Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 4 of 184 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Massive Member

Default Re: Bird Feeding

Aldi have a great offer on fat balls at the minute. Saw them in there today.

(No innuendo meant, they are genuinely have fat balls on offer)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Home Bargains has a pretty good bumper bag of mixed wild bird seed at the moment.
    Treated our garden birds to it plus bought a seed feeder for them (£1.99) and a tub of fat balls - 50 for £4.99.
    They need to get used to the new feeder, but the robins and the sparrows are already hammering away at the seed and fat balls that I put on the bird table.
    I got the bag of seed you are talking about a few months back but sadly loads of it started sprouting in my lawn , So I moved to the Peckish complete (no mess) stuff and its alot better you do get what you pay for sadly. The fat balls are good from HB though

Anyone seen a thrush lately. Can't remember the last time i saw one

frankwignall

Quote Originally Posted by OLDMANRED View Post
    Yes on our lane with buckshot in it. Greeks eh? I'm trying but it ain't easy.

One single bird last year in the garden and only the once , They are Red status which is why we don't see them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    One single bird last year in the garden and only the once , They are Red status which is why we don't see them anymore.
    Shame that. I used to sit hours watchin a thrush knock 9 bags of shit out of a snail

frankwignall

Save the snails that's what I say.

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

I've got fat balls on offer.

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by winnits View Post
    I've got fat balls on offer.
    I'll stick with aldi mate. No hard feelings, I'm just a bit skint at the minute

Senior Curmudgeon

Winnits is dead cheap, just pay him in other people's posts.

winnits

I think they go away each winter. Song Thrushes chuck my fallen leaves around each spring, I always look out for Mistle Thrushes but cant remember seeing one for a few years?

Was once asked to play for England.

Where's me hammer?

Wrong thread? Surely POF?

Ah, a thread for the sophisticated gentleman.

I live about as far south as it's possible to get in this country outside cornwall. We bought a house (took me 40 years but I did it) in an out-of-the-way valley last year. There are tawny owls aplenty, including a chick last summer in the woods at the back; buzzards by the dozen; a raven flies over fairly regularly (sounds like a pig); swallow's nest in the garage (two broods last summer); plus jays and woodpeckers occasionally flash by. There are four or more wrens currently wintering inside an old swallow's nest by the back door who get very confused when I go outside at night and fly into the house and try to hide in appliances that are unsuitable for birds.

We have a feeder but I've actually been a bit underwhelmed by the visitors: just blue tits, great tits & sparrows to the hanging feeder and robins, blackbirds and pigeons to the table plus the occasional idiot gull. There is a niger feeder which was untouched for months until it was emptied by goldfinches in a couple of days. Now it's been untouched for another few months since I refilled it. There are a couple of famous (for twitchers) bird reserves within a few miles where people see genuinely rare things (cirl buntings etc) but my Dad in east bridgford gets a much greater variety of birds in his garden than I do.

I've been wondering if you get a greater variety of birds near towns these days as they get fed better there. Either that or there is so much natural food near me they don't need to come to the feeder. It might also be the location I guess, it's pretty close to the house at the end of a deck, but the garden goes up about 45 degrees behind the house so there's not really a lot of scope for feeding up there where I can see it.

I bought a sack of some posh bird seed at half price last summer and it's still going (the greedy bastards can empty the 18 inch hanger in a day but I only fill it once a week or so). To put on the table I've been buying el cheapo oats from the supermarket and mixing them with el cheapo raisins and a bag of seeds (sunflower, or mixed seeds if I'm feeling generous) and a handful of dried mealworms. Again doesn't last long.

I read somewhere that the only birds that can eat whole wheat grains are pigeons, so I've been avoiding buying mixes that have them in (most of them as far as I can see). Not sure if it's true or not. I still get pigeons.

Hello Rufus, most of the Goldfinches and other finches will have migrated to the continent for the winter. This is why the Niger may be untouched for a few months. They will be back for the summer. As somebody else mentioned in here earlier they also love sunflower hearts.

Yeah since putting out Sunflower hearts I have managed to steal next doors Blue tit family . It pisses him right off

I hope we're going to see some pictures and identification questions in this thread.

Maybe a Waxwing or two before the winter is done..

Senior Doom Monger

I got the bag of seed you are talking about a few months back but sadly loads of it started sprouting in my lawn , So I moved to the Peckish complete (no mess) stuff and its alot better you do get what you pay for sadly. The fat balls are good from HB though
    Very little sprouts on our lawn since we got the Weimaraner bitch.
    Her pee has chemical weapon grade toxicity.

Senior Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Very little sprouts on our lawn since we got the Weimaraner bitch.

Her pee has chemical weapon grade toxicity.

Try training her to use a particular area and save the rest, I've done that and they mainly stick to it.
    Alternatively there is an Australian? product which is a rock that you put in the water bowl and it supposedly neutralises the nasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Try training her to use a particular area and save the rest, I've done that and they mainly stick to it.
    Alternatively there is an Australian? product which is a rock that you put in the water bowl and it supposedly neutralises the nasty stuff.
    One of my customers tried them rocks and they didn't work , I told her she either has a nice lawn but gets rid of dog (bitch) or keeps the dog and has a crap lawn. Or she can have both but keep the dog off it ( This never ever happens)

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Senior Curmudgeon

One of my customers tried them rocks and they didn't work , I told her she either has a nice lawn but gets rid of dog (bitch) or keeps the dog and has a crap lawn. Or she can have both but keep the dog off it ( This never ever happens)

My dogs 95% don't piss on the grass but the bitch forgets herself sometimes and bang, a brown patch for the summer.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Just been and bought one of those aldi ones, other half wanted the caravan one but there were non left so got the grey house. We only put the other one up to keep pests off our veg in the raised beds.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Hand ShAndy! View Post
    Just been and bought one of those aldi ones, other half wanted the caravan one but there were non left so got the grey house. We only put the other one up to keep pests off our veg in the raised beds.
    Nice one lets have a photo of it.