Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forgotten Men

Default The Forgotten Men

With a season drawing to a close, Forest under embargo and players either confirmed leaving in the Summer or highly likely to, thoughts turn to what the side will look like in August.

Currently we have eight players out on loan. Do you expect any of them to come back and regain their place? Or will they be shipped out again/be released?

Players are: Louis Laing, Robert Tesche, Dan Harding, Jamie Mackie, Greg Halford, Raddy Majewski, Djamel Abdoun and Stephen McLaughlin.

.k I m
    I m u mm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: The Forgotten Men

Keep the first four
    Stone the rest

Actually found it strange Tesche was allowed out on loan, he would have been more useful than Vaughan. He's the only one might bring back, and Mackie possibly

Keep Laing and thats it

Quote Originally Posted by matt1982 View Post
    Actually found it strange Tesche was allowed out on loan, he would have been more useful than Vaughan. He's the only one might bring back, and Mackie possibly
    Tesche going on loan was all about his salary and reducing the wage bill

Massive Member

Tesches loan was definitely for financial reasons rather than ability. We got two in as soon as he went out. I do rate him but him staying will probably depend on how much he wants for wages

Finances permitting I'd keep Mackie (simply because he works hard), Abdoun (because he is seriously talented and subject to Freedman being able to manage his eccentricity), Halford (because of his ability to play pretty much anywhere, and is our best target man, who we won't be able to get any better than), Harding (because I think he's better than Fox), the rest can go.

Osborn offers so much more than Vaughan and Tesche, both of whom I would let go, as well as Lansbury because of the wages provided we can sign Gardner or someone of similar quality.

I'd also get rid of Fox and Wilson, the former because he's shit, and the latter because he must be on stupid wages for what we have. If we can loan Lascelles again, definitely get rid of Wilson.

I'd consider Tesche, Harding and Mackie. All have a lot to offer, I think. Harding isn't great but we are so short in left-back quality right now.

The others just let go. Halford was decent two seasons ago, but he's not really been doing much Brighton, either, and seems to have been plagued with injury most of the season.

I think I'd keep Tesche, Majewski, Laing and McLaughlin, mostly as backup.

If we could ship Wilson out and free wages that way, we could have a centre defence of Hobbs and Mancienne, with Laing and Reira as backup, which is OK.

Centre midfield, presuming Lansbury goes, would consist of Vaughan, Tesche, Majewski, Reid and Osborn. I'd be temped to let Vaughan go (out of contract I think?) and replace with a loan. Again, that would be an acceptable midfield.

Moving into wide midfield, presuming Antonio is sold, then we have Paterson, Burke, Burke and potentially Osborn who could play left midfield. McLaughlin could play there but I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in the starting line up. He can have a bench slot being able to cover many positions and because his wages will be cheap, but that's it. Would want a loan.

Would also suggest we need a loan left back and striker, shipping out Dex in the process.

So, Mackie, Abdoun, Harding, Halford, Fox, Wilson, Lansbury and Antonio out. Returning/incoming of Laing, Majewski, Tesche, McLaughlin and five loans (or frees if they're any good).

First team of:

De Vries
    Lichaj Hobbs Mancienne Loan
    Tesche Loan
    Burke Osborn Paterson
    Fryatt

Subs: Evtimov, Laing, Majewski, Burke, Walker, Fryatt, Loan.

Assumes Reid and Cohen still dead and the loans we bring in aren't better than what we already have. Also assumes our ambitions for the season are mid-table.

A centre half pairing of Hobbs and Mancienne with Riera and Laing back-up means a centre-half pairing including one or both if Laing and Riera for at least 20 games a season.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely a gamble.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Harding is out of contract.

So some of our highly paid failures currently in the team might leave to be replaced by some highly paid failures that we shipped out on loan to make way for those who replaced them in the first place.

What an exciting prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieLePop View Post
    First team of:

De Vries
    Lichaj Hobbs Mancienne Loan
    Tesche Loan
    Burke Osborn Paterson
    Fryatt

Subs: Evtimov, Laing, Majewski, Burke, Walker, Fryatt, Loan.

Assumes Reid and Cohen still dead and the loans we bring in aren't better than what we already have. Also assumes our ambitions for the season are mid-table.
    Let's be honest, if our ambitions are mid-table, we need a better team than that pile of dogshit.

Things must be bleak if Fryatt is first choice striker and best attacking option on the bench!

Quote Originally Posted by Lichaj of the Tiger View Post
    A centre half pairing of Hobbs and Mancienne with Riera and Laing back-up means a centre-half pairing including one or both if Laing and Riera for at least 20 games a season.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely a gamble.
    Hobbs is a worry, more so the lack of dominance at the back if he does get injured as well as natural ability. We can loan in a central defender relatively easily though. Also assumed we'll be able to get rid of Halford, who, if still at the club could always fill in for a few games, wouldn't be end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichaj of the Tiger View Post
    Things must be bleak if Fryatt is first choice striker and best attacking option on the bench!
    Noted about 2x Fryatt.

I don't think the squad once supplemented by loans is that bad. It's not that good either, but there's enough about it, if managed correctly, to secure a mid-table finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Harding is out of contract.
    I wish a lot more were too. This summer and next will hopefully see some fairly drastic culls and reductions in the wage bill (call it short-term pain for long-term gain if you will).

Forest have been lurching from one shiny new plan to another for year, all the time spunking away millions and achieving not a lot.

This must stop or FFP will see us in really serious trouble in a few years.

Jeez, how many more culls are we going to have? Place is turning into a hospice for shit footballers.

Doesn't tesche contract run out at the end of the season

Senior Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by 8balluk View Post
    Doesn't tesche contract run out at the end of the season

Yep.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

All depends on their relationship with Freedman and his vision for the club. Personally I'd keep Jamie Mackie, Greg Halford, & Raddy Majewski, because they all bring something different to the team which we are currently lacking in as a squad. Our best football in recent years has usually involved Raddy because we actually have the ball for more than 2 seconds when he plays, and the midfield suddenly becomes more able to control the game.

That's all ignoring finances, their state of mind & any divisions between players though.

What I really would have liked to have seen would have been Pearce given the right info about these players, and not the Eastenders villainizastion which they got. With these players (Halford & Mackie definitely) he'd have had players which suited him far more, as opposed to fancy pants Pato and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-Hasawi View Post
    All depends on their relationship with the incoming manager and his vision for the club.
    FTFY

I think next season could be determined by how many players can have a full pre-season. So many of our players need that.

Wilson because he's a crock. Hobbs too. For our young players like Burke and Walker it'll be their first proper pre-season.

Reid needs one. Cohen although he won't get one I assume.

Vaughan needs one to ready him for the season. Antonio surely needs some kind of regime implemented in pre-season to stop him getting knackered after 10 minutes.

Probably our most important pre-season in a while.

Forum Tactician

There is no point in seeking solace in midtable by shuffling a pack of midfield underachievers. There is no midtable in this unforgiving league. Midtable has you 6 points off relegation with your finger on the panic button. None of our existing options have the natural capability for what we lack.
    Even if Freedman could overcome their lethargic pedestrian mental approach & lack of urgency on the ball, he cant give it pace, because none of our existing roster has any. The midfield needs attention because its the catalyst for our woes. Go to the loan system & get a composed DM ready to show for the ball & a pacy CM with a love for the ball, the ability to skin a player & a killer pass

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    .........Even if Freedman could overcome their lethargic pedestrian mental approach & lack of urgency on the ball, he cant give it pace, because none of our existing roster has any. The midfield needs attention because its the catalyst for our woes. Go to the loan system & get a composed DM ready to show for the ball & a pacy CM with a love for the ball, the ability to skin a player & a killer pass
    Sadly, John McGovern and Archie Gemmill are now retired. I agree fully with the point you make though.

The Foam Hand

Some good points made.

I'd keep Laing and maybe McLaughlin, not bothered with the others.
    A bit fed up with seeing old names like Raddy wheeled out periodically and although some of them can bring something to the team, does it justify their wages?

Would rather see us start to mould a team with young hungry players being brought in/through, then use the loan market sensibly to strengthen like we have with Gardiner this season.

Had enough of the big-time Charlie's that don't deliver or get broken within months.

On the less sophisticated side of the Midlands

I'd be happy to go and fetch Raddy myself. He's still got it.