Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's Football Thread

Default Re: Women's Football Thread

World Cup starts today in Canada. The tournament is set break any previous women's WC tournament record for ticket sales and the record for any sporting event in Canada including the Olympics and Winter Olympics. The 52k at today's match will be the biggest ever crowd to watch a national team event in Canada. Good start.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh Francis, I wish I could get as excited about women's football as those 52k spectators. Will anyone be sitting up until 11pm to watch it?

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Sorry, I wish them all the luck in the world and everything but it's just not for me.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Canada won 1-0 with an injury time penalty. A bit of homers decision. China played for a point from the off. They still might have nicked it with a free kick that hit both posts. Canada's geordie coach looked relieved.

My nephew got himself on stage at half time in the fan park. The English bloke on the mic was impressed with his Forest shirt and shook his hand. Said he'd never seen one of those before in the Winnipeg.

Quote Originally Posted by Hand ShAndy! View Post
    Sorry, I wish them all the luck in the world and everything but it's just not for me.
    It's just football. I love football. And I love a sporting contest. And if you have 53k in the stadium even better.

It's obviously not the same quality as Barcelona v Juventus. But it is all way better than I can manage, so I don't need to sit in the stand worry if it is good enough for me. The Chinese free kick that hit both posts, I couldn't dream of hitting that. So it's a good sporting conetst. It's a good football tournament. And that's before you get into the comparatively lack of rolling around/surrounding the officially/generally just acting like a bellend on a million pound a month playing in a competition where we know the outcome before a ball is kicked.

It's only because I've grown up a Forest fan that I still follow the higher domestic leagues. I don't like them very much now. But they don't own football. Football is still just as much a brilliant sport, and the Premier League, the Championship are just a couple of leagues, there are thousands. Women's football is actually going somewhere and this is an exciting competition.

I'd like to see Canada win it. It's a very long shot. But still.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    It's just football. I love football. And I love a sporting contest. And if you have 53k in the stadium even better.

It's obviously not the same quality as Barcelona v Juventus. But it is all way better than I can manage, so I don't need to sit in the stand worry if it is good enough for me. The Chinese free kick that hit both posts, I couldn't dream of hitting that. So it's a good sporting conetst. It's a good football tournament. And that's before you get into the comparatively lack of rolling around/surrounding the officially/generally just acting like a bellend on a million pound a month playing in a competition where we know the outcome before a ball is kicked.

It's only because I've grown up a Forest fan that I still follow the higher domestic leagues. I don't like them very much now. But they don't own football. Football is still just as much a brilliant sport, and the Premier League, the Championship are just a couple of leagues, there are thousands. Women's football is actually going somewhere and this is an exciting competition.

Fabulous post Francis, I watched the match yesterday and was thinking how poor it was but you may have opened my eyes to it and I'll enjoy it for was it is. A competitive game of football and I like you, love football.

Lived in Toronto for 15 years before moving South and I'm with you.......Go Canada!!!! Hope the Mozzie's don't bleed you dry this Summer, I've heard they're brutal in summer in Manitoba.

Where's me hammer?

I only watched a half of it because francis mentioned it.... It was ok..... Bit more exciting than the match currently on itv

I caught the last half an hour. It was no better or worse than most tournament-opening games in terms of entertainment, and nothing wrong with the technique on display, particularly the Chinese defence who were very organised.

Where's me hammer?

The skill set is certainly getting better, gone are the days when you used to see doncaster belles beating all and it really was like watching "girls football"

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post

I completely understand, I've watched Beeston town kick lumps out of the opposition on a dog shit laden rec cos I like watching football I just can't get into the woman's game. If anything I'd compare it to my love of motorsports, I'll watch mostly anything but rarely F1 as I find it repetitive and boring mostly.

Last edited by Joao CarvAndy!ho; 07-06-15 at 15:55.

Where's me hammer?

Enjoying the germany game..... Its like a game of cuppy

bullittboy

Girls football pfftt....

Where's me hammer?

Dont think ive ever seen a team win 10 nil and get so many things wrong....... Could and should have been 20 if germany had the correct decision making..... The africans just kicked the shit out of em

I watched until the seventh goal, at which point I concluded that the result was perhaps beyond doubt. Will watch more. Only one game tonight, Sweden v Nigeria. I'm guessing Sweden to win. Dunno really, keeps it interesting.

Now then - Ingerland. Are we any good now? I recall watching Hope Powell's feckless teams of recent times and I'd rather not do that anymore. I'm not expecting us to bring home the trophy but will there at least be some tangible effort made to do what is necessary to achieve that, regardless of the odds?

Last edited by Alpha Fail; 08-06-15 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    Dont think ive ever seen a team win 10 nil and get so many things wrong....... Could and should have been 20 if germany had the correct decision making..... The africans just kicked the shit out of em
    Zaire and suchlike also used to lose heavily in the mens World Cup, until things started turning around in the 80's and 90's. Maybe that African team needed a female Roger Milla to go with their bunch of Benjamin Massing's then did they (I didn't watch it)?!

In the men's World Cup, Germany put eight past Saudi Arabia in 2002 and seven past Brazil on their own patch last year.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 08-06-15 at 14:52.

Uncompetitive!

We'll be at that Sweden v Nigeria match too. Many of these group games are double headers, and it is on before the Australia v USA game. It's a sell-out, 33k, but I imagine a lot will just turn up to watch the States. All the American games are sold out.

16 of the 24 teams will go through from the knock out stages. So like any of these tournaments, it gets better in the knock out rounds. England don't look like they have an easy group though. It's England v France tomorrow, and the French knocked England out on penalties last time. They didn't beat Mexico then either, and they're Saturday's opponents.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 08-06-15 at 14:58.

First chance I've had to watch any of this. Currently USA 1 Australia 1. Is it an artificial pitch?

2.1 USA. well taken goal

Quote Originally Posted by forestzoe View Post
    First chance I've had to watch any of this. Currently USA 1 Australia 1. Is it an artificial pitch?
    Yep.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...world-cup-turf

That was a fun day.

I loved watching the Nigerians. The Nigerians were ace second half. They're my new favourite football team for 24 hours. Came back from 2-0 and 3-2 down to get a draw against the Swedes. The front three were excellent. Three good goals. Their fans danced for the whole game, and all twenty two joined in each goal celebration by the corner flag. Awesome World Cup football.

Australia started well, and scored a cracking goal, but they ran out of steam. The US were too good in the end. Hope Solo made a couple of good saves to keep them in it early on after she started the day in the papers for allegedly beating up some family members. 32k I think they said, and at least half were American fans. They sung their 'I believe that we will win' song. Lots of soccer moms.

England v France tomorrow, in Moncton.

Number 13 Ngozi Okobi for Nigeria, scores the first and creates the other two. That ball for the third goal is Nigel Clough stuff.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 09-06-15 at 16:35.

Ooops, forgot the England game. I gather I didn't miss much.

Nope.