Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115

Thread: Is it us?

      
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chester /Iraq
    Posts
    637

    Default Is it us?

    I've been a Forest fan for nearly 30 years now but this season has really started me thinking.

    Although I have been a fan for years my work has usually kept me away from the ground, this year I have been in the fortunate position to be able to attend quite a few games this season. I have though been trying to find a home in the ground, I've been in the BC stand and the Trent End, starring longingly towards Lower Bridgford with the songs and flags and the banter. So I moved to LB twice this season, 1 Saturday match and 1 evening match, the evening match had a much better atmosphere, Saturday seemed to be full of people talking who really didn't appear to have come to watch the match. A Block seems fairly noisy although I haven't passed my initiation to get in yet.

    So my last match saw me in Upper Bridgford against Wolves. It was there that I decided that it must be us fans, we were a happy enough bunch for the first 15 minutes, the singing followed the usual script, MOK followed by "we hate Derby" followed by Forest till I die and stand up if you hate Derby etc etc. Then as per usual if things aren't going our way we usually go quiet. And there in I think is our problem? We don't have a sack full of songs, but more importantly if things aren't going our way we revert to slagging the team off. All I could hear in my last match at the ground was how shite our team was and how we as a bunch of supporters could play that lot off the field.

    The second half of the Wolves match from a supporters POV was " a bloody disgrace" (God bless you BC), their fans sang us out of our own ground, we had no come backs. They burst into a chorus of we've finished your season, **** Off and go home" what did we do? Went home!!!

    Why do we pile out 10 minutes before the end of each half? Is the beer really that good?

    Is it us? I appreciate that players get paid a lot of money to play, but we also play a lot of money to support, the clue is in the name surely? We're Nottingham Forest, we should be used to years of ordinariness it comes with the badge.

    So my question is how do we fix the atmosphere at the ground and where should I be sitting? Rant over, this has been annoying me for a couple of weeks now.

    COYR


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Is it us?

    If I could afford a season ticket there is no way I'd be chatting through most of the game or leaving with 10 minutes of the match remaining.


  4. #3

    Default Re: Is it us?

    I've been home and away to most games this season and I haven't witnessed a set of fans yet who sang start to finish for every game.

    As with most we react to what's happening on the pitch for most occasions how ever we did show vs Norwich what can be achieved if the support gets on top of the opposition.

    I disagree on number of songs as well. I think we have more than most


  5. #4
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    22,487

    Default Re: Is it us?

    I completely agree about the Wolves game. We were silenced and had no come back, I honestly felt ashamed.
    When I think back to the early days in A Block and various other times that would never have happened. But I suppose that is where we are now, its Modern Football, nearly £30 admission and we live in a meek society were you cannot be seen to offend and everyone keeps their trap shut and accepts everything.

    I'll say something here that some will probably disagree with...
    The closest I have experienced to those old days was towards the end of last season in LB. The numbers were small but everyone was like minded; sing and support until the end no matter how bad we were as a team.
    This season the numbers have exploded in LB and whilst that isn't a bad thing, it has lost that edge and defiance about it imo. Its almost become a carnival atmosphere with people expecting to be part of something without actually contributing anything to it.

    I do agree with Castus though, on the whole our support is superb home and away. For a club of our size starved of success for so long its quite incredible really.


  6. #5

    Default Re: Is it us?

    'Its almost become a carnival atmosphere with people expecting to be part of something without actually contributing anything to it'

    Couldn't sum it up any better. Hopefully next season people will move around closer to friends they've made to create more noise.


  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    A stones throw from Nottingham.
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgford_71 View Post
    The closest I have experienced to those old days was towards the end of last season in LB. The numbers were small but everyone was like minded; sing and support until the end no matter how bad we were as a team.
    This season the numbers have exploded in LB and whilst that isn't a bad thing, it has lost that edge and defiance about it imo. Its almost become a carnival atmosphere with people expecting to be part of something without actually contributing anything to it.
    Did you manage to nod off through the atmosphere SP inspired or did you not go to any games while he was here? There's articles you can read about how good the fans were with pearce in charge. You might even find one that credits the win to us for singing our hearts out.


  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    A stones throw from Nottingham.
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Carnival? You can't blame the fans when the club is run like a damn circus.


  9. #8
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    22,487

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Love View Post
    Did you manage to nod off through the atmosphere SP inspired or did you not go to any games while he was here? There's articles you can read about how good the fans were with pearce in charge. You might even find one that credits the win to us for singing our hearts out.
    No, ST holder in there for a year. Your right, there was some excellent support some games, Norwich at home in particular. Bournemouth at home was excellent as well.
    But there's been plenty of bad games.


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,614

    Default Re: Is it us?

    We have a fair number of cynical, gutless fans who are much too quick to criticize players and get on the backs of any player they dislike. I'm not a model fan but I reckon that anyone who is in the Forest team deserves support and if you really can't actively support a certain player, then just keep your mouth shut. Cheering like a loon when your least favourite player is subbed does the team no good at all. Just saying.

    In the upper Trent End, we have the mass exodus 5 sometimes 10 minutes before the end, often no matter the score. Must be going somewhere important and can't wait in the traffic for an extra few minutes or so?

    PS I witnessed a couple of pathetic arguments (almost came to blows) between Forest fans yesterday who disagreed about the merits of certain players. Most of the aggression was directed towards people who were on the back of certain players FROM THE START. Write to Freedman if you can't agree with HIS selection. BTW I rarely see any of this nonsense away and I've been to all but 6 or 7 away games over the past five seasons. The players respond to a positive contribution from the fans.


  11. #10
    Senior Doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    16,950

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Hang on... is it us?
    You cannot be serious!
    Average weekly income of the average working spectator, after tax, NHI and pension, roughly £400 per week.
    Cost of a seat, including booking internet and postal fee £30.
    Average weekly take home of our players approx £15,000 per week net of tax, nhi and pension...
    So, if the players give less than 100% then we have a right to vent frustration.


  12. #11
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    45,793

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Wish i could earn 15k a week...... In fact i think id be happy with the £400 a week.


  13. #12
    Senior Doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    16,950

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    Wish i could earn 15k a week...... In fact i think id be happy with the £400 a week.
    Sorry Bill - I was using the current average gross salary for the UK, spreading it over 52 weeks and taking out the average % for tax etc.
    I realise that there are some people keeping the average down.
    Sorry it has to be you (and now I am retired, me too!)


  14. #13
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    45,793

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Its my fault mate, university educated but never pushed myself. Im certainly the poorest of my social circle made up of plumbers, sparkys etc.


  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    A stones throw from Nottingham.
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Damn, supporting this club is sucking the life from my soul.
    Fans questioning if it's their fault? It's a joke.


  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,614

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Of course it's not our fault and I can't be bothered going over old ground again on here. Yes they earn a huge amount (obscene amount) and often seem to be able to do better. Rightly or wrongly they respond to encouragement and this will be the case with ANYONE no matter what they are on as a wage.


  17. #16
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    22,487

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Love View Post
    Damn, supporting this club is sucking the life from my soul.
    Fans questioning if it's their fault? It's a joke.
    I wasn't questioning our support from a players/team point of view. Bournemouth seem to be performing okay with their pathetic support.
    My issue was being outsung by Wolves. It's unacceptable, we should be giving as good as we get against an old rival. Minimum. I don't care if we are 5-0 down like at Derby last season, we are Forest and we should never roll over for anyone.


  18. #17

    Default Re: Is it us?

    I could easily imagine Dave Gorman turning this thread into one of his found poems.


  19. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    A stones throw from Nottingham.
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgford_71 View Post
    I wasn't questioning our support from a players/team point of view. Bournemouth seem to be performing okay with their pathetic support.
    My issue was being outsung by Wolves. It's unacceptable, we should be giving as good as we get against an old rival. Minimum. I don't care if we are 5-0 down like at Derby last season, we are Forest and we should never roll over for anyone.
    My statement wasn't aimed at you directly.


  20. #19
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    35,951

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgford_71 View Post
    I wasn't questioning our support from a players/team point of view. Bournemouth seem to be performing okay with their pathetic support.
    My issue was being outsung by Wolves. It's unacceptable, we should be giving as good as we get against an old rival. Minimum. I don't care if we are 5-0 down like at Derby last season, we are Forest and we should never roll over for anyone.



    We've become a bizarre club. So many changes and divisions throughout the club over recent years seem to have taken it's toll on the whole. I could name you as almost 20 ST holders I know who have ragged in going since McClaren came here. I just don't think many folk feel they can invest in the club like they once did. Who can blame them? How can you commit to a ST when we change everything round before half way through the season every year? Mostly at the demand of kids tweeting from home as they play FIFA.



    Here's hoping Dougie can somehow inspire us next season.

    Last edited by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery; 20-04-15 at 11:36.

  21. #20
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    76,184

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-Hasawi View Post
    We've become a bizarre club. So many changes and divisions throughout the club over recent years seem to have taken it's toll on the whole. I could name you as almost 20 ST holders I know who have ragged in going since McClaren came here. I just don't think many folk feel they can invest in the club like they once did. Who can blame them? How can you commit to a ST when we change everything round before half way through the season every year? Mostly at the demand of kids tweeting from home as they play FIFA.

    Here's hoping Dougie can somehow inspire us next season.
    The other point here is many supporters are getting well and truly fucked off with being seen as nothing more than a cash-cow by their clubs.

    Tickets, including season tickets, are outrageously priced compared to many other leagues in Europe; clubs now seem to introduce three new shirts every season and bombard you with marketing information to encourage a purchase, and the match day experience is diluted by ever increasing costs for frankly abject quality food and drink and the ever oppressive "health and safety" police in the ground.

    Added to which that as a club we've realistically gone nowhere for fifteen years, is it any wonder supporters are voting with their feet and deciding there's better things they could be doing with their disposable income, no matter the emotional attachment to the club?

    It's a sad reflection on modern football - a sport awash with money, most of which goes straight into the pockets of players and their agents, accompanied by the crass exploitation of loyal supporters and the naive short-termism of owners - and many supporters - expecting instant success every season, rather than trying to build something sustainable.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    — Joe Strummer

  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,824

    Default Re: Is it us?

    We are a strange bunch, entrenched opinions defended against actual facts, turning on people who do well, defending people who do the opposite. Hating effective players, loving ineffective players. Wanting good players sold, but then not wanting a boring mid table season. Wanting the Chairman to spend, not wanting the chairman to spend. You could probably say that about any club but I don't think any have spectacularly failed as expensively as us.

    I don't think we know what we want. There isn't one reason why we have failed it's a combination of bad decisions, bad spending, bad management, bad player form and bad luck.


  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    On the less sophisticated side of the Midlands
    Posts
    6,257

    Default Re: Is it us?

    You should have been at Wolves away. Everything they did to us at home in terms of dominating the noise, I was there too and agree it was dire, we did to them at Molineux.

    That's what away fans do. That's why away games are always more fun.


  24. #23
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    35,951

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    The other point here is many supporters are getting well and truly fucked off with being seen as nothing more than a cash-cow by their clubs.

    Tickets, including season tickets, are outrageously priced compared to many other leagues in Europe; clubs now seem to introduce three new shirts every season and bombard you with marketing information to encourage a purchase, and the match day experience is diluted by ever increasing costs for frankly abject quality food and drink and the ever oppressive "health and safety" police in the ground.

    Added to which that as a club we've realistically gone nowhere for fifteen years, is it any wonder supporters are voting with their feet and deciding there's better things they could be doing with their disposable income, no matter the emotional attachment to the club?

    It's a sad reflection on modern football - a sport awash with money, most of which goes straight into the pockets of players and their agents, accompanied by the crass exploitation of loyal supporters and the naive short-termism of owners - and many supporters - expecting instant success every season, rather than trying to build something sustainable.

    Great post. I don't doubt Fawaz has genuinely tried his best for the club, it's just a shame he's usually gone with the lesser considered and generally dumber course of action.

    He must regret the day he ever heard of Alex McLeish or Alex Ferguson.


  25. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    A stones throw from Nottingham.
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerthecat View Post
    You should have been at Wolves away. Everything they did to us at home in terms of dominating the noise, I was there too and agree it was dire, we did to them at Molineux.

    That's what away fans do. That's why away games are always more fun.
    I'm on the brink of not bothering coming to any games next season. I've decided to see what happens over the summer break. If I decide not to attend for whatever reason, the next time I'll go will be to the away games. I know someone could blame me of being unloyal but, I really am fed up with it all.


  26. #25
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    45,793

    Default Re: Is it us?

    Ive always preferred away games.... Might just do all the away games under £30 next season


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •