Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dad

Default My Dad

Hi all

I'm sorry to post this on here and mods please feel free to move/delete if not appropriate.

Earlier this week my Father passed away at the age of 59. He was a lifelong Forest fan and i've been feeling that I somehow needed to let my fellow Forest faithful know that one of their own has passed away. My Dad never posted on this Forum but he read it a lot and discussed the various topics with me. Apart from being with his family, he was never happier than when talking about or watching Forest.

My Dad began supporting Forest shortly after our 1959 FA Cup victory (glory hunter) and was lucky enough to be in the stands for both of our European cup finals. He infected me with the Forest bug from a young age and although I haven't seen the success he did (yet), i've loved every second of supporting the same club as my Dad. Sadly it won't be the same without him.

I've been fortunate enough to hear his stories of being a Forest fan during the Clough & Taylor years, such as my Dad being on the same flight out to one of the European finals as the players and sitting right next to them and Cloughy himself. I loved the way my Dad spoke about Clough, it was as if he was genuinely in complete awe of him, and it led me in turn to be in awe of a man I couldn't even remember managing Forest.

We always used to say that we thought Forest would get back to the top division before my Dad died but sadly that never happened. It all seems comparatively trivial now but if and when it does happen I will be raising a glass to my old man.

He was an amazing Father and a brilliant person, I was incredibly lucky. Maybe some of you met him at a Forest match, perhaps you were there and shared a drink with him in Munich or Madrid. One of his 60th birthday presents was going to be a trip to the City Ground (living in Cornwall meant he rarely went over the last few years) so it's going to be pretty emotional for me the next time i'm there.

Part of me is not even sure why i've written this but somehow I had to do it to pay tribute to my Dad. Nottingham Forest was such a big part of who he was. To me, who he will always be.

RIP Dad, and come on you reds!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: My Dad

Sorry to hear that Lukeyshep. Take care of your family, they need you now. Thanks for telling us about your Dad, he was a superb Forest supporter.

Default My Dad

Thanks for sharing Lukeyshep , brings a tear to the eye. Rip.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Condolences.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Very sad,and I'm sure a lot of us can empathise.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like you had a great Dad.

That's a really lovely post, and I for one am grateful you've written it OP. LTLF is, in a small way, a bit like an extended on-line family, so being there on occasion for any member who feels the need to share something personal like this is an important duty.

Sorry for your loss mate. Brought a lump to my throat. I hope you get to the City Ground soon to toast your dad. He would have enjoyed todays game I am sure. Beautiful sunshine and a cracking performance. Look after your family as they will need you.

Sorry for your loss mate, Dads and Football go together, its just one of those things, best wishes

lol

Sorry for your lost man. Always sad hearing that a fellow forest fan has past away. Rip

So sorry for your trouble. And thank you for reminding us why we care about such a stupid thing as a football club. It's not really about 22 millionaires chasing a sphere of leather. It's about memory and connection and shared experiences. And that's not really stupid at all. It's what adds up to a life. You'll always have that with your Dad and every Forest game will bring it back to you.

bullittboy

By 'eck! They started young then.
    Must have been no more than three when he became a Forest fan.
    At that age I hadn't got a clue.
    BTW I lost my old man a few years ago. Although not close I miss him greatly.

Thank you Lukeyshep for sharing your story with us. It is a lovely post and your Dad would be proud. Deepest condolences.

Victor Meldrew

God bless you.

Great tribute.
    RIP lukeyshep snr.

Lovely tribute. Sorry for your loss. My old man is the same age this month. Brings it home a little.

Beautiful post.

Heartfelt condolences.

Nice tribute mate.

Your dad was only a couple of years younger than me and we must have walked the same road together re Forest so he like me would have had some wonderful memories and like me has passed them down to his son. Remember him with a smile lad

Good tribute, glad you wrote it, hope the weeks get easier on you, sorry to lose a fantastic Forest fan, god bless you both.

Dancing in the Trent End

Just goes to show supporting a football club is more than what it sounds. And I'm sure you answer "Why do you support Forest?" in exactly the same way as me.

"Because my dad does".

Rest easy old lad.

Last edited by Fallon; 08-03-15 at 10:01.

Thanks for posting that. Your dad would be proud to read it.

I know just why you posted that. 59 is too young and the shock of losing someone you love stays with you for a long time. You probably never told him just how much he meant to you because you think the ones you love will be there for ever.

Just as when my wife died, I had to tell her how much I loved her, no matter that she was not around to hear or see it.

Lovely post x

Great tribute to your father,I am 59 and must have walked the same path as your father,both European Cup Finals and Munich with Frank Clarke,s team when Chetts scored,
    So sad for your loss
    RIP Forest Fan God Bless