Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 141 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default Bird Feeding - sponsored by Lard

Come on them ,

Who does it ?

What feed do you have ?

What birds have you seen in your garden ?

I purchased a cheap feeding station from BM stores last year only cost £6

Tried Fat balls , peanuts, sunflower hearts , seed mix, meal worms.

Have sparrows , blue tits, starlings, Blackbirds, Magpies, Wood pidgeons and also a sparrow hawk which only came for the sparrows not the feed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Bird Feeding

I had one when I was in London. It would attract tits and finches, but mostly these -

Oh nuts.jpg

I don't have one now. It would be cruel for the cats!

I used to feed with sunflower hearts. But it encouraged rats, so had to stop, now no rats!

I know they can be a problem (squirrels), Thankfully we don't have them around here.

Last edited by lard; 07-02-15 at 13:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotchip View Post
    I used to feed with sunflower hearts. But it encouraged rats, so had to stop, now no rats!
    Alot of people say watch out for rats , So far I haven't seen one. And welcome to the Forum.

Last edited by lard; 07-02-15 at 13:32.

I gave what sunflower hearts I had left to my dad. He then got rats, so he stopped, he still feeds birds with meal worms, rats don't seem to like them.

Out for a walk today and these bad boys came for some bread........

20150206_073826-001.jpg

winnits

I have three birds in the house

We do feed the garden birds too

You will need to buy a niger seed feeder and seeds. They're pretty pricey but well worth it for the Goldfinches. They will also attract Greenfinches. They're pretty attractive to finches, they love them but it will probably take a while for them to notice them or start to use the feeder. The birds need to trust the surroundings and feeders first. The sparrows will eat them if they're is nothing else available. Sparrows are supposed to be rare nowadays but I've loads in our garden and they are greedy little feckers.

I'd advise to pay as much as you can afford for bird seed, because skimping on it is false economy. The birds will discard those that they don't like
    in order to find the seeds they do like, or they will not eat it at all. The discarded seeds will attract pests such as rats, pigeons and crows. Also, with bird seed mixes, try to get the ones with no husks as the birds will crack the seed and discard the husks. This will create a mess.

Another tip is for Squirrels, if theyre a problem on your peanuts, sprinkle the peanuts with cayenne pepper. It will not affect the birds as they have a dry mouth but it does deter the squirrels for a while. The peanuts will go mouldy pretty quickly though. There is really no way to deter squirrels and I've tried everything, traps, contraptions, pepper, banging on the window like a nutter. I found the best deterrent to be the hosepipe

Top tips

1. Sunflower Hearts or Black sunflower.
    2. Buy niger seed for goldfinches (you will not regret it)
    3. A quality seed mix with no husks.
    4. Fresh water in a Birdbath (clean it regularly)
    5. Clean your feeders regularly.
    6. Place feeders near cover, bushes and trees. The birds will feel safer from their predators if they have quick cover and escape routes.
    7. Buy a good pair of binoculars and have patience to wait. It will take a while to get a good variety of species visiting. I've had all sorts of visitors over the years.
    8. Pepper your nuts.

I'd go through a list of species if you're interested Lard. It does help that I'm pretty near woodland and a local watercourses though.

Last edited by Pierre Stan Roydonk; 07-02-15 at 16:33.

Banned

Always encouraged birds into the garden by feeding them, when we lived out amongst the sticks, the variety of birds we attracted were not as varied as we attract now whilst living on the edge of a town.

As we are moving right back to the sticks, it will be interesting to compare once more, when we get settled.

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred View Post
    Always encouraged birds into the garden by feeding them, when we lived out amongst the sticks, the variety of birds we attracted were not as varied as we attract now whilst living on the edge of a town.

As we are moving right back to the sticks, it will be interesting to compare once more, when we get settled.
    I found I had more variety when we lived slap bang in the centre of Nottingham. We're out in the suburbs now and near woodland but we attract less of a variety. I think the problem is that the tall trees here attract nesting crows, magpies and Jays. They attack the nests and young of the smaller birds.

Although, the Magpies, Jays and Jackdaws are beautiful, I hate them in the garden.

frankwignall

Bastard Greeks keep shooting the fuckers for summat to do in the winter. Our cat can be a bit of a twat too. That's the thanks you get for rescuing the bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Stan Roydonk View Post
    8. Pepper your nuts.
    Cheers Pierre, that burns like fuck.
    I'll never listen to you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Cheers Pierre, that burns like fuck.
    I'll never listen to you again.
    It works for me.

I had a green-finch nibbling my nuts earlier.

We have a covered bird table.
    I put bread on it.
    The weimarnaer sits beneath it waiting for the jackdaws to toss her a crust.
    We also have a hanging feeder as well.
    So far we have had goldfinches, green finches, a family of long tailed tits, a couple of nuthatches, blue-tits and what I think is either a great tit or a coal tit - I think they look similar.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I feed my bird like a horse.

I walk around like everything is fine but deep down, in my shoe, my sock is sliding off.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    We have a covered bird table.
    I put bread on it.
    The weimarnaer sits beneath it waiting for the jackdaws to toss her a crust.
    We also have a hanging feeder as well.
    So far we have had goldfinches, green finches, a family of long tailed tits, a couple of nuthatches, blue-tits and what I think is either a great tit or a coal tit - I think they look similar.
    (Coal Tit) is smaller with a white tuft/stripe on its head. Much similar size to the long tailed tits. It's less brash than the rather larger great tit.

(Great Tit) They have bright yellow breasts with a thick dark band of black. I've noticed their breast have been paler lately, they are becoming more white in my area, much like the coal tit. I have had trouble distinguisheding between them too. The white stripe on the head of the coal tit is a good clue though.

I'm that sad that I can even distingquish the calls of some of the birds in the garden. The goldfinch has a lovely song.

Quote Originally Posted by Hand ShAndy! View Post
    I feed my bird like a horse.
    You put a feed bag over her head?

Last edited by Pierre Stan Roydonk; 07-02-15 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Stan Roydonk View Post

I'd go through a list of species if you're interested Lard. It does help that I'm pretty near woodland and a local watercourses though.
    Yes please do.
    Since using the sunflower hearts the Blue tits have been back ( only been using it a few days) A great tit visited in the summer but not seen it since.

I am using this as my main seed , Its decent stuff and there is zero waste http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peckish-Comp...ords=bird+seed

These are the hearts
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Mind they have gone up £2 since Jan 31 !!

Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    I am using this as my main seed , Its decent stuff and there is zero waste http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peckish-Comp...ords=bird+seed
    That's what I'm feeding at the moment Lard. They seem to like it and yes there is no mess, it's pricey though. I often buy cheaper separate bags of seeds and create my own mixes. I'm a bit OCD that way.

I currently have a 12.5kg bag of Peckish Complete and a 20kg bag of hearts. I mix the two together and they go crazy for it. I've a 30 inch 6 port feeder and in the spring/summer the birds will completely empty it in one day.

I've a 2kg bag of niger for goldfinches. A couple of fat/seed cakes and a bag of black sunflower. In the spring I buy live small mealworms from the pet store and feed them to the Robins. Last spring/summer they fleged a brood of three and they all fed on the live mealworms. They also love dried mealworms.

In my years of feeding here I've had a few variety although as I've said earlier I had more variety in the city centre.

Seed feeders: Robins, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, House Sparrow.

Table/Birdbath: Blackbird, Song thrush, Sparrowhawk (unwelcome but awesome) Jay, Green Woodpecker (he comes for the ants and acorns) Wren. Woodpidgeon (sits/shits in the birdbath for half hour) Dunnock. Redwing.

Peanuts: Greater Spotted Woodpecker (visits every day in the summer) Blue tits, Great tits, Long tailed tits (pink and white balls of fluff, I love em) I'd love Nuthatches like the captain gets visiting.

Non feeder/bird table visitors have included a pair of Bullfinch one Spring/Summer, Kestrel, Mouse. Last year we had a random wader/waterbird that I've still not identified.

I'm sure there's a lot more that I've either not seen or have forgotten. The Goldfinches are my favourite, as once seen and heard they are never forgotten.

Last edited by Pierre Stan Roydonk; 07-02-15 at 20:51.

Yeah the sparrowhawk was amazing if a little sad

Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    Yeah the sparrowhawk was amazing if a little sad

I saw a sparrow hawk take out a sparrow in my garden once, as you say incredible but a bit sad too.

Yep seen it do it twice now , My wife wanted to bang on the window to scare it off , Sadly it was too late.