negotiated those for Commonwealth Stadium in Manchester for a few extra quid to do a ridiculously good deal and ensure none of it went to the council.

    The stuff in there about there not being enough food outlets or toilets is wrong. You can't move for them. The problem I guess, is football segregation. At athletics you can hang about outside the stadium where there's loads of space for the food trucks they have going half way around. You can do a lap of the whole stadium. Watch the athletes on the warm up track.

    You can queue for a beer at the ends, and have a great view of the track whilst your queuing. Big screen right there too, you can even stay there and drink whilst you watch the sport. All these things whilst the stadium is sold out. North American stadiums I've been to that host American football have this at the ends too. Its great view, food and drink, screen too, no rush returning to your seat.

    With football they won't allow you to freely walk about. They need you to go to your block and stay there. I imagine they shut even gate they can. That'd limits you to the catering in your block. I'd bet they shut every gate and there is no walking outside the stadium. Obviously no standing and drinking whilst watching the game. All the best things about being a spectator at that stadium aren't really posdible with football.

    Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 13-12-17 at 22:02.

  7. #306
    The Wand!
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sat on the fence
    Posts
    16,257

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Nah. That was in the cup against West Ham U13s.
    Ah of course, the Cup means nothing anymore.

    *forks out £25 for the Arsenal game*


  8. #307
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,369

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    We beat the fuckers 4-0 in the fa cup semi so fuck em


  9. #308
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,919

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    All that could have been sorted if they had just had an idea what to do with it after the 2 week festival was finished back in 2012.

    I still find it crazy there was no thought of "well what shall we do with it when its done?"
    You only have to look at almost every Olympic city of the last 30 years to know there is no plan after the games have finished.

    Most stadiums stand in ruins now. So much for the Olympic legacy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


  10. #309

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    All that could have been sorted if they had just had an idea what to do with it after the 2 week festival was finished back in 2012.

    I still find it crazy there was no thought of "well what shall we do with it when its done?"
    The pool and the velodrome are in use. Seem to be doing well. We don't have a lot of Olympic-sized pools. London needed a velodrome, and there's the the bike track outside. The old velodrome at Herne Hill was in a state of disrepair. I imagine the watersports centre at Lea Valley is justifiable. We didn't have any facilities as good. We do need to invest in sports facilities, Olympics or not.

    The shopping centre was built as part of the Olympic development of Stratford. And it is chocka everyday - I get dragged there against my will occasionally. Food court is good, I'm happy to hide out there at least. The village is lived in, not sure it is affordable housing, nothing is. Everything else was temporary. The park will get built on over the years no doubt, but in the summer it's nice area. I run through there along the canals people are sat out in the sun. They've had gigs in the park as well as the stadium. Personally I regularly run races there - they've been in the park, on the track, on the bike track. My sister did a swimming event last month. That's just our interest, there's a load of stuff going on. It's not growing tumbleweed.

    Not sure what they are complaining about the transport for. They've only got two tube lines, the DLR, trains, C2C, bus station, Eurostar. There's a bit of walk from station to the stadium, but if they are moaning about it that is probably just what they need. If you don't know which way out to take leaving the stadium you tend to get funnelled into a frustrating queue for the station, but that's definietly not a reason to lament leaving the Boleyn Ground - did you ever try taking public transport after a match at Upton Park? The last time I was there we ended up walking all the way to Statford for a train anyway.

    The original plan was to convert the stadium into a 30k capacity athletics stadium. British Athletics needed a new home too, Crystal Palace was ragged. They could have shared that with Leyton Orient. That would have worked. Though, as somebody who goes to Diamond League athletics and was at the World Champs, I'm sort of glad they didn't shrink it down that much.

    IOC wanted the Olympics to go back to London. They struggle for bidders as cities know they can't afford it. Rio was a mistake. Paris and LA just agreed on who got 24 and who got 28 and then it was done, because there was nobody else throwing their name in the hat. London already has the international crowds before anybody travels.

    Similarly with the World Champs, following the internatioal coverage you heard plenty of calls for London to be a permanent home of the championships - or at least one of three or four on rotation. They are every two years, and it is not like football with full stadiums guaranteed everywhere - it depends where they go as to what the crowds are like. London guarantees sell outs and record ticket sales and the sport needs it. Same for the Para World Champs, it's not British athletes it international athletes giving interviews saying the champs show be back there every time. A real shame if these events don't travel around the world - that's ideal. But if it works, there's was a strong argument to have made the stadium a permanent championship home. You'd need the say so from international governing bodies...but as Seb is head of the IAAF.

    You've had the All Blacks playing there in the rugby World Cup. I'm looking forward to seeing cricket there. It's a venue for 2019 cricket World Cup - England v Australia and India v Pakistan are apparently going there. Some records for cricket crowds will go there. There will be T20 team based there for the City league starting in 2020.

    It's the multi-billion Premier League getting a freebie which irks. Paying loose change, vandalising the place with West Ham branding, complaining about the seats not being close enough because there's space for a track in the way. You wait until they've been bought out Chelsea/Man City/PSG style, have a growing season ticket waiting list constantly added to with every new starter in Canary Wharf and they start re-building the stadium back up to an 80k capacity millions were spent reducing it from.

    Last edited by Enzo Francescoli (on loan); 14-12-17 at 07:21.

  11. #310
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    65,228

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    You only have to look at almost every Olympic city of the last 30 years to know there is no plan after the games have finished.

    Most stadiums stand in ruins now. So much for the Olympic legacy.
    Francis will probably correct me as he’s more knowledgable about this stuff but off the top of my head, I can only think of the Munich Olympiastadion, the LA Coliseum and the one in Moscow that are still in regular use?

    "It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

  12. #311

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Francis will probably correct me as he’s more knowledgable about this stuff but off the top of my head, I can only think of the Munich Olympiastadion, the LA Coliseum and the one in Moscow that are still in regular use?
    Does the Munich stadium still have a tennant? Moscow doesn't now. The dome in Montreal had a baseball team and a CFL team (I thought the Alouettes played there - but apparently not any more) , still going but has been without a tennant for a couple of years. Tokyo have rebuilt on the same site they used for 1964. I think these might be a case of a stadium getting old as any do, rather than being white elephants. They were lived in whilst they were modern enough.

    Some of the older stadiums are still used. Looks like a football team uses the Olympic Stadium in Mexico City.

    Berlin of course. I think they modernised that and kept what they could of the old from the outside really well - I wish Wembley could have been more like that. Wembley itself is an Olympic Stadium (or a stadium re-built on the site of an Olympic stadium), though obviously not purpose buiilt. Like the Maracana is now.

    There's the MCG - cricket, AFL - superb successful stadium.

    Stadio Olympico - Roma and Lazio.

    Helsinki hosted the athletics World Champs fifty years after the Olympics and hosts international football too.

    LA Coliseum has college football.

    The stadium for Seoul looks like it became a bit redundant once Korea built new stadia for the World Cup.

    The Braves played at the converted Atlanta Olympic Stadium until last year.

    It's the Athens Olympic Park and Greece's financial struggles since that are always held up as the reason nobody should want to host the Olympics, but it is not always such a tale of woe.

    The Birdnest in Beijing is being used for the Winter Olympics in four years, but it was show of economic power so building a white elephant wasn't a worry.

    Last edited by Enzo Francescoli (on loan); 14-12-17 at 07:58.

  13. #312
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    65,228

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    The Olympiastadion in München is currently used for several different purposes, including athletics and as a concert venue. Coldplay played a big open air gig there earlier this year.

    There’s no regular football tenant anymore since F.C. Bayern and 1860 München both decamped to the Allianz Arena in 2005.


  14. #313

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Francescoli (on loan) View Post
    Does the Munich stadium still have a tennant? Moscow doesn't now. The dome in Montreal had a baseball team and a CFL team (I thought the Alouettes played there - but apparently not any more) , still going but has been without a tennant for a couple of years. Tokyo have rebuilt on the same site they used for 1964. I think these might be a case of a stadium getting old as any do, rather than being white elephants. They were lived in whilst they were modern enough.

    Some of the older stadiums are still used. Looks like a football team uses the Olympic Stadium in Mexico City.

    Berlin of course. I think they modernised that and kept what they could of the old from the outside really well - I wish Wembley could have been more like that. Wembley itself is an Olympic Stadium (or a stadium re-built on the site of an Olympic stadium), though obviously not purpose buiilt. Like the Maracana is now.

    There's the MCG - cricket, AFL - superb successful stadium.

    Stadio Olympico - Roma and Lazio.

    Helsinki hosted the athletics World Champs fifty years after the Olympics and hosts international football too.

    LA Coliseum has college football.

    The stadium for Seoul looks like it became a bit redundant once Korea built new stadia for the World Cup.

    The Braves played at the converted Atlanta Olympic Stadium until last year.

    It's the Athens Olympic Park and Greece's financial struggles since that are always held up as the reason nobody should want to host the Olympics, but it is not always such a tale of woe.

    The Birdnest in Beijing is being used for the Winter Olympics in four years, but it was show of economic power so building a white elephant wasn't a worry.
    I think Turner field is going to be turned into a CFB stadium soon.

    The Rams currently play at the L.A. Coliseum, I was there the day after they got the confirmation. Very exciting.


  15. #314
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    13,188

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Could this be another step towards West Ham ground sharing with Millwall?
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42339546

    Oh what joy that would be if it happened.


  16. #315
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    65,228

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    Could this be another step towards West Ham ground sharing with Millwall?
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42339546

    Oh what joy that would be if it happened.
    If you’ve followed the story about Millwall FC and Lewisham Council over the last couple of years, there is something that drastically stinks about the whole project.

    The council and the third-party involved (Renewal) have the sort of links that should be raising eyebrows and attracting serious oversight and investigation from government.

    Barney Ronay has written a series of excellent articles on the subject for the Guardian, well worth seeking out and reading.

    Lewisham Council have not come out of that at all well, and it looks for all the world like a land-grab to force the football club out of the borough, which would allegedly benefit several individuals very handsomely indeed.


  17. #316
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    13,188

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    If you’ve followed the story about Millwall FC and Lewisham Council over the last couple of years, there is something that drastically stinks about the whole project.

    The council and the third-party involved (Renewal) have the sort of links that should be raising eyebrows and attracting serious oversight and investigation from government.

    Barney Ronay has written a series of excellent articles on the subject for the Guardian, well worth seeking out and reading.

    Lewisham Council have not come out of that at all well, and it looks for all the world like a land-grab to force the football club out of the borough, which would allegedly benefit several individuals very handsomely indeed.
    Correct me if I am wrong but it appears Lewisham Council is comprised of 53 Labour Councillors and 1 Green.

    I thought only those wicked Tories who engaged in such shenanigans?

    This sounds like T.Dan Smith all over again.


  18. #317
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    65,228

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but it appears Lewisham Council is comprised of 53 Labour Councillors and 1 Green.

    I thought only those wicked Tories who engaged in such shenanigans?

    This sounds like T.Dan Smith all over again.
    It’s more a case of suspicious activities surrounding former Council officials who now seem to be linked to the property developer interested in the land in Lewisham, who seem to see the football club as a major inconvenience.

    As I say, go and read Barney Ronay’s series of articles. He did a fantastic job digging up the subject.


  19. #318
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    13,188

    Default Re: West Ham's Dodgy Olympic Stadium Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    It’s more a case of suspicious activities surrounding former Council officials who now seem to be linked to the property developer interested in the land in Lewisham, who seem to see the football club as a major inconvenience.

    As I say, go and read Barney Ronay’s series of articles. He did a fantastic job digging up the subject.
    Thanks Chris, I have just a look at his previous articles along with some fan comments, and this has got "T.Dan Smith again" written all over it. Not good at all.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •