Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

      
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,212

    Default What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    There's a lot of stick being brandished in DF's direction for his tactics and team selection from the first two games, but I'm curious to know what would these critics have done instead to have ensured success?

    Please enlighten me.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tied up in Nottz, with a z you c**t
    Posts
    603

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Manuel Neuer
    Philipp Lahm (c)
    Jérôme Boateng
    Mats Hummels
    Benedikt Höwedes
    Christoph Kramer
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    Toni Kroos
    Thomas Müller
    Messi
    Suarez


  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wits' End
    Posts
    6,058

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Anything with Antonio in it, they were shit scared of him. He would have scored 10.


  5. #4
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    59,044

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Antonio

    Antonio
    Antonio
    Antonio
    Antonio

    Antonio
    Antonio
    Antonio
    Antonio

    Antonio
    Antonio

    "It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,212

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by ZapBrannigan View Post
    Manuel Neuer
    Philipp Lahm (c)
    Jérôme Boateng
    Mats Hummels
    Benedikt Höwedes
    Christoph Kramer
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    Toni Kroos
    Thomas Müller
    Messi
    Suarez
    Three in midfield and no Ronaldo? How negative and uninspiring! Not good enough for Nottingham Forest!


  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    I saw nothing wrong with his tactics. I saw the problem being individual mistakes and lack of creativity.

    The only thing I would have done differently was not pick Mancienne in DM.


  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tied up in Nottz, with a z you c**t
    Posts
    603

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    Three in midfield and no Ronaldo? How negative and uninspiring! Not good enough for Nottingham Forest!
    I'm resting him for Rotherham


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    I wouldnt have started de vries, licaj, fox, hobbs, mancienne or ward. They appear to be in dougies first team. I dont care what happens against walsall so I wouldve given a whole new side a go, tell them all its a chance to impress. Hope someone does impress and it gives a new option for the weekend. I wouldve lost too, I wouldve been slated just the same, but hopefully i could come away and say "player x played well, maybe i should be considering him instead of player y". I think dougie did this to an extent, and hopefully he did come away with a new idea.

    -------------Evtimov------------
    Riera--Wilson--U21/U18--Mclauglin
    --------Vaughan---Grant---------
    Burke-------Paterson--------Burke
    --------------Walker-------------


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,212

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Anything with Antonio in it, they were shit scared of him. He would have scored 10.
    I think it's reasonable to rest your best player against lower league opposition in the first round of the capital one cup and bring him off the bench should he be needed. Which is what he did. And it worked. Sort of.


  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Sox View Post
    I think dougie did this to an extent, and hopefully he did come away with a new idea.
    I think Dougie learnt more last night than he did in his previous couple of months he has been here. Not only some of the younger players like Walker & O. Burke did particularly well, but some of the players had their last chance with him by the sounds of it.


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,212

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Sox View Post
    I wouldnt have started de vries, licaj, fox, hobbs, mancienne or ward. They appear to be in dougies first team. I dont care what happens against walsall so I wouldve given a whole new side a go, tell them all its a chance to impress. Hope someone does impress and it gives a new option for the weekend. I wouldve lost too, I wouldve been slated just the same, but hopefully i could come away and say "player x played well, maybe i should be considering him instead of player y". I think dougie did this to an extent, and hopefully he did come away with a new idea.

    -------------Evtimov------------
    Riera--Wilson--U21/U18--Mclauglin
    --------Vaughan---Grant---------
    Burke-------Paterson--------Burke
    --------------Walker-------------
    See criticism Pearce received for playing a young side last season when we got knocked out...


  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    See criticism Pearce received for playing a young side last season when we got knocked out...
    I supported that decision by pearce. I know my idea wouldve been slated by fans, but its what I think shouldve been done.


  14. #13

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    I'd not have wasted months chasing a keeper & striker, and targeted a DM and LB instead then fielded them with instructions to pass the ball.


    I'd also still have Lars here and have started him & Walker up top.

    Last edited by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery; 12-08-15 at 11:58.
    “All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-Hasawi View Post
    I'd not have wasted months chasing a keeper & striker, and targeted a DM and LB instead then fielded them with instructions to pass the ball.


    I'd also still have Lars here and have started him & Walker up top.
    We have a fucking left back. He needs international clearance. We also have to be patient if we want Gardner, which I assume is what's happening. I don't see the issue with this.


  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    16,606

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Edit: insert ironic comment

    Last edited by tropix; 12-08-15 at 13:23.

  17. #16
    Miserable bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Location, Location.
    Posts
    17,610

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Whoever Fawaz told me to pick.


  18. #17

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    We have a fucking left back. He needs international clearance. We also have to be patient if we want Gardner, which I assume is what's happening. I don't see the issue with this.
    I'd have got them in earlier. Not pissed about with loans like Akpom last season. Kept blooding Lars& Walker instead.

    Dougie may be making the right moves in terms of targets, but timing's just as important. That's why I won't call for him sacked, because he deserves things to shape like he wants, he just should have prioritzed differently.

    And what his excuse is for not being able to get one player to pass to another though I don't know.

    Last edited by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery; 12-08-15 at 12:51.

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wits' End
    Posts
    6,058

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    There's a lot of stick being brandished in DF's direction for his tactics and team selection from the first two games, but I'm curious to know what would these critics have done instead to have ensured success?

    Please enlighten me.

    I take it the inference here is that Freedman couldnt do any more on the night?

    Truth is its Freedmans job to ensure Nottingham Forest turn up to a game armed with a plan. He has proved to be fairly limited in his counter attacking approach to date, & he continues to plough on regardless of its impotence & regardless of its losing record. Last night he sent us out to play some football & that fell on its arse to the point we were schooled by a League one side in the art of simple team play.

    We dont have a single cohesive method of play to bring to a game, preferring to rely on individuals!

    Its not the shape or the selections that are the issue. Its the fact we dont have any plan to bring to the table, let alone a plan B.


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,475

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    I would have played Grant, Evtimov, Lansbury and Riera from the start, dropped Ward (because we know hes decent, but hes also injury prone), Fox (because hes shite), Wilson and DDV, gone 4-3-3 from the start:

    Code:
             Evtimov
    
    Riera, Hobbs, Mancienne, Lichaj
    
             Vaughan
    
         Lansbury, Grant
    
    C. Burke               Paterson
    
               Walker



  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,212

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    I take it the inference here is that Freedman couldnt do any more on the night?

    Truth is its Freedmans job to ensure Nottingham Forest turn up to a game armed with a plan. He has proved to be fairly limited in his counter attacking approach to date, & he continues to plough on regardless of its impotence & regardless of its losing record. Last night he sent us out to play some football & that fell on its arse to the point we were schooled by a League one side in the art of simple team play.

    We dont have a single cohesive method of play to bring to a game, preferring to rely on individuals!

    Its not the shape or the selections that are the issue. Its the fact we dont have any plan to bring to the table, let alone a plan B.
    Freedman changed it after the Brighton game and set us up in a diamond, which is a formation used to dominate posession through the middle. He brought Paterson in and dropped Antonio who would be the 1st name on teamsheet if we were playing the same system as at the Amex.

    I see that as evidence that he did have a plan and that he isn't as one dimensional as I first thought. Unfortunately this experiment was a total disaster because we don't have the players or the confidence to keep the ball. Instead we were exposed on the flanks and conceded soft goals because of poor defending.

    You're right that I am inferring something with the thread. Mainly I'd like to know why people think Grant would have been a better option in midfield alongside Vaughan. I can't agree with that because Grant is an attacking midfielder who wants to play where Paterson did. It would have been equally insane. And would Lichaj have had a better night if he was played out of position at left back instead of Fox? I doubt it.

    I think people should be a bit less harsh and understand the challenges that the manager has at the moment with injuries and the embargo. To me a lot of his decisions make sense when you consider the circumstances.


  22. #21
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart/Ruddington/Airport
    Posts
    59,044

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    My biggest gripe with last night - apart from the ever-hapless Danny Fox, who I've given up on - was the insistence on playing both Vaughan and Mancienne in the same side.

    Both essentially played the same position, got in each other's way, and spent most of the match just nervously passing the ball to one another.

    Utterly pointless, especially against Walsall.

    We may has we'll have played with nine men.


  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,539

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    It's only the league cup, the F.A Cup is far more important and I'd rather us be in that then dwell on last nights utter shambles, but for the sake of conversation..

    Etimov

    Mancienne Mills Hobbs Lichaj

    Vaughan

    Antonio Lansbury C.Burke

    Paterson

    Walker



  24. #23
    Miserable bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Location, Location.
    Posts
    17,610

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    I think people should be a bit less harsh and understand the challenges that the manager has at the moment with injuries and the embargo. To me a lot of his decisions make sense when you consider the circumstances.
    I...sort of agree...he's on a hiding to nothing due to having a hotch-potch of players, largely assembled by our ever-growing ensemble of ex-managers, who, whilst undoubtedly possesing good individual skills, don't seem to fit together effectively in any system that we play, due to our lack of cohesive direction ever since Fawaz took charge, landing us with a bunch of incompatible skill-sets and, worse, a collection of personalities that don't get on with each other. All this being compounded by the transfer embargo making it largely impossible to remove and replace the components that aren't working.

    Mind you, he doesn't exactly help himself by insisting on systems and tactics that the players don't buy into.


  25. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,266

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    See criticism Pearce received for playing a young side last season when we got knocked out...
    Arguably our best performance last season, but was away at a Premier league club. Pato, Osborne, Grant, Vaughn looked great in midfield. Walsall at home should have been easy in comparison, especially considering Walker was playing instead of Lars..


  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wits' End
    Posts
    6,058

    Default Re: What side would have YOU put out against Walsall??

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post

    I see that as evidence that he did have a plan and that he isn't as one dimensional as I first thought. Unfortunately this experiment was a total disaster because we don't have the players or the confidence to keep the ball. Instead we were exposed on the flanks and conceded soft goals because of poor defending.



    I understand the merits of a diamond, but it had the look of something that was unveiled to the players on the night. Like you say we dont have the players to keep the ball. I understand there are always extenuating circumstances during the game, but alot of what we are doing looks totally ad-lib.

    Surely the manager must take full responsibility for bringing players, systems & tactics together in order to present something cohesive on the night?

    Why have we consistently had the look of 11 individuals under Dougie? After 20 games and a preseason?

    Last edited by MASE; 12-08-15 at 15:27.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •