Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left back

Bucksred

Default Left back

The same problem is evident and has not been addressed and that is our left back.

Ever since Shorey departed we have never got this sorted or got it right, we have tried Harding, Fox and yet our make shift player Lichaj looks better.

And it's obvious as the nose on your face that opposition teams target our left flank as they too know it's weak. We had the chance all season to plug the gap and failed.

Let's hope we can get this position looking more solid, we need to.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Default Re: Left back

They target it because of Antonios limited defensive responsibility. Lichaj is adequate there and we can't buy anyone.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Massive Member

Fox while capable of the odd error provides a far better balance to the side and is one of the few non Antonio attacking options that we have. Despite missing several games and playing several more games as a centre back he has as many assists as the following players combined;

Lars
    Hobbs
    Vaughan
    Blackstock
    Cohen
    Lichaj
    Wilson
    Kane
    Jamaal
    Fryatt
    Britt
    Patterson

In fact only Antonio has more....

Bucksred

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Plummer View Post
    Fox while capable of the odd error provides a far better balance to the side and is one of the few non Antonio attacking options that we have. Despite missing several games and playing several more games as a centre back he has as many assists as the following players combined;

Lars
    Hobbs
    Vaughan
    Blackstock
    Cohen
    Lichaj
    Wilson
    Kane
    Jamaal
    Fryatt
    Britt
    Patterson

In fact only Antonio has more....

Surprising fact, however he does not seem solid or commanding enough. At Charlton he was not quick enough to close and make a challenge, that being said when he did have a two against one situation our centre backs failed to help out until the cross and Obvious and simple goal came in.

A bit of the subject, how many corners do we get and we never seem to score from them? (You seem good at stats)

All of them ?

Lichaj has been excellent of late both at RB and LB.
    Issues in performance have for me been largely when he hasn't been 100% fit. He had quite a nasty groin injury which he seemed to take an age to recover on but for me has been 100% for quite a while. He does the job of being a defender very well. He's physical and doesn't often give attackers much space to attack. He lacks a little bit going forward but is for me very good at this level. Fox isn't as good and for me drops off attacking wingers too much. However he's an okay championship LB without being spectacular.

Bucksred

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Trees View Post
    Lichaj has been excellent of late both at RB and LB.
    Issues in performance have for me been largely when he hasn't been 100% fit. He had quite a nasty groin injury which he seemed to take an age to recover on but for me has been 100% for quite a while. He does the job of being a defender very well. He's physical and doesn't often give attackers much space to attack. He lacks a little bit going forward but is for me very good at this level. Fox isn't as good and for me drops off attacking wingers too much. However he's an okay championship LB without being spectacular.

Agree with you, however Lichaj is best at right back and that's the point, he's better than Fox and it's not his natural position.
    Conclusion the left back position has not been sorted.
    I did forget about Cohen, but sadly he's not able to last a whole season with his injury woes and can't be relied upon.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksred View Post
    .......he's better than Fox and it's not his natural position.....
    You omitted to add "in your opinion" to that statement BR.

I make Lichaj the front runner in the "Player of the season without Antonio" competition. Impossible to know which way Dougie will go next season with all the departures, but Lichaj looks the business at either right or left back.

Even if you factor in Cohen, LB still isnt his best position. That said, if he were to come back from injury in time for the next game he'd have to play LB because none of the current midfield are playing anything below their best.

Bertrand was another one that got away in that position.

Not sure if you're saying LB isn't Cohen's or Lichaj's best position?

Agree it's not Lichaj's, but it's certainly Cohen's best position. He has a much greater impact on our games at LB than he does in CM.

Bucksred

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    You omitted to add "in your opinion" to that statement BR.
    Thought you'd except it as fact.

Bucksred

Quote Originally Posted by bgd View Post

Agree it's not Lichaj's, but it's certainly Cohen's best position. He has a much greater impact on our games at LB than he does in CM.

Exactly my point, it's a problem position and was last season. Harding, Fox and Cohen injury prone, surely it should have been sorted. Just read a few Leeds match reviews and they openly admit to targeting this weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by bgd View Post

What I was trying to say was, previously when he's been deployed at LB he was better than most of the other midfielders, but in the current side he would have to play LB. I think he's equally capable in both positions

Someone fetch a priest!

Unfortunately the Gunter money has been spent so things will just have to stay as they are

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Thought you'd except it as fact.
    You thought wrong then.

oopsy daisy!

Whilst the left hand side of midfield is deployed in a more attacking role it leaves a hole which opposition teams can and often will exploit.

It doesn't particularly matter exactly who the left back is, if they repeatedly keep getting left in a 2 on 1 situation they will repeatedly look as if they are not able to cope, probably because they can't.

It's a price we have to pay for having such an attacking threat down the left.

We dont have a weakness at left back.

The issue at full back is cloudy because of whats going on in front of them. At a time when we need to win games Antonio assumes a more forward position & leaves the Left sided full back exposed. Freedman obviously views Lichaj as our strongest full back so deploys him left side to counter the problem. Safe in the knowledge the less experienced RB is given assistance by Burke who is more proficient at tracking back.

When we resume normal service next season, Lichaj resumes at RB & Fox is LB. A more than capable set up for the championship.

After happily slating Fox for most of the season under SP, i think he actually started to look the part under DF. You could highlight most areas on the pitch as a weakness, we have a goalkeeper who can't save from range, a bunch of centre halves made out of biscuit, central midfielders who blow hot and cold too much, a over reliance on a winger etc etc etc. If we can have a back four of Fox ? Hobbs Lichaj next season, we won't have too many problems.

Not to hand sorry without going through it game by game, which would then be meaningless unless I did the same for every other championship side. I can tell you've we've scored 15 goals from set pieces (not including penalties).

An interesting article on corners though: http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/20...lmost.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by fitch91 View Post
    Bertrand was another one that got away in that position.
    As in "got away to a better team in a better division"? Playing in a side challenging for Europe is obviously closer to his level than Championship mid-table. We were just a learning stage for him.

Bucksred

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Whilst the left hand side of midfield is deployed in a more attacking role it leaves a hole which opposition teams can and often will exploit.

It doesn't particularly matter exactly who the left back is, if they repeatedly keep getting left in a 2 on 1 situation they will repeatedly look as if they are not able to cope, probably because they can't.

It's a price we have to pay for having such an attacking threat down the left.

Surely this gap can be filled by the holding midfielder pushing across, alternatively a centre half like Lascelles pushing across, either way teams have worked it out.

A back 4 of Lichaj - Mancienne - Hobbs - Fox is a pretty good one if they're all fully fit.

Surely this gap can be filled by the holding midfielder pushing across, alternatively a centre half like Lascelles pushing across, either way teams have worked it out.
    I thought Gardener when playing DM was supposed to do that. Not sure he has been of late.