Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Great Pubs in Brentford - local advice.

Default Great Pubs in Brentford - local advice.

Bees fanzine Beesotted in peace here

Pub and a bit of travel advice for you. There are more pubs in brentford than the four (well now three) pubs around the ground

Safe journey down

http://bit.ly/1CpxtDn

Pubs in Brentford - Forest

For Forest fans coming down, you are probably aware there plenty of pub options pre-match and all are most welcoming - very much like the pubs in Nottingham we frequented pre-match. Colours are fine and there is no ‘bouncer culture’ on the doors of our boozers - not yet anyway. All fans are welcome and most fans usually cite Brentford as their favourite away-day which we’re quite proud of.

As is etched in common folklore , there were four pubs around the ground until a few weeks ago - unfortunately one closed down to leave only three now. The Griffin is closest to the away end (like 30 secs walk) and is very popular with away fans - but also very very busy. The New Inn is on the other side is also popular with away fans. The Princess Royal is the other option (The Royal Oak was the one that closed down).

Other pubs slightly further afield for the more creative amongst you include (and this is by no means a definitive list) the … The Globe (Windmill Rd) is the Beesotted fanzine main pub - a very friendly pub indeed. The other boozer is The Lord Nelson (Enfield Rd) - both incredibly friendly and cozy away-frienly pubs and 30 seconds walk from each other .. frequented by 'away fans in the know'. Boro fans and Bees fans had one hell of a party before and after the match in both these boozers (despite us losing)- and The Plough (Northfields Ave - 1 minute walk from the tube) in Northfields is a decent stop-off if you are coming by tube to Northfields before making your way down to the ground (normally stopping off at The Globe and Lord Nelson en route on the Northfields pub crawl).

Easily the best way to Brentford is to get the Piccadilly line tube from Kings Cross/St Pancras to either Northfields or South Ealing (35 mins). Northfields is preferred by fans in the know as it has a decent pub crawl run on the way to the ground (Plough, Lord Nelson, Globe). South Ealing has one posh pub en route that doesn’t really like football fans so we won’t even give it a mention here. It’s 20 mins walk from either South Ealing OR Northfields to the ground or you can get the E2 bus from Northfields or 65 bus from South Ealing for the short 5 minute journey.

Some fans prefer to take the tube to Vauxhall then get the overground to Brentford mainline station. Depending on your connection time, this could be a slightly longer route as you could be waiting for up to 15 mins for a train and the train takes 26 mins to Brentford. Including you connection from Kings Cross this journey could take you the best part of an hour as opposed to under 40 minutes (plus the journey to the ground).

If you do take this route, there is also a pub right by Brentford station always referred to as … er … the Pub by Brentford station.

For ale head to the Magpie and Crown pub on Brentford High Street. The Royal Horseguardsman can probably hold 15 of you at a push. The Brewery Tap is a cosy boozer by the river. And if you are super adventurous, get off at Kew Bridge and visit the brand new boozer One Over the Ait right on the river - beside the bridge. Great views over The Thames.

There are loads more too. A quick google search and you’ll find them all. There are many many more too if you have a look around.

Parking is pretty easy away from the ground going up towards and over the A4 Great West Rd (ie. North) via Ealing Rd or Windmill Rd.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

winnits

Default Re: Great Pubs in Brentford - local advice.

Which one is 'The Flying Swan' in Robert Rankins books based on? And does it have a part-time barman called Neville?

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Quote Originally Posted by beesotted View Post
    Bees fanzine Beesotted in peace here

Pub and a bit of travel advice for you. There are more pubs in brentford than the four (well now three) pubs around the ground

Safe journey down

http://bit.ly/1CpxtDn

Pubs in Brentford - Forest

For Forest fans coming down, you are probably aware there plenty of pub options pre-match and all are most welcoming - very much like the pubs in Nottingham we frequented pre-match. Colours are fine and there is no ‘bouncer culture’ on the doors of our boozers - not yet anyway. All fans are welcome and most fans usually cite Brentford as their favourite away-day which we’re quite proud of.

As is etched in common folklore , there were four pubs around the ground until a few weeks ago - unfortunately one closed down to leave only three now. The Griffin is closest to the away end (like 30 secs walk) and is very popular with away fans - but also very very busy. The New Inn is on the other side is also popular with away fans. The Princess Royal is the other option (The Royal Oak was the one that closed down).

Other pubs slightly further afield for the more creative amongst you include (and this is by no means a definitive list) the … The Globe (Windmill Rd) is the Beesotted fanzine main pub - a very friendly pub indeed. The other boozer is The Lord Nelson (Enfield Rd) - both incredibly friendly and cozy away-frienly pubs and 30 seconds walk from each other .. frequented by 'away fans in the know'. Boro fans and Bees fans had one hell of a party before and after the match in both these boozers (despite us losing)- and The Plough (Northfields Ave - 1 minute walk from the tube) in Northfields is a decent stop-off if you are coming by tube to Northfields before making your way down to the ground (normally stopping off at The Globe and Lord Nelson en route on the Northfields pub crawl).

Easily the best way to Brentford is to get the Piccadilly line tube from Kings Cross/St Pancras to either Northfields or South Ealing (35 mins). Northfields is preferred by fans in the know as it has a decent pub crawl run on the way to the ground (Plough, Lord Nelson, Globe). South Ealing has one posh pub en route that doesn’t really like football fans so we won’t even give it a mention here. It’s 20 mins walk from either South Ealing OR Northfields to the ground or you can get the E2 bus from Northfields or 65 bus from South Ealing for the short 5 minute journey.

Some fans prefer to take the tube to Vauxhall then get the overground to Brentford mainline station. Depending on your connection time, this could be a slightly longer route as you could be waiting for up to 15 mins for a train and the train takes 26 mins to Brentford. Including you connection from Kings Cross this journey could take you the best part of an hour as opposed to under 40 minutes (plus the journey to the ground).

If you do take this route, there is also a pub right by Brentford station always referred to as … er … the Pub by Brentford station.

For ale head to the Magpie and Crown pub on Brentford High Street. The Royal Horseguardsman can probably hold 15 of you at a push. The Brewery Tap is a cosy boozer by the river. And if you are super adventurous, get off at Kew Bridge and visit the brand new boozer One Over the Ait right on the river - beside the bridge. Great views over The Thames.

There are loads more too. A quick google search and you’ll find them all. There are many many more too if you have a look around.

Parking is pretty easy away from the ground going up towards and over the A4 Great West Rd (ie. North) via Ealing Rd or Windmill Rd.
    Thank you for this

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

This reminds me, where's the Brentford matchday thread??

Nobody can be bothered. Maybe the Brentford fan will oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by winnits View Post
    Which one is 'The Flying Swan' in Robert Rankins books based on? And does it have a part-time barman called Neville?
    Robert Rankin's White Swan was actually The Bricklayers Arms which was Brentfrd's main "characters" pub in the 80s and 90s. The pub got sold off and is now houses.

You fill have a crack regardless in Brentford. It's pretty friendly all in all and loads of places to drink.

winnits

Gutted! Always wanted to have a Rankin themed potter round Brentford!

beesotted.
    Thanks for the info.

We used the Plough, great boozer and easy to get served, most of the others used the Nelson & Globe, thanks for the heads up.

My second most enjoyable away day of the season, a good game and nothing beats terracing - hope Brentford stay down for that reason, quality atmosphere.

The Clapham Crusader

I think this was the first game since living in Nottingham that I've actually been able to walk to!

Hope Brentford stay down to be honest - I'm liking this 'zero money spent on travel' lark

Last one standing

Fuck drinking in Brentford, do it in Ealing then get the 65 bus down towards the ground.

Game was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zed View Post
    I think this was the first game since living in Nottingham that I've actually been able to walk to!

Hope Brentford stay down to be honest - I'm liking this 'zero money spent on travel' lark
    I love this. I had a spell walking from Sherwood to Forest. It was still a long walk though in truth. Now I run to Conference games with a bag containing a match day change strip of jacket and jeans. On the final whistle I get changed again and run home. No travel costs. I'm getting some exercise and probably home faster for it. It's guilt free football.

The Clapham Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Fuck drinking in Brentford, do it in Ealing then get the 65 bus down towards the ground.
    Exactly what I did! The North Star is pretty decent, or it used to be before they turned it into this American diner place.

The pubs around Ealing Green are also good.

EDIT: I didn't get the 65 though... that thing takes bloody ages!

Last one standing

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zed View Post
    Exactly what I did! The North Star is pretty decent, or it used to be before they turned it into this American diner place.

The pubs around Ealing Green are also good.

EDIT: I didn't get the 65 though... that thing takes bloody ages!
    I got that bus all the way to Kingston once (my cousin lives there). Jesus christ, that was a journey I don't want to repeat!

The Grove in Ealing was always a good place for a pint, then inevitably over to O'Neills for some reason.