Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 13 of 189 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bird Feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgford_71 View Post
    Envious, a Hoopoe and a Goshawk, I've seen neither before.

Talking of Hawks, a friend of a work colleague has a Harris Hawk. He promised to give me a call the next time he takes her out hunting.

When I worked in the garage I was wandering through the work shop on my cordless phone, something caught my eye, dropped the phone and shat myself.
    One of the mechanics kept birds of prey and for reasons best known to himself had bought a fucking eagle owl to work and it was sat as happy as you like on his bloody toolbox.
    There's something you don't see every day! Beautiful bird and bloody massive.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pair of greenfinches yesterday at the feeder. The owls and woodpeckers are going a bit mental here at the moment. Must be that time of year.

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    Just got out the car at home and saw a heron flying low overhead. Never seen one here before. Last one I saw was on the Trent at Beeston.
    Me and next door neighbour both have decent sized fish ponds, adjacent to each other, either side of the fence.
    We have problems every Spring with a heron who will perch high in a fir tree down the garden, before landing on the patio and then walking towards the pond with grievous intent.
    Close up he is a big bugger, and when I go out to shoo him away he gives me a look of such burning resentment that I am certain he is casting a heron-pikey curse on me...
    The Weimaraner goes berserk when she sees him through the french doors.

Mr Reed Bunting visits everyday now, most of the time he is on his own but his wife tends to call but not with him.
    He has been sat on the mixed seed feeder for a good 10 mins getting a belly full.
    The goldfinchers also visit every day well all day really , They are in a gang of about 4/6 and only go for the sunflower hearts.

Haven't seen the robin about of late or many sparrows I think they may have moved on or gone into the fields.
    wood Pidgeons are getting on my tits a little but they clear up the ground seed that drops so they do a good job.
    Mr blackbird still visits but doesn't get much of a look in with the ground feed.
    Not seen any new birds for quite a while hoping the warmer weather will bring them out.

Just on cue Mr reed bunting has gone and his wife has turned up for her feed .

PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO

help me out with this, there's a couple of robins here, keep seeing one turning up with small worm and flying into the conifers but surely it's to early to have young ones, let alone a nest ... could it be part of courting ritual where he feeds his mate ... thinking i'll have to take the 5 yard walk to the top of the garden and check it out

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO View Post
    help me out with this, there's a couple of robins here, keep seeing one turning up with small worm and flying into the conifers but surely it's to early to have young ones, let alone a nest ... could it be part of courting ritual where he feeds his mate ... thinking i'll have to take the 5 yard walk to the top of the garden and check it out
    Yes you are right

"Courtship feeding is a very prominent activity, and the male can supply over a third of his mate's food intake during nest building and egg laying."

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoveranden...n/nesting.aspx

PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO

Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    Yes you are right

"Courtship feeding is a very prominent activity, and the male can supply over a third of his mate's food intake during nest building and egg laying."

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoveranden...n/nesting.aspx
    thanks for that, i was thinking that surely i would of seen them building the nest and also seemed far to early in the year especially to be feeding the chicks, i can see mr robin as we speak, you noticed with robins that when they sing there is often another robin in the distance replying with a similar song

i guess if the birds do nest early it would surely be a good sign of a good early warm summer? it's been bloody cold seems every day i can remember for months now

saw a barn owl early the other morning about 6.40 am at the back of berry hill mansfield near old newark road really pleased about that as i can count the amount of owls i've seen in the last 20 years on less than 1 hand

newsflash 12.59 1/4/14 just seen robin with nesting material no joke, just as i pressed submit on this post and there's a blackbird nesting in the big conifer and i think a pair of doves in the same conifer, and my garden ain't much bigger than a postage stamp

Last edited by PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO; 01-04-15 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO:PSYCHO:PSYCHO View Post
    thanks for that, i was thinking that surely i would of seen them building the nest and also seemed far to early in the year especially to be feeding the chicks, i can see mr robin as we speak, you noticed with robins that when they sing there is often another robin in the distance replying with a similar song

i guess if the birds do nest early it would surely be a good sign of a good early warm summer? it's been bloody cold seems every day i can remember for months now

saw a barn owl early the other morning about 6.40 am at the back of berry hill mansfield near old newark road really pleased about that as i can count the amount of owls i've seen in the last 20 years on less than 1 hand

newsflash 12.59 1/4/14 just seen robin with nesting material no joke, just as i pressed submit on this post and there's a blackbird nesting in the big conifer and i think a pair of doves in the same conifer, and my garden ain't much bigger than a postage stamp
    Its amazing what you can see when you take the time to look, I don't have any trees for any birds to nest in sadly.

Senior Doom Monger

The long-tailed tit family have returned to our table.
    I haven't beeen able to get a photo of the flitty-flighty pesky critters yet, but I shall.

frankwignall

uploadfromtaptalk1427990424071.JPG
    Missus just sent me this. Its not very clear but better than I've done.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I saw a thing with blue feathers on its wings earlier, it was hopping around our car park, any idea what it was? Looked like it was going after the nest in one of the bushes too.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Hand ShAndy! View Post
    I saw a thing with blue feathers on its wings earlier, it was hopping around our car park, any idea what it was? Looked like it was going after the nest in one of the bushes too.
    Size ?

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Bird size

Like a black and blue pigeon but with a bigger wingspan and leaner body.

frankwignall

Bird size

Like a black and blue pigeon but with a bigger wingspan and leaner body.
    Its my auntie Edna's parrot. She lost it last week. Any chance you can catch it and bring it round?

Did it sound like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXSvsEGlf84

Or possibly a Jay.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by mush View Post
    No, but my notifications on my phone did.

Google reckons it was a black billed magpie, it would explain it's pouncing around looking for food.

Quote Originally Posted by mush View Post
    Or possibly a Jay.
    That reminds me, only ever seen a Jay once. In a tree above our tent last summer.
    Bloody loud ain't they! Heard it before I saw it, you won't be surprised to hear.

frankwignall

Quote Originally Posted by frankwignall View Post
    uploadfromtaptalk1427990424071.JPG
    Missus just sent me this. Its not very clear but better than I've done.
    PS the blue stuff around the bird is the sky. Just trying to be helpful to you UK residents.

New bird alert

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice one. Chaffinch, isn't it? See a lot of them around the woods where I work. Was watching a pair of goldfinches there the other day, beautiful little birds.

yes it is, well chuffed first one in the garden

Last night two partridges walked across our lawn. This morning there was one, it ran, I think when it saw me. Well I think they were partridges, I looked on wiki and partridge is about the best match.

Was once asked to play for England.

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Deforest View Post
    Last night two partridges walked across our lawn. This morning there was one, it ran, I think when it saw me. Well I think they were partridges, I looked on wiki and partridge is about the best match.
    Is the other one sat in your pear tree?