Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Fox

Default Danny Fox

I'm not a fan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Footy Manager Researcher

Default Re: Danny Fox

At fault for one goal tonight at least....

I think Danny Fox' fan club in Nottingham has reported dwindling membership recently, yes.

Im not a fan of Fox, but the dip in Lichaj form suggests to me Freedmans theory of allowing crosses we cant defend is counterproductive.

Im not sure either full back is finding it easy to stand off their man. Lichaj is clearly not happy judging by the 5 minute up & downer he had with Wilson after half time.

Fox had a part in all four goals.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyBala View Post
    With an assist rate like that, he should be a no. 10

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyBala View Post
    Lichaj has been SO much worse this season so far, yet Fox is just the easy blame.

I'm not sure it's even a case of scapegoating with people now, on Twitter people seem to just go along with the crowd in blaming Fox. I even asked someone who was ranting against him last night if they even went to the game/listened to it, and their response was "no, but it's bound to be Fox".

Yes he is at fault for a large portion of our defensive errors, but the whole defence is to blame, not just him.

Left Winger

I detest him that much, I'm not even arsed anymore.

Utterly incompetent.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

We have two international full backs who have pl experience and fox, championship winning experience. CAN YOU NOT SEE THE PROBLEM LIES ELSEWHERE?

Samuel

To be fair, if we were as narrow as people say then I find it hard to blame a full back.

We over rely on our wingers as the focus for attack, leaving our full backs exposed as they don't track back.

Players seem to have been told to back off and not close down the opposition on the flanks.

Our playing style allows the opposition huge amounts of possession allowing huge waives of attacks left, right and centre

Clearly the players morale and confidence is really low. They are to blame in this regard- but can you really blame someone who probably feels under the cosh every game?!

The 'game' has moved on from the one dimensional style of wing play or focusing on one style of play. Imo I'm no expert, but I have seen a shift in style towards what would call complete football. The players would play as a team, allowing for covering each position. Unfortunately this means the beast and the other winger (Burke, ward et al) MUST track back and help with defensive duties and vice versa; the full backs must help out in attack.

Lichaj doesn't stand off. You can see for the first 2 goals, he doesn't stand off. The first one the guy simply gets a decent cross in despite Lichaj being right up to him.

Now let's be realistic, not every full back stops every cross.

The problem for the first goal is the cross beats the keeper and both centre backs before even reaching Fox, who stops and watches a forward run right past him for a tap in.

The second goal, Lichaj again goes to close his man down, who simply passes it on. There's no mistake there. You may also notice the starting point for both full backs is a long way inside, next to the centre backs, meaning they have to travel along way to get to the wide players. This gives the wide players time and space to get the ball, turn and start running. We have seen Lichaj is very good at getting upto his man before the ball is even there and not letting him turn and run. He can't do this if he is so far inside.

And again for the 2nd goal we see Fox let the same player ghost in behind him. I seem to remember a game away at QPR when Fox was on loan, one of his first games for us, where he did the exact same thing.

Now, why exactly are the full backs tucked in so far when we're playing a DM? That is what doesn't make sense to me. We are making a little shield in the middle of the box of 5 players and yet we've already seen in both games that teams will just go down the sides and put shots/crosses in. You don't need 5 defenders to mark or stop 2 forwards and the full backs don't need to be that far in, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Lichaj has been SO much worse this season so far, yet Fox is just the easy blame.

I'm not sure it's even a case of scapegoating with people now, on Twitter people seem to just go along with the crowd in blaming Fox. I even asked someone who was ranting against him last night if they even went to the game/listened to it, and their response was "no, but it's bound to be Fox".

Yes he is at fault for a large portion of our defensive errors, but the whole defence is to blame, not just him.
    I agree that Lichaj has been suprisingly awful so far despite being largely very good last season. Probably our best defender last season. Not sure what's going on with him.

Samuel

The problem with the first two goals is the winger having freedom of our half because we've got no covering winger and Lichaj has to stay in line with everyone else because we'll only defend our box.

Wingers with momentum are horribly difficult to defend against.

Seen the words 'tactically inept' today. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post

You cannot seriously be defending that joke of a professional.

If I were Lichaj I'd be insulted by that. He's been poor but to say he is just as bad as Danny Fox is so unfair on any professional footballer at this level.

I think I'd prefer Nicky Eaden at LB!

Until we get a bit of intelligence added to our tactical approach I can't see anything changing soon. Other teams are passing us by playing more expansive football. It's sad to see. In true forest style we single out and scapegoat individuals when a cumulative ineffective tactical approach is actually to blame.

The only way we can win with our current set up is if we ride our luck and the opposition don't take their chances and then we rely on individual brilliance to get a result. That system will work in 10% of games and I feel that will be the net result of this season.

He hasn't hit form with us yet as a left back....still waiting

He's no centre back either, though possibly better there, but that's not saying much

Quote Originally Posted by WillE View Post
    Until we get a bit of intelligence added to our tactical approach I can't see anything changing soon. Other teams are passing us by playing more expansive football. It's sad to see. In true forest style we single out and scapegoat individuals when a cumulative ineffective tactical approach is actually to blame.

The only way we can win with our current set up is if we ride our luck and the opposition don't take their chances and then we rely on individual brilliance to get a result. That system will work in 10% of games and I feel that will be the net result of this season.
    There are 10 adequate players out there, some talented ones on the bench too.

This isn't about blaming any one player, it's about stating the obvious about a really, really poor player who keeps getting game time.

The manager is not right IMO, we have issues there too but Fox is a farce and his departure is well over a year overdue.

Default Danny Fox

I don't disagree that the performances of our full backs hasn't been good enough

Miserable bastard

Danny Fox is the greatest Left back in the history of this club.

He's not a footballer, never mind a left back.

Devils favourite advocate

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    Danny Fox is the greatest Left back in the history of this club.
    He ll certainly be talked about for years

I really wanted him to come good and change the opinions of all his detractors and doubters. Nothing would make me happier.

But he really has been useless in the last 2 games - I remember one particular incident at Brighton were he was literally shoved off the ball whilst carrying it out of defence, leading to a brighton chance. It really made me sad cos I want him to succeed so badly

Still can't believe he played for Celtic.

If you listen to what their fans have to say about him too, it's mostly along the lines of poor covering and terrible distribution.

We give Paterson a hard time for not covering properly when he's on the wing, but this is Fox's primary job. He's actually a defender. There's no excuse.