Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

View Poll Results: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Geoff Hurst

23 41.07%
  • Onions

33 58.93%
Page 652 of 652 FirstFirst ... 152552602642650651652
Results 16,276 to 16,281 of 16281
    Sky Plus Me

Default Re: The Big BREXIT discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by Alvar Hanso View Post
    I'm not a fan of David Owen
    You know there aren't enough threads on this forum that start with this

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    This also not true.

Britain is Constitutional Monarchy with a Representative Parliament.

Parliament gets its sovereignty from the monarchy.

The monarch grants it's subjects a right to participate in the selection of MPs.

This is why some #brexiteers are calling for prorougatiin to allow the monarchy to instruct the government to leave on WTO terms.

It might an uncomfortable truth but you don't have any sovereignty to transfer.

You only have consent to participate.

I'm a republican because I believe citizens should have sovereignty and not be subjects to constitutional largess of a Monarch. And while it's unlikely that the Monarch would upend the democratic process, while it's still in place I'll oppose it.

This reminds of a discussion immediately after the referendum, where people kept calling for this. Here's the reality, wjen Cameron resigned his words on the steps of 10 Downing Street "Ive been to see The Queen to tender my resignation as Prime Minister. She graciously accepted." Her Magesty's Government, etc.
    I agree in a sense that the queen does have the power if she chooses to use it. Her role is purely ceremonial though but again that is unwritten so she could screw us at any point. I’m not a republican in a sense because I dont want a president but I am up for something written to curtail the power of the monarchy. Again it’s unwritten but the power that politicians get is derived from the electorate as they need our consent through elections to govern for us.

It's not just ceremonial.

Literally, the Orb in Parliament represents the Monarch's authority.

Quote Originally Posted by The Monarch's Own Website
    The Queen's role in Government
    As Head of State The Queen has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters, unable to vote or stand for election, however Her Majesty does have important ceremonial and formal roles in relation to the government of the UK.

The formal phrase 'Queen in Parliament' is used to describe the British legislature, which consists of the Sovereign, the House of Lords and the House of Commons. The Queen's duties include opening each new session of Parliament, granting Royal Assent to legislation, and approving Orders and Proclamations through the Privy Council.

The Queen also has a special relationship with the Prime Minister, retaining the right to appoint and also meeting with him or her on a regular basis.

In addition to playing a specific role in the UK Parliament based in London, The Queen has formal roles with relation to the devolved assemblies of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi | vivit post funera virtus - Emprorer Tiberius

Weltmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    It's not just ceremonial.

Literally, the Orb in Parliament represents the Monarch's authority.
    This is why there is such an outcry when an MP picks up the ceremonial Mace in Parliament - which represents the authority of the Queen - and starts waving it about.

Letís get rid of all the MPs, and let the Queen run the country again. Itís not like she could do any worse.

ĄThe revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.ď

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    This is why there is such an outcry when an MP picks up the ceremonial Mace in Parliament - which represents the authority of the Queen - and starts waving it about.

Letís get rid of all the MPs, and let the Queen run the country again. Itís not like she could do any worse.
    I would certainly trust the current Royal family above parliament, I would trust the fucking Royle family above the crooked bastards.
    Politicians my arse.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post

Let’s get rid of all the MPs, and let the Queen run the country again. It’s not like she could do any worse.
    As long as she doesn't appoint her husband as Minister for Transport.