Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sense of Deja Vu

Default A sense of Deja Vu

Does anyone else feel a real sense of Deja Vu with Nottingham Forest this season?

Started off with the manager a lot of people campaigned for, fresh set of new players, exciting young talent coming through the ranks, great start to the season.
    Then disaster strikes as our captain gets injured in a match against our local rivals which turns out to be long term which keeps him out for the remainder of the season. Towards the end of the year results are not as good but still wins are grinded out, however slowly start to fade.
    Defensive injury crisis hits, we're left without a competent centre back pairing.

Backroom goings on cause a distraction and rife amongst fans within the club leaving them confused and slightly embarrassed.

Our main creativity man, Andy Reid is hit by injury when he seemed to be the one thing keeping us together within the midfield, and barely features again all season.

January sees us with a big win which surprised everybody, especially the viewers on TV, and despite an terrible run of results maybe things are turning around?
    We sack the manager we thought was the right man for the job, and rely on fielding youngsters for the remainder of the season.

That sums up this season so far doesn't it? Well I was actually talking about the 2013/2014 season. So where are we going wrong? Why have we not managed to progress despite the fact we've spent considerable amounts of money, changed this and that, I still don't think looking back exactly a year ago or even the year before that we've come very far at all, which is worrying.

What can we do to change? I feel like we've seen it all before.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Impressive member

Default Re: A sense of Deja Vu

Can this Deja Vu play left-back?

But what if it's not Adidas?

Twitter @blockomw

I wouldnt have said a lot of people wanted Pearce as manager, they just backed him to the hilt once he was appointed, also we have a new manager in charge now and dont have to wait till the summer and although the backroom shenanigans have been embarrassing, there isnt the total gutted Wasteland that Davies left behind

Quote Originally Posted by cms186 View Post
    I wouldnt have said a lot of people wanted Pearce as manager, they just backed him to the hilt once he was appointed, also we have a new manager in charge now and dont have to wait till the summer and although the backroom shenanigans have been embarrassing, there isnt the total gutted Wasteland that Davies left behind
    It was the same as a lot of people wanted Billy Davies back as manager, and they got him.

Davies' backroom antics were embarrassing and made us look unprofessional, same as these unpaid bills and awol players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    It was the same as a lot of people wanted Billy Davies back as manager, and they got him.

Davies' backroom antics were embarrassing and made us look unprofessional, same as these unpaid bills and awol players.
    awol players?

and yes, a lot of people wanted Davies here, im saying that not a lot of people were calling for Pearce to be manager ( and though its all well and good saying this after the fact, I was against both appointments, a lot more so against Davies, I believe i started a thread on here after his appointment about it )

Late paid bills ( not uunpaid, theres a difference ) do make us look unprofessional, but they arent as damaging to the structure of the club as Davies reign was. There is a good structure at the club, the academy seems to be doing well again with players coming through and featuring in the first team and given our embargo, thats essential. All in all, i would say the club is in far better health than it was just after Davies left.

oopsy daisy!

Does anyone else feel a real sense of Deja Vu with Nottingham Forest this season?

Started off with the manager a lot of people campaigned for, fresh set of new players, exciting young talent coming through the ranks, great start to the season.
    Then disaster strikes as our captain gets injured in a match against our local rivals which turns out to be long term which keeps him out for the remainder of the season. Towards the end of the year results are not as good but still wins are grinded out, however slowly start to fade.
    Defensive injury crisis hits, we're left without a competent centre back pairing.

Backroom goings on cause a distraction and rife amongst fans within the club leaving them confused and slightly embarrassed.

Our main creativity man, Andy Reid is hit by injury when he seemed to be the one thing keeping us together within the midfield, and barely features again all season.

January sees us with a big win which surprised everybody, especially the viewers on TV, and despite an terrible run of results maybe things are turning around?
    We sack the manager we thought was the right man for the job, and rely on fielding youngsters for the remainder of the season.

That sums up this season so far doesn't it? Well I was actually talking about the 2013/2014 season. So where are we going wrong? Why have we not managed to progress despite the fact we've spent considerable amounts of money, changed this and that, I still don't think looking back exactly a year ago or even the year before that we've come very far at all, which is worrying.

What can we do to change? I feel like we've seen it all before.
    What we need to do is to keep changing managers every 6 months or less if not everyone is absolutely 100% positive about them.

It's an absolute sure fire guarantee way of achieving long term success and stability.

I get this feeling every season. It's just one piece of negative news after another emanating from the City Ground these days.

Bad karma. We stepped on too many ants or something.

Someone fetch a priest!

With Forest it's a case of recurring Deja Vu all over again

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by hannahd View Post
    I get this feeling every season. It's just one piece of negative news after another emanating from the City Ground these days.
    Actually, it isn't, but it depends on how you want to view things I guess. I notice you tend to be very downbeat regarding anything the current owners have had a hand in,perhaps we should take time to occasionally remind ourselves that it wasn't all sweetness and light before they arrived, in fact, we were rather staring down the barrel until they arrived.*

Care to list out all the negative bits of news?

*This is not saying that I think the current owner is fantastic and should be forgiven everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    Can this Deja Vu play left-back?
    No, but his brother Dave Ja Vu can play left back though!

It's been bad news ever since the board shafted Bassett and sold Campbell and Cooper behind his back. I don't think the club has really
    recovered from that incident. We've just adopted a short-termist policy since then, so it's no wonder we have spent nearly two decades outside
    the top flight with no real prospect of promotion looking likely in the next three years at least.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by hannahd View Post
    It's been bad news ever since the board shafted Bassett and sold Campbell and Cooper behind his back. I don't think the club has really
    recovered from that incident. We've just adopted a short-termist policy since then, so it's no wonder we have spent nearly two decades outside
    the top flight with no real prospect of promotion looking likely in the next three years at least.
    I fully agree with that.

But when we try a long term plan a part of the fanbase throws their dummy out of the pram because it isn't givig them success NOW.

Until everyone connected to Nottingham Forest - From owner and management team through to the people paying at the turnstiles - can get behind a long term plan and not demand it is changed if it isn't producing instant results then Forest will continue to be an utter shambles. And sadly, that sort of unified support is not going to happen.

Embarrassing - a word I hear so often when it comes to football fans.

If you truly are embarrassed by the actions of businessmen in a football club's boardroom, or by millionaires kicking a bag of wind around a field, then I suggest you either need to get out more or you haven't done your fair share of puking outside a Wetherspoons on a Friday night.

This is Forest.

It is what it is.

We are where we are

winnits

There'll be many twists and turns, Natalie.

We've got the fan base,the academy,a supportive but impulsive owner.We do however lack a proper strategy to get out of this crap league.We've stumbled around like punch drunk boxer for nearly two decades.It is surely now obvious that trying to buy our way up is a disaster & now a non starter owing to our embargo.SP has put proper building blocks in place,investment in young hungry players is the way forward,dump the overpaid mercenaries (they know who they are) & let's have some patience with DF & our youth policy.

Someone fetch a priest!

Reckon this Deja Vu would be a good choice to be fair, Dutch managers always bring success.

What separates us from the other animals? Pattern recognition. Our brains fall over themselves to do it, all the time, which is how come we can do maths and so on. We also have something called confirmation bias wherein we can more readily recognise patterns that we expect to see, whether good or bad, because that's how you avoid danger, and evolve. Applying that to Forest, it's not surprising that the deja vu feeling can occur, I nodded sagely when Hobbs got crocked, because that conformed with my expectations, rightly or wrongly. Then I had a rant about it on here. People were surprised because it wasn't a typical post from me. again, change in a pattern spotted and commented upon.

The thing is, when we're seeing this 'same old, repetitive' stuff at the club the key thing is to decide that our brains will take care of all that stuff without us trying, and to focus our efforts I finding evidence to the contrary, in order to develop a balanced view.

So, differences:

The squad is better this year. If you'd offered us Britt for Cox, Fryatt for Djebbour and the Dutch kid who scores in every game for Henderson, we'd have shat our pants. And they are better. Burke for MAckie? By Xmas, we'd all have taken that. Mancienne for Halford, Tesche for Moussi, Anotnio for no-one, and/or Tyson if you want to go back a bit.

Last Season Paterson was incredible at times. This season he's incorrigible at times.

The same players are injured because they are fucked players, and once a player is fucked, he's fucked. Johnson, Webb. At least we've established that about these 3 now.

The Academy, playing right now in front of 4000 fans. Why bother going on loan to Notts with those crowds?

No-one hates the manager this season, whichever of the two you talk about.

Media relations are, locally at least, superb. It may be typical doggerell from the manager's mouths but it's not insulting our intelligences more than the average.

Catering contract's a year closer to ending

..so yeah, there' stuff. I'm sure others can think of more.

tl;dr: Forest fans a re predisposed to moping and the negatives are easier to spot and retain in the mind. It's helpful to investigate positives in order to maintain a balanced view.

Quote Originally Posted by winnits View Post
    There'll be many twists and turns, Natalie.

Birth deformity or unfortunate accident?

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Birth deformity or unfortunate accident?
    Both.