Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crunch Period...

Looking Hairy

Default Crunch Period...

Somewhat incredibly, we play all of the bottom 9 over our next 11 games (with Middlesbrough and Bournemouth at home thrown in) so it's safe to say this is make or break time. By the time we go to Norwich in late March we pretty much need to be back in the top 6 because it's a tough run-in. Until then though, we ought to make hay.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Crunch Period...

One team has been relegated from the Championship this century after amassing 34 points from the first 27 games (dicounting points deductions). 1 out of the 45 sides relegated.

One team has been promoted from the Championship this century after amassing only 34 points or less from the first 27 games. 1 out of the 45 sides promoted.

If you go on those figures we have a 2.23% chance that we don't start next season in the Championship.

Looking Hairy

Never tell me the odds threepio.

Seems like it's the opposite of make or break time to me, really. We're mid-table and as Second Division as they come. Maybe only Ipswich and Watford have spent as much time in the Championship as we have in the last fifteen years. And barring something extremely unlikely either way, we'll be back kicking off another Championship season again August.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    One team has been relegated from the Championship this century after amassing 34 points from the first 27 games (dicounting points deductions). 1 out of the 45 sides relegated.

One team has been promoted from the Championship this century after amassing only 34 points or less from the first 27 games. 1 out of the 45 sides promoted.

If you go on those figures we have a 2.23% chance that we don't start next season in the Championship.
    A pretty telling stat. Suppose we need to mentally prepare ourselves now.
    Does this account for 2 pts for a win versus 3 points a win?

I admire your optimism, stats should be left for top trumps.

We haven't exactly been scooping up points for a while have we?

Is the one that went up Roy Keanes Sunderland?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Trees View Post
    A pretty telling stat. Suppose we need to mentally prepare ourselves now.
    Does this account for 2 pts for a win versus 3 points a win?
    Just since 2000, not the last 100 years. I can't imagine the last fifteen years have been unusual and I doubt that ratio would change much if you were to look further back, but that's just from 1999-2000.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 28-01-15 at 17:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts View Post
    They did come from a long way back, but they won the league. It has to be a team the sneaked into the play-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts View Post
    Reading, surely.

EDIT: Just seen the above. Has to be Dowie's Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichaj of the Tiger View Post
    Reading, surely.

Reading won the league too. It looks like they had 42 points after 27 games that season.

Both teams (the relegation and the promotion) are from the same season. Looking at the table mid season it looks incredible now. The team that was relegated to League One were five places above the team promoted to the Premier League in January after 27 games.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 28-01-15 at 18:24.

Both teams (the relegation and the promotion) are from the same season. Looking at the table mid season it looks incredible now. The team that was relegated to League One were five places above the team promoted to the Premier League in January after 17 games.
    PALACE!

Good fact coming up - having been out of the top flight for so long we are not far from officially being a traditional 2nd tier club;

NFFC Top Flight Seasons: 56

NFFC 2nd Division Seasons: 50

NFFC 3rd Division Seasons: 5

Our stats have really took a hammering since 1999 - couple it with that cup fact from the other thread and we've had a good 20 years of solid under achievement.

A part of me feels as if I was conned at 7 when I chose this club. We were so good back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichaj of the Tiger View Post
    Reading, surely.

Yep. 32 points after 27 games. Walsall had 35 points after 27 games and went down.

Not that type of player

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    This is an outrage!

Apart from the Derby blip, I've seen nothing to indicate we are suddenly going to start picking up points.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Clarks Tash View Post
    Apart from the Derby blip, I've seen nothing to indicate we are suddenly going to start picking up points.
    If we don't pick up anything in the next three games I very much doubt Mr. Pearce will be in charge. Derby game got him more time - but he has to take advantage of that.

Forum Tactician

I see the next 4 games shaping the rest of our season

Millwall 1 win in 15 shipped 30 odd goals
    Wigan 1 win in 15 scored 9 goals
    Blackpool 2 wins in 15 shipped 30 odd goals

If we cant turn this lot over we look like struggling, likewise if we take them to the cleaners & other results go our way it could give us some momentum for a
    play off push

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Fantana View Post
    Good fact coming up - having been out of the top flight for so long we are not far from officially being a traditional 2nd tier club;

NFFC Top Flight Seasons: 56

NFFC 2nd Division Seasons: 50

NFFC 3rd Division Seasons: 5

Our stats have really took a hammering since 1999 - couple it with that cup fact from the other thread and we've had a good 20 years of solid under achievement.
    Watford and Ipswich have spent 13 of the last 15 seasons in the Championship, we're next on 12. Watford and Ipswich's seasons away were spent in the Premier League though, and ours were League One. We're staunchly second division now. When people think of the Championship, they probably think of us first.

Taking all those years we've been out of the top flight into consideration, no matter how much money is spent on arrival, is it reasonable to expect any manager to turn up, start well and sustain it throughout his first season and take us straight up? Three Championship play-off semi-finals in fifteen years, two of the as sixth place. Can anybody really reasonably demand top six or firing? Or would that be madness?

In reality, we're spending another season in the Championship next season. I just hope we can play some entertaining football and give it a real go along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    I see the next 4 games shaping the rest of our season

Millwall 1 win in 15 shipped 30 odd goals
    Wigan 1 win in 15 scored 9 goals
    Blackpool 2 wins in 15 shipped 30 odd goals

If we cant turn this lot over we look like struggling, likewise if we take them to the cleaners & other results go our way it could give us some momentum for a
    play off push
    Ironically they are probably saying the same thing about us!

Let's hope we get an early goal for a change in these games.

Forum Tactician

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    In reality, we're spending another season in the Championship next season. I just hope we can play some entertaining football and give it a real go along the way.
    I can think of a number of obstacles Stuart Pearce has had to overcome to account for our current league position, but not so many to account for the poor standard of football we play. I would be able to swallow being stereotypically mid table Championship easier if the brand of football was easier on the eye.