Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Where's me hammer?

Default Re: The LTLF Radio Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    What about Audiobooks Barry? There must be a way to get some of those free. I've listened to a couple on YouTube but whilst sat at a PC.

Try and get Lolita, you'd really enjoy that
    Have thought about them as well mate but cant really see a place to get them for free.

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Warp Speed Chic

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Have thought about them as well mate but cant really see a place to get them for free.

There's a couple of apps I know of but haven't used extensively, not sure what are on there but:

Libby - though you have to have a library card from a participating library. Last I looked there wasn't one in Nottm but I suppose you could use a family members.

Librivox - no sign up but not sure what's on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    I agree with your critique of "Home Truths" - one of a number of "must listen" programmes of my past.
    That and Annie Nightingales Request Show which used to air on a Sunday evening when I was at Uni stick in my mind as great radio.
    I have always found Baker to be not to my taste.
    Maybe it is because he is a squat, fat, hirsute (look it up), bigoted Landerner; maybe it is just that whenever I gave his programme a listen I found he had nothing really worth saying, but he said it anyway.
    As the cliche goes "opinions are like arseholes - we all have them", and not everyone will agree with my opinion.
    More fools them, I say
    606 was his baby, and brilliant at the time before the internet when the only fan opinion people could get were fanzines read sometimes a month after print.

Fans phoned up on their way home immediately after the game still seething, jubilant, depressed. And they used to be encouraged to give views on only the things they were qualified for - what ran through their head standing on an open terrace in the pouring January rain at Carlisle watching their side lose 3-0, the standard of their half time pie, etc.

That show was so successful it is still going nearly thirty years even when fan opinions are everywhere. It is now mostly armchair supporters calling up after watching Super Sunday to explain why a professional football team would have achieved a better result had they employed the same tactics that had won the caller his back to back titles on Championship Manager, instead of those of a highly successful professional coach who has spent forty years at the top of their sport. For that reason, it's not great any more. But that isn't Baker's fault. He set it on the right path. The people who took it on didn't have the same entertainment skills.

And he also wrote TFI Friday. For my generation at least, that was classic essential Friday evening TV. I found Evans annoying at that point as his ego had blown up, but you still had to watch the show before heading out on a Friday to discover pubs and clubs after school.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 11-05-19 at 20:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    606 was his baby, and brilliant at the time before the internet when the only fan opinion people could get were fanzines read sometimes a month after print.

Fans phoned up on their way home immediately after the game still seething, jubilant, depressed. And they used to be encouraged to give views on only the things they were qualified for - what ran through their head standing on an open terrace in the pouring January rain at Carlisle watching their side lose 3-0, the standard of their half time pie, etc.

That show was so successful it is still going nearly thirty years even when fan opinions are everywhere. It is now mostly armchair supporters calling up after watching Super Sunday to explain why a professional football team would have achieved a better result had they employed the same tactics that had won the caller his back to back titles on Championship Manager, instead of those of a highly successful professional coach who has spent forty years at the top of their sport. For that reason, it's not great any more. But that isn't Baker's fault. He set it on the right path. The people who took it on didn't have the same entertainment skills.

And he also wrote TFI Friday. For my generation at least, that was classic essential Friday evening TV. I found Evans annoying at that point as his ego had blown up, but you still had to watch the show before heading out on a Friday to discover pubs and clubs after school.
    The TFI theme tune takes me back to my teenage days, having it all ahead of me

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Danny Baker sacked by BBC.

Twitter the weapon of mass self destruction.

Damn, I liked his show.
    I went with my wife to see his show at the Theatre Royal last night, which was his first since the furore kicked-off. He came on to an extremely warm reception which seemed to both genuinely surprise and delight him.

He briefly dealt with "the elephant in the room" as he aptly described it, and was was more than fulsome in his contriteness for his actions, explaining how nervous he'd been beforehand.

His routine was excellent in my opinion, and fully deserving of the standing ovation he received at the end, before saying that the Nottingham gig will be one he'll never forget.

The original 606 was great. The Tuesday night 606 was even better - more irreverent. His Saturday morning show over the past few years was great too.

doyen of boomer energy

Listened to the Matlock / Matlock Bath episode of Mark Steel's In Town last night.
    Very funny. Especially to an almost local. Don't live there but have visited many times over the years.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Foam Hand

Heart 80's is banging tonight; Brother Beyond, Tiffany, Rick Astley... just need a bit of Bros and the Grolsch tops will be out.

Good series start in the Radio 4 1.45pm 15min slot this week.

Tim Harford doing "50 Things that made the modern economy".

Today was the Gimbal/Gyroscope and how it came from it's origin on the high sea to be in everything today from your phone to drones etc.

@Barry, haven't opened my Podcast app yet, but will make that list soon

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post

Today was the Gimbal/Gyroscope and how it came from it's origin on the high sea to be in everything today from your phone to drones etc.

Yesterday was about packaging of food for supermarket sales - a brilliant analysis that debunked the theory that packaging is a bad thing.
    At 4:30 on a Friday Harford hosts a programme called "More or Less?" which analyses popular number based headlines and de-bunks most of the shit we take as gospel.

Where's me hammer?

Yep I listened to that earlier... was amazing how it came about.

Thanks

This was an excellent edition of Word of Mouth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007ww2

Explores how Anglo Saxon still shapes the use of English today.

Lots of revelation about that thing we take so much granted, 'our tongue'.

I love Danny Kelly on the radio!