Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's Football Thread

Default Re: Women's Football Thread

Cautious. Unimaginative. Hoofy. We're consistent at this game.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The standard is Sunday league standard

I could get 11 blokes out of our local and beat England ladies

Utterly shocking. Won't be watching another game in this 'world cup' lol don't make me laugh

Nonsense

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

The highlights on the FIFA site.

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/v...hts/index.html

Have a look at the Colombia goal, or the Australian goal, or the Nigerians goals, or the saves the US keeper made in the first half hour, or the free kick the Chinese player hit the post with.

Eleven blokes in the local drink beer, get fat and generally like to piss their free time away. Because their pub has had a Sky Sports subscription for years they can also think that there could be no women in the world that can beat them at the sport they watch and occasionally play with a hangover.

England seems to have a problem that the North Americans don't have in that men's football has been a part of culture for years. Maybe that is why it is slower in accepting the women's game. In the US and Canada it is seen a more of unisex sport. Their women's teams are more competitive. On Monday at the game there were 10-15k Americans. Men were wearing shirts with male or female players' names on the back, so were the women. I just can't imagine an English crowd with men wearing the women's names on the back of the shirt. Germany still manage to be number one in the world in women's football though, so it isn't just down to the strong traditions of the men's game.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 10-06-15 at 14:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Hand ShAndy! View Post

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    The highlights on the FIFA site.

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/v...hts/index.html

Have a look at the Colombia goal, or the Australian goal, or the Nigerians goals, or the saves the US keeper made in the first half hour, or the free kick the Chinese player hit the post with.

Eleven blokes in the local drink beer, get fat and generally like to piss their free time away. Because their pub has had a Sky Sports subscription for years they can also think that there could be no women in the world that can beat them at the sport they watch and occasionally play with a hangover.

England seems to have a problem that the North Americans don't have in that men's football has been a part of culture for years. Maybe that is why it is slower in accepting the women's game. In the US and Canada it is seen a more of unisex sport. Their women's teams are more competitive. On Monday at the game there were 10-15k Americans. Men were wearing shirts with male or female players' names on the back, so were the women. I just can't imagine an English crowd with men wearing the women's names on the back of the shirt. Germany still manage to be number one in the world in women's football though, so it isn't just down to the strong traditions of the men's game.
    You have to give it time pal, the skill set isnt there YET for it be took as seriously as the mens game in this country.... its the same reasons why you get lower crowds the further down the leagues you go, better players attract more people... it wont be an overnight thing and will probably be generational providing the womens game survives.

It has a long way to go in England. But like the men's game, women's football won't worry about leaving English football behind while it grows.

Athletics and tennis are two unisex sports. I don't have a preference for watching men's or women's events at an athletics meet, you watch them both. Certain events are strong at certain times. The men's high jump and the women's sprint hurdles are two of the best events at a major championship at the moment. Rutherford complained in 2013 that he hadn't seen the kind of sponsorship deals that Jess Ennis-Hill had even though he won gold on the same evening in the same sport at the Olympics. The fastest men run faster than the fastest women, but that is mostly irrelevant in that sport. Serena Williams is a bigger draw for fans queuing for tennis tickets than most of the players on the men's tour. Athletics and tennis were male sports once, athletics more recently than tennis, but both long enough in the past for pub bloke not to have to get his head around it in 2015.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 10-06-15 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    You have to give it time pal, the skill set isnt there YET for it be took as seriously as the mens game in this country.... its the same reasons why you get lower crowds the further down the leagues you go, better players attract more people... it wont be an overnight thing and will probably be generational providing the womens game survives.
    Every US game is sold out here. So that can't mean the women have to be as good as the men before people will watch.

One thing I read yesterday, yes the location obviously plays a big part, but the US have had the most fans at the last men's and women's World Cups after the host nations now. Seemed significant. The US also pays more than any other country for FIFA's TV rights. They have already started to outperform us at both.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 10-06-15 at 14:48.

Where's me hammer?

Womens football skill levels in the US are much higher than England..... They have won world cups for a start i do believe?

England played the US recently and lost 1-0. And but for a dodgy refereeing decision it would have have been a draw.

That's very specific though. The level of the current women's England national team is not good enough to justify going but the level of the current US one is? In the grand scheme of things the difference isn't huge.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

My biggest problem is hiding the erection if I have to stand up..........................................and that's just during "mens" Forest matches.

Watching the women play is like watching them running through treacle. The skills are there it's just played in slow motion.

Sorry I simply can't get excited by it. But never mind, Francis, this topic gives you plenty of space to demonstrate another of your ongoing passions ( illustrating, yet again, your dismay at the failures of the Forest machine), plus a blog of your trip to Canada.

Absolute no point to women's football. Stop giving them air time. A very minority sport that deserves no attention from the media.

Hey guys, that troll we ordered has arrived at last...

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Absolute no point to women's football. Stop giving them air time. A very minority sport that deserves no attention from the media.
    You really need to put some effort in otherwise, whats the point?

Last edited by Barry; 10-06-15 at 18:37.

You really need to put some effort in otherwise, whats the point?
    Just my opinion. I got to a lot of Motorsport events with a lot bigger crowds, but get no mention from any mainstream media. So why does women's football??

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Just my opinion. I got to a lot of Motorsport events with a lot bigger crowds, but get no mention from any mainstream media. So why does women's football??
    Positive discrimination!

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Yeah.... motorsport... never on the telly, that.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Yeah.... motorsport... never on the telly, that.
    Well, not without paying for it.

Where's me hammer?

TT this week on ITV4 has been excellent

Where's me hammer?

Cos its football

I'm hardly in the minority of not liking women's football. Notts county ladies one of the top teams in England get 2000 for a home game.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

TT this week on ITV4 has been excellent
    I'd say the airtime, comparable to attendance is higher than most, it's had loads of hour long shows even when nothings racing.

So yeah, mororsport is never on TV.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I'm hardly in the minority of not liking women's football. Notts county ladies one of the top teams in England get 2000 for a home game.
    What do the men's team get?

Also mens football evolved before TV, now a load more people watch by TV so it has to have a start there. If it's prioritised over something that more people will watch (on TV) then it will get removed, viewing figures trump everything.