Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bird Feeding

Whats this bollocks about not giving them bread. Give mine suet balls, suet blocks mealworms and sunflower seeds but they still savage bread when i throw it out for them

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I saw a sparrow hawk take out a sparrow in my garden once, as you say incredible but a bit sad too.
    I saw one tackle a full size pidgeon in my garden. I disturbed it as it sat on it to rip it up. The hawk flew away but the pidgeon still sat there like a dopey c**t.

Saw a seagull sort of eating a pigeon alive in San Francisco. I tried to stop it, so did another guy. But it picked the pigeon up, flew with it and dropped it further down the road and carried on.

winnits

Aye, at my old place heard a thunk outside the spare bedroom window, looked out to see a sparrow hawk on the flat roof having just downed a wood pigeon. They have such piercing eyes! She was scared off by me but can't think the poor pigeon lasted much longer!

Seagulls are dicks.

The Sparrowhawk we have does a regular run up and over the fences. They're not typically sparrow hunters as they'll take anything given half a chance. They'll even take rodents and rabbits. A bit of a misnomer that name.

I forgot the Tawny Owl from my list. I've not seen him but, I regularly hear him.

frankwignall

Ya should see some of the eagles and buzzards near me. The crows spend all day trying to chase them off. We only seem to get the owls in the summer. Buggered if I know where they get too.

frankwignall

We get 3 or 4 scops owls that surround the house in summer and spend all night calling to each other. The more years we are here the braver they seem to get. One cheeky bugger last year used to sit on the roof and watch us eating dinner.

I once saw a hedgehog and a kestrel having a fight once. Hedgehog won on points.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Stan Roydonk View Post

You put a feed bag over her head?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...feed+the+horse

[QUOTE=Barry;2870882]Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes.[/QUOTE]

Tits like coconuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Penguin View Post
    Tits like coconuts.

That has made me laugh far more than it deserves!

winnits

It's true!

Im feeding Partridge and Pheasant

PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO

lovely thread, i love all the wildlife and been worried about the birds this winter, quite alot of snow and ice here in huthwaite

anyway my buddies are 2 robins and a blackbird , 1 robin is quite friendly and comes up close to the patio doors to attract attention if he's hungry, the the other robin is alot more shy, unfortunately they only usually get bread though sometimes crunched up chocalate digestive buscuits

i also went down the lake in brierly park and fed all ... yes every duck and swan .. well tried to be as fair as possible

they all start wandering out the water and up the bank now, the young first year still greyish swan is the bravest and most in ya face, followed closely by his mum and dad but all the ducks seem to pluck up courage, mallards, coots, moorhens ...

the most shy and sweetest and me favorite is the 1 tufted duck on his own, very shy and i have to try to throw him some tucker

good work

started thinking about nest boxes but know i'll have to put one up soon .. maybe already too late for this year .. any suggestions ideas about nest boxes
    i'll definately put a feeder up when i get paid

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO View Post
    started thinking about nest boxes but know i'll have to put one up soon .. maybe already too late for this year .. any suggestions ideas about nest boxes
    Advice here mate.
    http://tinyurl.com/pervznc

I'd just advise to be purchasing a strong one with a strong roof and build. If it doesn't come with one already fitted then I'd consider installing one of these. http://tinyurl.com/llx8f5g This can prevent woodpeckers from enlarging the hole to get at the eggs or young of whatever is nesting in the box. Weasels, Squirrels and Magpies will also get in it if the hole is too large. Keep it out the reach of cats and never use a perch on the front as it'll give intruders something to purchase on.

You can buy them with colour cameras and connections nowadays.

If you're handy you could also try building one yourself. My dear departed gramps used to make all his boxes, baths and tables.

Last edited by Pierre Stan Roydonk; 08-02-15 at 03:30.

frankwignall

Anyone been down the M40 around junction 5 the stokenchurch cutting. Loads of red kites. Someone put a pair there years ago as they were nearly extinct and they just seemed to like the area. I think someone started a website about them.

winnits

Anywhere near Marlow and there's loads of them circling the skies. Stunning birds. I nearly crashed so many times driving round there

Quote Originally Posted by winnits View Post
    Anywhere near Marlow and there's loads of them circling the skies. Stunning birds. I nearly crashed so many times driving round there

Do you know what the large birds of prey are around Rockingham? They look like kites to me but I can't be certain. Healthy population there too of whatever they are!

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Stan Roydonk View Post

Advice here mate.
    http://tinyurl.com/pervznc

I'd just advise to be purchasing a strong one with a strong roof and build. If it doesn't come with one already fitted then I'd consider installing one of these. http://tinyurl.com/llx8f5g This can prevent woodpeckers from enlarging the hole to get at the eggs or young of whatever is nesting in the box. Weasels, Squirrels and Magpies will also get in it if the hole is too large. Keep it out the reach of cats and never use a perch on the front as it'll give intruders something to purchase on.

You can buy them with colour cameras and connections nowadays.

If you're handy you could also try building one yourself. My dear departed gramps used to make all his boxes, baths and tables.
    I used the first link to site my box but I've had no visitors yet. Think there's to many cats around.

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Do you know what the large birds of prey are around Rockingham? They look like kites to me but I can't be certain. Healthy population there too of whatever they are!
    Almost certainly red kites

Not banned, just being a pillock

I get all my bird feeding hints and tips from here.

http://fantasyfeeder.com/cms/index.php

While this may go off topic I am waiting for my Mason Bees to hatch soon

[IMG][/IMG]

This female was backing in to lay her eggs

[IMG][/IMG]

A bumblebee on my ceanothus the other summer
    [IMG][/IMG]